Don't waste your time...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kajrah07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just giving you guys a heads up

Don't waste your time and money buying those tests online because it doesn't help! I wasted my money buying those tests and when I went to take the mcat this past friday it was completely different. The passages on verbal were so much longer...PS was different and only bio was similar a little

Other than that, MCAT is not a BIG DEAL....just go and take it

I found it to be easier than the practice tests out there

Mcat is not a big deal as much as people make it

Relax and go take it

peace:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree and agree with you. The practice tests are pretty worthless, and I wish I hadn't bought them. All you need is CBT 3.

I took the July 13th test and thought it was really easy even though I was pretty sick. I think the people who were able to take this test and get scored are lucky because this test really was a breeze but not every mcat is like this.

So... was it easy because of the practice that you did? Or was the practice completely useless? Hard to say, but I would think that everyone generally agrees that more practice = better, regardless of source (as long as it isn't too poor in quality). My philosophy, however, is to fixate less on their practice scores though and just use it as a barometer to how I'm progressing in my studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree and agree with you. The practice tests are pretty worthless, and I wish I hadn't bought them. All you need is CBT 3.

I took the July 13th test and thought it was really easy even though I was pretty sick. I think the people who were able to take this test and get scored are lucky because this test really was a breeze but not every mcat is like this.

I thought the 13th test was easy as well, even though i was sick...lol

so we had something in common:p

and no i don't think it was because of practicing too much

i don't know, different people have different opinions...if i have to take it again, i hope not, then i know that you just need to know your basics, and i will go take...i am not going to flip out like crazy

but i also think we were lucky to have a good version

well i just hope i did well, cuz if i didnt i will cry, cuz i thought it was okay, but the bad thing is, whenever i think i did good, i do horrible

and there was not much organic chem on the test! I LOVED that!

I think what practicing does is it just helps you sit through a long test..because basically you have to take a 5 hr test non-stop....the brakes are useless because you have to come back in 10 minutes, it's timed, and by the time you sign out and give your fingerprint you waste so much time

so it helped me with that...and it kind of helps with the format of the test but not that actual material...i dont know what other's thought

I still plan on buying all the AAMC CBT tests since my main problem is timing, endurance, and confidence. I am going to use my scores as a way of gauging my progress in my studies. The AAMC exams WILL help me in this regard.

so you're saying i should not do AAMC practice tests because they are not representative? That is kinda hard to believe.... then what should i do? nothing? lol. Be a little more specific with what you mean please.

Is the MCAT different from the AAMC practice tests? .... Yes!

Would I recommend getting the AAMC practice tests for MCAT prep? ... Yes!

Maybe the AAMC practice tests aren't exactly like the MCAT but I believe they are more realistic than most other practice tests you'll find. Besides, most people would do horrible if they just studied and took the MCAT without knowing the format or the mode of thinking that the MCAT requires. It is essential to know what the test is like before sitting for it. Most people would score horribly as if they were taking a diagnostic test for kaplan. Anyway, I know what you guys are saying about the MCAT not being like the AAMC practices but, in my opinion, they are the closests thing.

A side note: if anyone is low of money for MCAT prep, dont waste your money on the older AAMC tests, just get 7,8,9, and 10. They are sufficient enough to help get a good feel for how the MCAT will be. :)

Is the MCAT different from the AAMC practice tests? .... Yes!

Would I recommend getting the AAMC practice tests for MCAT prep? ... Yes!

Maybe the AAMC practice tests aren't exactly like the MCAT but I believe they are more realistic than most other practice tests you'll find. Besides, most people would do horrible if they just studied and took the MCAT without knowing the format or the mode of thinking that the MCAT requires. It is essential to know what the test is like before sitting for it. Most people would score horribly as if they were taking a diagnostic test for kaplan. Anyway, I know what you guys are saying about the MCAT not being like the AAMC practices but, in my opinion, they are the closests thing.

A side note: if anyone is low of money for MCAT prep, dont waste your money on the older AAMC tests, just get 7,8,9, and 10. They are sufficient enough to help get a good feel for how the MCAT will be. :)

Also, Kaplan gives you full access to the AAMC practice tests as part of their package....

How are you guys so sure that you did so well on it? Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, and it's very likely that you both did get 35+ or whatever score you're aiming for, but if you found it 'easy' as you say, maybe other people did too and the curve could be tighter.

I certainly wouldn't call July 13 "easy". Calling it incredibly hard would be inaccurate as well. I thought it was about average, and doing the AAMC's does help.

Guys, rest assured that the MCAT is NOT easy.

Even if your version was relatively easy and stress free, it was equally easy for the rest of your fellow test takers, which will make for a stricter curve.

Fact is the MCAT is curved to always have the same % of people that get over a 30, and if you are not one of them, your chances of being accepted into a school decrease dramatically.

The only way to score well is to do better than everyone else who took it.

I look forward to the OP posting their score nontheless.

I am not saying not to study from the practice tests, but I feel people should not put all their life into them, yes buy some of them, go over them in detail,
but don't expect it to be similar completely

do go over different sources

a few things could be the same, but rarely

And the MCAT is a hard test, but not impossible...people just stress more, because you are getting tested on many concepts together...other than that it is like a regular test:smuggrin:

i hope i did well

people are saying the 13th mcat was difficult

i dont even remember what happened during the physics section :smuggrin::scared:

so you're saying i should not do AAMC practice tests because they are not representative? That is kinda hard to believe.... then what should i do? nothing? lol. Be a little more specific with what you mean please.

Read what I said above...buy only some, and practice, but do not depend your life on them...and since it is a cbt test, with more versions, most likely everytime you are going to get different things

and so my opinion is know your basic concepts and practice a little and go and take the test

I don't think people need six months of studying :smuggrin:

A good 2-3 months is way more than enough:sleep:

J
Relax and go take it

if you guys took this GOLDEN advice, i guarantee your score to go up a few points. Don't be stupid and take your flashcards in to study during lunch or somethin. It's not going to help....DON'T study the day before the test. This isn't a test you can cram for. It tests analysis of the very basic sciences.

if you guys took this GOLDEN advice, i guarantee your score to go up a few points. Don't be stupid and take your flashcards in to study during lunch or somethin. It's not going to help....DON'T study the day before the test. This isn't a test you can cram for. It tests analysis of the very basic sciences.

thank you....at least someone agrees :thumbup: