DO's and USMLE Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken USMLE Step 1 and will take Step 2 and I'm planning on applying only to ACGME residencies but was wondering if there would be a reason to take Step 3 as well. With the uncertainty of things, at this time, would it be helpful to take Step 3 if you're interested in applying for ACGME fellowships following an ACGME residency? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken USMLE Step 1 and will take Step 2 and I'm planning on applying only to ACGME residencies but was wondering if there would be a reason to take Step 3 as well. With the uncertainty of things, at this time, would it be helpful to take Step 3 if you're interested in applying for ACGME fellowships following an ACGME residency? Thanks!

No point in taking it, youd have to take the usmle step 2 PE or CS or whatever it is also just to qualify for taking usmle step 3. Plus I dont think fellowships care too much about step 3. So I would not waste the time/money.

I seen a few fellowships require Step 3, emphasis on a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
No point in taking it, youd have to take the usmle step 2 PE or CS or whatever it is also just to qualify for taking usmle step 3. Plus I dont think fellowships care too much about step 3. So I would not waste the time/money.

someone please correct me if i am wrong, but with the way the ACGME verbiage is currently set:

1) if you do an AOA-sponsored residency and want to be considered eligible for an ACGME-sponsored fellowship, you need to be
- "an exceptional candidate" whatever the eff that means
- need to have taken all parts of the USMLE (1 through 3)

2) if you do an ACGME-sponsored residency, then you are eligible for all ACGME-sponsored fellowships.

take my words with a grain of salt. This was the information presented to me in a presentation that I downloaded and watched at x2 speed. I mentioned case #1 b/c say you end up in an AOA residency and at some point in the future want to do an ACGME-sponsored fellowship: (my understanding is) you need to have completed USMLE 1-3

someone please correct me if i am wrong, but with the way the ACGME verbiage is currently set:

1) if you do an AOA-sponsored residency and want to be considered eligible for an ACGME-sponsored fellowship, you need to be
- "an exceptional candidate" whatever the eff that means
- need to have taken all parts of the USMLE (1 through 3)

2) if you do an ACGME-sponsored residency, then you are eligible for all ACGME-sponsored fellowships.

take my words with a grain of salt. This was the information presented to me in a presentation that I downloaded and watched at x2 speed. I mentioned case #1 b/c say you end up in an AOA residency and at some point in the future want to do an ACGME-sponsored fellowship: (my understanding is) you need to have completed USMLE 1-3

Who knows what "exceptional candidate" means...

OP is applying only ACGME for residency, so they shouldn't have to worry about it.

Who knows what "exceptional candidate" means...

OP is applying only ACGME for residency, so they shouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm thinking that's reserved for attending physicians in other countries who are rock stars in their fields back home, with excellent CVs, PhDs, published research, etc. who want to come to the US to do a fellowship. Not newly-minted DO attendings.

There are very few DOs who actually take USMLE Step 3, compared to the number of DOs in ACGME fellowship programs.

I am a DO graduated from an allo IM residency. I took USMLE step III. I believe it helps you and may get you through certain filters. I had some very competitive interview offers, more so than comparative DOs I know who also applied (but not totally equivalent stats either).

Whats another 2-3 thousand?

I am a DO graduated from an allo IM residency. I took USMLE step III. I believe it helps you and may get you through certain filters. I had some very competitive interview offers, more so than comparative DOs I know who also applied (but not totally equivalent stats either).

Whats another 2-3 thousand?

Don't you take USMLE Step III during your first year of residency? What is the rationale behind that, if you take it after you're already in residency?