DOs and matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do DOs match in more competitive residencies nowadays? I'm applying allopathic, but I am curious :)

BTW: Noticed a couple DOs in Stanford's ER program. That's very prestigious.

Members don't see this ad.

getting good grades
rocking step I
getting good evals
doing research
etc etc

there's no magical thing DO students must do that's different from MD students to get into a good allo program

getting good grades
rocking step I
getting good evals
doing research
etc etc

there's no magical thing DO students must do that's different from MD students to get into a good allo program

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing any student can do is leave a lasting impression either during a required rotation or elective rotation. Treat all rotations that interest you as an audition. You might even get lucky and be offered a pre-match contract.

We had a student last year from UNECOM turn down Johns Hopkins anesthesiology program because he wanted to be closer to skiing. I'm not kidding.

You can't always look at what programs folks got into. Some students have different criteria for what's important than the name of the program.

How do DOs match in more competitive residencies nowadays? I'm applying allopathic, but I am curious :)

Well you have to look at how selective certain programs/fields are. Anesthesiology is no longer selective, ER never really was, etc...

but, for instance, RadOnc, Dermatology and Plastics are some of the most selective Allopathic residencies to gain a spot for...does an occasional D.O. get one of those spots? I'm sure it happens, but it's never at the top programs...

Ophthalmology is similar...every year a few Ophtho spots go to D.O.'s (and these D.O.s often have USMLE scores wayyyyyyyyyy above the average of the MD matched applicants...i.e. they are outstanding applicants in every way....years of research, etc)...However, it's a fact that none of the "top" programs have taken a D.O. in as long as I can remember...I DID, however, see one D.O. at a top fellowship program (in one of the easier fellowships to obtain)

Is this a reflection on the D.O. degree or not? I honestly cant answer that...it's known that they have difficulty with some of the more selective programs/spots...but they can still match into Allopathic programs if they are a good candidate (as is the case for MD applicants as well)

I doubt stanford ER is very prestigous, just look at their location, I don't think they get very interesting cases.

We had a student last year from UNECOM turn down Johns Hopkins anesthesiology program because he wanted to be closer to skiing. I'm not kidding.

You can't always look at what programs folks got into. Some students have different criteria for what's important than the name of the program.

There is something wrong with this student to turn down Hopkins to go skiing. Wierd....I find this hard to believe.

There is something wrong with this student to turn down Hopkins to go skiing. Wierd....I find this hard to believe.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with him turning down Hopkins to be somewhere where he would be much happier at. It's not hard to believe that Hopkins is not everyone's dream job. It's definitely not mines.:)

Sounds like a bit of a patronizing statement there. A good/motivated student would have done equally well in either MD, DO, or any other profession. I don't think the DO vs MD pissing matches matter in the real world. It seems to be an issue with wound-up premeds that are out of touch with reality. There's plenty of crappy MD schools that have piss-poor matches and stats way lower than most DO schools. Would having gone to one of those lower-tiered MD schools and gotten into that program have impressed you??? Take a 40 MCAT 4.0 GPA student and slap him in a DO school and he'll do just as well as if he would have gone to an MD school. It's the student, not the school that matters.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with him turning down Hopkins to be somewhere where he would be much happier at. It's not hard to believe that Hopkins is not everyone's dream job. It's definitely not mines.:)

He is still crazy lol

Sounds like a bit of a patronizing statement there. A good/motivated student would have done equally well in either MD, DO, or any other profession. I don't think the DO vs MD pissing matches matter in the real world. It seems to be an issue with wound-up premeds that are out of touch with reality. There's plenty of crappy MD schools that have piss-poor matches and stats way lower than most DO schools. Would having gone to one of those lower-tiered MD schools and gotten into that program have impressed you??? Take a 40 MCAT 4.0 GPA student and slap him in a DO school and he'll do just as well as if he would have gone to an MD school. It's the student, not the school that matters.

:thumbup:

Sounds like a bit of a patronizing statement there. A good/motivated student would have done equally well in either MD, DO, or any other profession. I don't think the DO vs MD pissing matches matter in the real world. It seems to be an issue with wound-up premeds that are out of touch with reality. There's plenty of crappy MD schools that have piss-poor matches and stats way lower than most DO schools.

Such as.... :lame:. Your statement is very 'out of touch'

Would having gone to one of those lower-tiered MD schools and gotten into that program have impressed you??? Take a 40 MCAT 4.0 GPA student and slap him in a DO school and he'll do just as well as if he would have gone to an MD school. It's the student, not the school that matters.

Just as well matching?? Probably not. Would he match well? Probably. Nothing is certain, and nothing is equal in certain areas of post-graduate medical education. Surgery being one of them.