DO's and Moh's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boblog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any DO's who do Mohs micrographic surgery? I am a Mohs tech in LA for many MD's and have been admitted to an osteopathic med school. I know getting into a derm residency is tough and the subspecialties are probably even harder. I want to have the option of doing moh's if I choose derm and was wondering if DO's are represented in the world of Mohs. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Nevermind, I found out by going to www.mohscollege.org and searched mohs surgeons and found a few DO's. Only one in CA, at least through the college. The Society didn't have an option as far as I could tell to look up mohs surgeons.

boblog said:
Nevermind, I found out by going to www.mohscollege.org and searched mohs surgeons and found a few DO's. Only one in CA, at least through the college. The Society didn't have an option as far as I could tell to look up mohs surgeons.

Good luck getting Derm. Simply be the top 2-3 people in your graduating class and have a couple of publications, no sweat. Going the DO route for derm is a difficult proposition for 2 reasons. First, the top people in most DO schools are people that were either accepted to MD schools and chose DO over MD, and because even MD students who choose derm have to be top of the top tops. Your connections might help, especially since you are a Moh's Tech, but don't think that will be your saving grace. If you have excellent connections, it only means that you will likely get yourself put in the short stack of applications. But even that stack is ultra competitive, and in the end I have never known anyone to land a derm spot who did not have superb stats. No pressure now heh? Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
PACtoDOC said:
Going the DO route for derm is a difficult proposition for 2 reasons. First, the top people in most DO schools are people that were either accepted to MD schools and chose DO over MD, and because even MD students who choose derm have to be top of the top tops.
verbal reasoning check. does this sentence make sense to anyone besides the op? "either...and" ???

housecleaning said:
verbal reasoning check. does this sentence make sense to anyone besides the op? "either...and" ???
Yes it makes perfect sense... it says that the top DO students were probably accepted to MD programs as well and chose to go the DO route ... the second part further explains that even as an MD pursuing derm you have to be top...

i have a close family member who is a DO Mohs surgeon and is doing quite well. Don't sweat it - if you want it badly enough, it will happen.

PACtoDOC said:
First, the top people in most DO schools are people that were either accepted to MD schools and chose DO over MD, and because even MD students who choose derm have to be top of the top tops.

Actually, it doesn't make sense. Either that "and chose" should be an "or chose" OR it should have an "or" after MD and another thought. It's "either...or" not "either...and."

Just making an observation. Not trying to be the grammar police, since I myself am no walking Grammer check.

Dude, in my post I said that I wasn't being the grammar police. Learn to read. And spell.

i'm a DO and i matched into a MD derm this year. also, you don't have to do a fellowship in mohs to do mohs. you have to have done so many cases during your training from what i understand. i was at a derm conference in tucson last year and the vast majority of those doing mohs these days did NOT complete a mohs fellowship. i think that it was only like 13 or 18%??!! someone correct me if i am wrong.

Because like 47 people had discussed it and I am a follower, not a leader. I crumble to the will of peer pressure and had the desire to be with the "cool" crowd. Forgive my weakness and I will be your humble servant.

PACtoDOC said:
If you were not being the grammar police, then why did you spend an entire post discussing it? Your little disclaimer at the end was not convincing.
I think em spent the entire post discussing it to point out how wrong you were, *******.