Doris Duke/CRTP/HHMI/Sarnoff Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pitt- wait
Columbia - reject
UNC - ...
UCSF- ...
UTSW- ...
Penn- ...
John's Hopkins- ...
MRSP - reject

Also just assuming that a non-reply is rejection. Thought I had a great project for UCSF though. Should I email them or wait longer. Opinions? Prob wouldn't hurt anything. They won't reject my application more, haha.

I'm wondering about Columbia bc I have no rejected/accepted email.
I thought I had a spot at UTSW bc I got the email for requesting times to contact 3 weeks ago.

If somebody from the past can comment, has this happened every year where no emails are sent acceptance or rejection? I'm considering calling but I don't want to call if they are emailing on the weekend or something.
I hope I can get one acceptance at least, gahh this is driving me nuts.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with anything from Wash U? I'm still waiting here (impatiently) as best as I can.

So I just looked at the DDCRF website and it says, "Offers will be made starting March 16, 2012."

I'm thinking they can send anytime up to April 1?:confused:

I'm wondering about Columbia bc I have no rejected/accepted email.
I thought I had a spot at UTSW bc I got the email for requesting times to contact 3 weeks ago.

Did you actually talk to them, though? They only contact a portion of the people they say they're going to.

If somebody from the past can comment, has this happened every year where no emails are sent acceptance or rejection? I'm considering calling but I don't want to call if they are emailing on the weekend or something.
I hope I can get one acceptance at least, gahh this is driving me nuts.

Many programs won't tell you anything. I recommend waiting a week or so and then contacting them if you haven't heard.

Congrats to all that got a spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you actually talk to them, though? They only contact a portion of the people they say they're going to.

Many programs won't tell you anything. I recommend waiting a week or so and then contacting them if you haven't heard.

Congrats to all that got a spot!

Yeah I ending up calling Dr. McPhaul and he said I pretty much had a spot if I wanted it but this was 2 weeks ago and it felt really unofficial?

Man I wish they would just say no instead of giving me false hope.

If we're wailtlisted at a program we really want to attend, is it a great idea to let the program know how much we're interested?

I think that's a good idea.. certainly can't hurt.

I'm just wondering if most people will wait till the end of March before they start to decline offers. This would be a rough limbo period. I just want to know if I should renew my lease! haha

I think that's a good idea.. certainly can't hurt.

I'm just wondering if most people will wait till the end of March before they start to decline offers. This would be a rough limbo period. I just want to know if I should renew my lease! haha

haha :luck:

Accepted to Yale yesterday (surprising because I never interviewed/wasn't even contacted before yesterday) . Withdrew my application today so there's one more spot for you guys.

Accepted to Yale yesterday (surprising because I never interviewed/wasn't even contacted before yesterday) . Withdrew my application today so there's one more spot for you guys.

Did you do the 2 page statement and identify the 4-5 potential mentors?

Thanks. Good luck

Was wondering if anyone had an opinion on Sarnoff vs. HHMI Cloisters. I am absolutely torn between both programs. The Hughes offers incredible amenities and convenience and the chance to be at the NIH! The Sarnoff presents an incredible networking tool for residency, and the assigned mentors seem deeply invested in making sure our year is worthwhile as well as furthering us on our career path. But these are just MY impressions.

Perhaps people who interviewed or people who have actually had to choose between the two could present their motivations/opinions?

Just wanted to add my 0.02 for those lucky enough to be deciding between several fellowship opportunities. IMHO, Sarnoff is probably the most prestigious and most difficult to be accepted. Additionally the networking capacity of this organization is vast and will be extremely valuable in residency applications. The HHMI-NIH campus fellowship, (formerly Cloisters and now MRSP) is probably the next best fellowship. For those that have not yet experienced it, the NIH campus in Bethesda is incredible. The facilities are unparalleled and the people you meet and the networking that can be done on a daily basis within the campus are truly unique opportunities. Staying on your home campus, or campus of your choice, with HHMI Med Fellows or Doris Duke is nice - but if you have the opportunity to go to the NIH "main campus" I would highly encourage it. Re HHMI med fellows vs DD, I would say just go with whatever location you prefer, or whatever project would be more interesting and more fruitful.

Congratulations to all that have been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I did do that.

I had selected the mentors as well but i didn't do a specific 2 page statement I just used the general one from the application. I'm not sure if that was ok, but it seems I got no love from them anyway.

So, are Yale, UTSW, Sinai, Penn, Hopkins, WashU, and Harvard the only ones left or did some of them already make their decisions?

Thanks guys and :luck:

Any updates in the med fellows arena? Anyone on the alternate list receive notification?

Acceptance letters were sent today for the Wash U TL-1 program, for those that applied. Not sure about Doris Duke.

Hopkins offer today.... any word on Mt. Sinai, UTSW, UNC?

Did you apply to the international or domestic Yale? I and a few other friends applied to Yale international and we haven't heard from them yet.

Did you apply to the international or domestic Yale? I and a few other friends applied to Yale international and we haven't heard from them yet.

I only applied to Yale domestic.

so has anyone heard from WashU Doris Duke? I know they sent out TL-1 spots but I dunno if I should still be hoping for a Doris Duke spot or if I'm just smoking a pipe dream.

Emailed a few of the amiss programs and Mt. Sinai is out as is UTSW.

UTSW was the bummer for me, apparently waitlisted; does anybody know if this will move? or do people mostly keep their spots?

I applied to 9 DD's and heard back from only 2 of them lol.

Does anyone know how well waitlists move for Doris Duke programs?

Emailed a few of the amiss programs and Mt. Sinai is out as is UTSW.

UTSW was the bummer for me, apparently waitlisted; does anybody know if this will move? or do people mostly keep their spots?

They told you this ONLY by you emailing them?

Have all of the Mt. Sinai spots gone out?

Anyone hear anything more from UNC? I've only seen one post about acceptances being out. Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know how well waitlists move for Doris Duke programs?

Also, are many of you that have NIH offers (med scholar, med fellows,etc) have DDCRF offers as well? If so, do most people just wate until the end of the month to decline? Or have you already done so? I'm just trying to see what kind of shot I got a couple of schools. Thanks guys :luck: :xf:

Anyone know if 4/15 is the last official day to accept offers (NIH)?

Do you guys know what kind of support is given to Doris Duke fellows upon completion of the fellowship? Annual meetings, research grants, networking, etc?

I'm interesting in this as well.

I'd also like to know specifically how much you pay in taxes out of your 28k. Does this depend at all on how much you pay tuition... or does everyone just lose the same amount to uncle sam? Anyone know what exactly "research expenses" means? Like would an iPad and Macbook Pro be covered?

Do you guys know what kind of support is given to Doris Duke fellows upon completion of the fellowship? Annual meetings, research grants, networking, etc?

Staying on your home campus, or campus of your choice, with HHMI Med Fellows or Doris Duke is nice - but if you have the opportunity to go to the NIH "main campus" I would highly encourage it. Re HHMI med fellows vs DD, I would say just go with whatever location you prefer, or whatever project would be more interesting and more fruitful.

Congratulations to all that have been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

I'm in that position myself - accepted for both a Doris Duke (not my home institution) and the NIH MRSP, and I'm looking for some advice.

I've made a gigantic pros/cons list, weighted everything that's important to me, and when I ran the calculations I got 850 points for one and 860 for the other. Which one was which doesn't really matter - it basically just reinforces that both are great programs and it wouldn't be a mistake to choose either one.

At this point it's down to some of the intangibles. Like you said the NIH program is a totally unique, once-in-a-lifetime type of opportunity. Objectively however, I'm having trouble envisioning how that will affect the experience itself during this year off.

One key concern at this point is that we don't know who our mentors/PIs are or what kind of projects we'll get to work on until we are there on campus in Bethesda. What if I really want to work with someone, but another of the 40-some scholars wants the same? There's so much concentrated talent and research potential at the NIH, but could that be a bad thing in some ways and make it more difficult to carve out the niche that I want? The Doris Duke application process necessitated some early establishment of a potential project, and I've spoken much more extensively with my potential mentor(s), so my picture of a year off there is much clearer in my mind. With the NIH program, it's much hazier trying to imagine what exactly I'm getting myself into.

On another note related to mentorship, I am curious what kind of influence an NIH mentor could potentially have in terms of residency applications. I'm sure I'll get great research training and experiences at either program, but when fourth year rolls by, will I regret not having the chair of _____, who met with me every other week during my Doris Duke, calling his buddies at other institutions to give me a boost? Or will the NIH name, with its broader recognition, offer the same connections and benefits without the guilt of choosing a residency program that is not where I did my Doris Duke?

Lastly, I am confused about the compensation for the two programs. I've done my research but the best stats I can find are:
Doris Duke: 28k stipend + 5k lab/conference funds + health insurance
NIH MRSP: 33.7k stipend + ? lab/conference funds ? + relocation assistance + health insurance
Anyone have more specific/up-to-date numbers? It seems like a big difference and I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Also, what does "relocation" assistance usually entail, and why would it be necessary for a program that already offers pre-furnished housing.

I know I'm not exactly between a rock and a hard place, and I really hope that those of you with no current offers have a change in your luck. In any case, if anyone has advice for my current "burden of choice" I'd really appreciate it!

congrats, Starsinthesky, for getting both offers!
I'd recommend the NIH MSRP over DD for the following reasons:
1. NIH offers a significantly higher compensation and provides all the lab supplies that you might need
2. dedicated researchers at NIH will most likely offer better mentorship than clinicians who do research on the side
3. you won't be able to get the NIH experience later in your career, whereas clinical research at a major medical center will most likely become a permanent part of your career.
4. Bethesda is likely a much more fun and comfortable place to be than most the DD sites.

congrats, Starsinthesky, for getting both offers!
I'd recommend the NIH MSRP over DD for the following reasons:
1. NIH offers a significantly higher compensation and provides all the lab supplies that you might need
2. dedicated researchers at NIH will most likely offer better mentorship than clinicians who do research on the side
3. you won't be able to get the NIH experience later in your career, whereas clinical research at a major medical center will most likely become a permanent part of your career.
4. Bethesda is likely a much more fun and comfortable place to be than most the DD sites.

I'd largely disagree with all of these points. both are good programs though.
1. the 33k requires you pay 1200/mo for one bedroom in a 2bed apartment, which are definitely not the best... you already make up the 5k difference by paying lower rent for a reasonable apartment at a DD site.
2. you can do your DD with PhDs or whoever you want to. Nothing makes you have to work with a busy clinician
3. you can definitely go back to the NIH whenever you want later on. there's nothing stopping you.
4. sorry but NYC/Boston/Philly/SF>Bethesda. It depends on what site you're going to.

I'd largely disagree with all of these points. both are good programs though.
1. the 33k requires you pay 1200/mo for one bedroom in a 2bed apartment, which are definitely not the best... you already make up the 5k difference by paying lower rent for a reasonable apartment at a DD site.
2. you can do your DD with PhDs or whoever you want to. Nothing makes you have to work with a busy clinician
3. you can definitely go back to the NIH whenever you want later on. there's nothing stopping you.
4. sorry but NYC/Boston/Philly/SF>Bethesda. It depends on what site you're going to.

I largely agree with RR.
1. It depends on the DD site and the specific lab. Bethesda is a very expensive area. You'll feel rich at UIowa in comparison. True that NYC/Boston/SF are going to be even worse. Any reasonably funded lab at an institution outside the NIH is going to have what you need in terms of lab resources.

2. Completely agree. Also, many of the mentors that are selected by NIH program participants spend zero time in the lab and all of their time in administrative responsibilities and patient care. Again, you can choose whatever suits you best.

To address Starsin's other concern: if you want a mentor that has already been chosen, you can work with any of the other faculty in that department and still be primarily under that mentor. Happens all the time. Also, NIH and DD faculty are very well connected. You can't go wrong there.

3. You can go back to NIH for residency, fellowship, post-doc, or faculty.

4. Bethesda rocks, I agree, but there are other DD sites that are a lot of fun. This is a purely a personal preference.

Got in to UTSW DD a few days ago, but will not be pursuing it since accepted to top choice year off program, hope there are some good WL movement for everyone who wants in

I hope to be on the acceptance side soon. This wait and no news yet is making me nervous. GL everyone!

Another spot for UTSW should have opened. Good luck everybody!

Got in to UTSW DD a few days ago, but will not be pursuing it since accepted to top choice year off program, hope there are some good WL movement for everyone who wants in

Congrats! McPhaul seriously emailed me yesterday (the 28th) asking about scheduling a phone interview. I could not stop laughing. Yeah, I'm so excited to interview 2 days before the deadline! Some people are ridiculous. Maybe UTSW is still filling its spots so good luck to the remaining applicants!

Congrats! McPhaul seriously emailed me yesterday (the 28th) asking about scheduling a phone interview. I could not stop laughing. Yeah, I'm so excited to interview 2 days before the deadline! Some people are ridiculous. Maybe UTSW is still filling its spots so good luck to the remaining applicants!

Ask him for a good time to call and then don't respond

If we were accepted into a Doris Duke program at this point and said yes, but then our top choice were to contact us in a week offering a spot, is it okay to switch? Or are decisions binding after the 30th?

I declined my current offer already in hopes of my top choice. I thought from the initial offer emails that it would be binding.