DO's and radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be attending a DO medical school and I am interested in radiology. Is it feasible to match into radiology coming from a DO program? There are not that many AOA sponsored radiology programs (mostly in MI), so I was wondering if I would have decent odds of getting into an MD residency program. How competitive is radiology? Thanks for replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure about the odds, but I will be attending DO school next year as well. Like you, I am interested in radiology as a possibility in the future. Do you (or anyone) know how long the residency program is for radiology and what is the job market like for them?????

I graduated from a D.O. school in 1999 and am currently doing my radiology residency at an allopathic program on the East Coast. A classmate of mine is in one on the west coast. So, it is possible to get an allopathic residency in rads, however, the competition for spots is increasing. I would encourage you to do an AMA approved intership if possible to enhance your chances of getting an allopathic residency spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two of our (DMU) recent grads just got radiology residencies at Henry Ford in Detroit. They said that just going there to do a month of radiology really secured their positions.

Henry Ford has been taking D.O.'s since the 60's. I did two rotations in radiology in my fourth year, one at Syracuse and one at Maimonides in Brooklyn. During the rotation at Maimonides the head of the residency interviewed me and I started there right after my internship.

PennState Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA has accepted at least two D.O.'s.

Reactions: 1 user
The DO that wrote me my letter of rec did his radiology residency in Detroit at Harper Hospital. He loves it, and I'm sure it's not as tough as one thinks.

I'm glad you mentioned that rotating @ Henry Ford secured a residency. Many students are freaking out that they have to set up their own clinicals. I happened to have wanted that for the very reason you state.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]