DO's and residency's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebeyonder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am curious, how difficult is it for a DO to obtain a residency in a MD program?
Is it very difficult for a DO to follow basically the same track as an MD or are there numerous hoops and paperwork that must be followed in order to gain a residency in emergency medicine for example?
Thanks,
Tim.
Also are there certain osteopathic schools where it is much easier to obtain a residency of choice? Do DO schools help students with the match process? Is it very hard for a DO student to match with the residency of their choice in a location of their choice or does a DO have to settle for whatever residency in the middle of nowhere?
Thanks again,
Tim.

Members don't see this ad.

you might want to post this in the resident forum as well because the residents would be better qualified to answer your questions.

You might also find similar topics already in that forum .

From what I've heard, it isn't that hard to get an allopathic residency. In fact, there are several DOs who do allopathic residencies all the time. The residents can tell you specifically which type of residencies are harder. In general, I think the more competitive the residency such as orthopedics, the harder it is for a DO as well the MDs...if that makes sense to you.

let me just add my two cents here.
from my conversation with a derm fellow at UC san francisco (yes he is a DO), the walls are definitely coming down bet. DO and MD.

i'm not sure if there's any stats which shows the number of DOs doing MD residency, but the trend is that MORE DOs are going for MD residency and MORE DOs are specialized in subspecialty than before. I'm not sure if this is good news for AOA. but if you look at this from different perspectives, DOs are creating a greater recogniztion in MD programs. This is a positive outlook for the future new DOs who are interested in MD residency programs. but if you're mainly interested in fam pra or rural medicine, DO residency definitely will prepare you well for those fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting an MD residency might have to become a very real necessity to lots of us soon considering there are only a certain number of DO residencies right now, and with the recent boom in DO schools and graduates, there aren't enough spots for everyone. That's not considering the fact that two more DO schools are supposedly opening soon in Utah and Virginia.

Dannugget,

I see that you're from Woodbridge, VA. Do you know or know of Mike Matthews? He pitches for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. I just thought I'd ask because I noticed that you are from the same town as him and was curious if you knew him or knew of him.

Peace

Originally posted by Atlas:
•Dannugget,

I see that you're from Woodbridge, VA. Do you know or know of Mike Matthews? He pitches for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. I just thought I'd ask because I noticed that you are from the same town as him and was curious if you knew him or knew of him.

Peace•

Mike Matthews went to my high school and graduated about 6 years before me. But by the time I got up there, our team stank it up pretty good, although I think his sister kicked some butt as a softball pitcher. But yes, I have heard of him, although it's not a big deal here for some reason.

As far as difficulty.. I think applying to a competitive MD residency program will be equally tough to get into, whether MD or DO.

FYI: TUCOM's recent match list http://209.209.34.25/webdocs/registrar/index.htm
includes several graduates entering programs at Stanford, UCSF, and Harvard.. among other programs (MD and DO) scattered accross the country.

And yes, I do believe that many schools work very specifically with you to obtain the residency in the area and location of your choice.
(... well as as far as I know about TUCOM)

Hope this helps.