DO's and away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegasdo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year DO student planning on going into pathology. After reading all of the previous posts about DO's and pathology I am optimistic about my chances to match. I have a competitive step 1 COMLEX score and my USMLE step 1 score is around the average. I plan on taking USMLE step 2 early as well.

Do you guys think that away rotations for DO students are a must? I am disappointed because I will not be able to do any during my 4th year because I do not want to leave my wife and son for a month. Also, there are no programs here in Vegas. I am resorting to setting up rotations with some local pathologists in the community.

Do you think this will seriously hurt my chances? Can a DO get an interview without doing the audition rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

What's worse, a month away from your family or not matching into a program you want to go to?

I don't like uncertainty, myself, and was not interested in scrambling; therefore, I invested the time at the place I wanted to go to ensure that I'd match there.

On the other hand, if you're a tool or a jerk, it might be better to forego the rotation. We have not matched students based on what they showed us during their rotation. If you go, give it 110%. Be interested, be helpful, show up first and leave last, go out with the residents. Then they will remember you (in a positive way!).

If you want to match to a particular program, then an elective there would certainly help. However, if you can go anywhere for residency, there is no need to worry - you will match. There are way too many spots in Path. The topnotch programs may be very difficuly to get into but matching in Path in general is not an issue, particularly for AMGs (allopathic and osteopathic alike).

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am reading you right, you won't be able to do any path rotations at all? If that is so, I would encourage you to do a rotation somewhere. Unless of course you have done them previously or have experience in pathology. Every interview you go on, people will ask you about why pathology, what experience you have, etc. If the extent of your experience is a 2nd year lab and these forums that is going to be tougher for you. As said, you probably would match, but who knows where.

If I am reading you right, you won't be able to do any path rotations at all?

Oh no, that's not the case. I have set up 2 Path rotations for my 4th year here locally and I have already completed a rotation with the coroner's office here in town. I will not be doing any rotations at residency programs that I am interested in, and this is what I am worried about. I could leave town for a month, but I am making the decision to stay and help take care of my 9 month old.

Thanks guys for the advice. I guess I'll just work hard at the rotations here in town, get good LOR, and do well on step 2.

Oh no, that's not the case. I have set up 2 Path rotations for my 4th year here locally and I have already completed a rotation with the coroner's office here in town. I will not be doing any rotations at residency programs that I am interested in, and this is what I am worried about. I could leave town for a month, but I am making the decision to stay and help take care of my 9 month old.

Thanks guys for the advice. I guess I'll just work hard at the rotations here in town, get good LOR, and do well on step 2.

What rotations are you doing here? I assume you are doing them through Touro. As far as I know there aren't any available (with the exception of the ME rotation and one CP rotation in Reno I believe) through UNSOM. I'd be interested to see what type of surg path rotations you could do here and if it was through Quest or LMC.

What rotations are you doing here? I assume you are doing them through Touro. As far as I know there aren't any available (with the exception of the ME rotation and one CP rotation in Reno I believe) through UNSOM. I'd be interested to see what type of surg path rotations you could do here and if it was through Quest or LMC.

Touro has set up a surg path rotation with a pathologist at Quest. I also contacted a CP with Quest who takes students.