DO's, can you direct me to the stats for DO's getting into Surgical residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toooldforthis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im a non-traditional pre-med looking at surgery, and only surgery. Orthopaedic/General Surgery preferred. Im seeing everywhere that MD's seem to have the edge in Surgical residencies...is it because the numbers of DO's are lower? or do DO's have a handicap when it comes to acceptances?

Any help will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can reach either residency as a DO. Is it harder? Possibly (for ortho), but it's really a reflection of the effort that YOU put into your training, as well as how well you do on Step 1 or the DO equivalent.

Lots of people start medical school (MD) hoping to be an orthopedic/ENT/Plastics/Optho/Derm/etc, only to find out that they are not as motivated or smart as they thought they were. Pick a place that makes you happy, try your hardest in school, and see where you end up.

Don't think these stats really exist. Your best best is probably looking through matchlists (just search for them on this board) and checking out what's available/programs through http://opportunities.osteopathic.org. You're going to be much better off shooting for an AOA (DO only) residency coming from the DO side of the coin. It's my understanding that surgery is one of the remaining areas in the ACGME world that really has a strong 'good ole' boy' mentality and isn't receptive (much at all) to DOs.

** keep in mind that I'm not trying to pull one of those 'DOs can match anywhere in ACGME' statements by not including how hard it can be to get something like ACGME derm as a DO (though I also won't comment on how hard it is to get as an MD either), but just generally seems like surgical and especially surgical subs in the ACGME world are a pretty rough combo of PDs that aren't too open to DOs and highly competitive regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to be much better off shooting for an AOA (DO only) residency coming from the DO side of the coin.

"Better off" only in the sense of likelihood of matching.

As far as program quality goes, even the "best" AOA surgical programs (of which there are a handful) are at best equivalent to mid-tier ACGME programs.

If the OP seriously wants Surgery, the best option is to go to an MD program.

"Better off" only in the sense of likelihood of matching.

As far as program quality goes, even the "best" AOA surgical programs (of which there are a handful) are at best equivalent to mid-tier ACGME programs.

If the OP seriously wants Surgery, the best option is to go to an MD program.

... sigh ...

What I meant was: if he/she wants surgery coming from the DO world ... AOA programs are a much better bet. I wasn't making any comments on the quality of evil AOA programs, how they compare to the all powerful MD programs, which degree path is better for specialization in general et cetera.

We need something else to talk about. Lol.

Sorry for the dead horse beating!!!!

just trying to clarify...really i dont want to be anything BUT a surgeon, so maybe MD is the way to go for ease of acceptance into a program.

just trying to clarify...really i dont want to be anything BUT a surgeon, so maybe MD is the way to go for ease of acceptance into a program.

If you don't want to be anything BUT an ACGME-trained surgeon then yes, you should absolutely go to an allopathic school for ease of acceptance.

If you don't want to be anything BUT a surgeon, regardless of ACGME or OGME training, then that's a much more complicated issue than "dude lol u need 2 go md to match surg!!!11"

If you've got a 3.3 and a 27 with a waitlist at your state school then, statistically, your changes of ACGME surgery are looking bleak. Of course, this could change, but if the past is any indication of the future then you may want to look into the osteopathic side a bit stronger if you just want to be a surgeon. But if you had a 3.6 with a 32 I suspect you wouldn't be here posting this.

*pre med. Just starting- looking ahead a few years.

The best ortho surgeon at my local bone and joint clinic is a DO. He is also a very, very normal guy. In other words: if you build it, it will come. Or something like that...

I second what Wanna and Jag wrote, but would add that your options for surgery residency will be greatly expanded going MD. I'm not saying you can't get a good DO gen surg / subspecialty residency, it's just that there are SIGNIGICANTLY less of them.

If you go DO, you're basically limited to a community based program, be it large or small, and they are less in number than allopathic programs. All the academic programs are MD, and though they occasionally take DOs, it's not the norm, the caveat being AllStars in the top of board scores/class rank.

But even some community hospitals--if there's competition & old-school MDs--won't take a DO. Example: DMU grads wanting to stay local and do gen surg take up spots at Mercy, which has an AOA gen surg residency, which only takes DOs by fiat. Local U of I grads take up spots at Methodist--competing hospital down the street--which only takes MDs, whether by preference or animosity. A DO has never gotten in there, but to be perfectly honest, why should they when there's a DO-exclusive residency just down the street?

If you've got a 3.3 and a 27 with a waitlist at your state school then, statistically, your changes of ACGME surgery are looking bleak. Of course, this could change, but if the past is any indication of the future then you may want to look into the osteopathic side a bit stronger if you just want to be a surgeon. But if you had a 3.6 with a 32 I suspect you wouldn't be here posting this.

What in the hell does that have to do with anything? I had a 3.1/30 in undergrad, and I have a 3.91 in medical school, and I'm our top quintile. nvm, I guess that only 4.0/40's ever end up in a surgery residency.. lol.

Last edited:
What in the hell does that have to do with anything? I had a 3.1/30 in undergrad, and I have a 3.91 in medical school, and I'm our top quintile. nvm, I guess that only 4.0/40's ever end up in a surgery residency.. lol.

I'd re-read what I posted as the statement directly after the one you're responding to stated that there are exceptions. Many a medical student have changed from a mediocre or below-par undergraduate performance (relatively) to being stellar, top-of-the-class students. There is no doubt that this (as well as the opposite) has, does, and will continue to happen. The question is how often this happens. 5% of the time? 10% of the time? 30%? 50%? 75%? I think this is precisely why I said:
...if the past is any indication of the future...

The past doesn't have to be an indication of the future and isn't set in stone or a hard and fast rule. I'm not implying that. What I am challenging is that every time this subject comes up there are, invariably, two schools of thought with little room in between. They are, in no particular order:

1. If you want to do something competitive you're better off going MD.
2. "I talked to a guy who was a DO that matched ortho at Hopkins" or "there's this guy that works at the hospital I'm at who did derm at NYU after getting his DO" or "my uncle is a DO and he's the chief of neurosurgery at Mayfield General, the largest hospital in 5 counties"... this is always followed by "sure, why not go DO? As long as you work really hard you can do anything. If you want it bad enough you'll match allopathic derm as a DO."

Both of these scenarios have elements of truth, but both are the most simplistic, black-and-white reasoning that, for some odd reason, never gets challenged.

Yes, if somebody wants to do something competitive and only wants to do an allopathic residency then they should absolutely attend an MD school, because despite being able to "work hard" (see scenario 2) it's not making things any easier on them. But if on the other hand someone simply wants to do derm and they know this because of some extensive reason, yet they have the previously mentioned 3.2 with a 27, then they may want to evaluate how well their medical school performance will be a reflection of their undergraduate academic performance. Yeah, by numbers a lot of people have done a 180 in medical school (for better or worse) but by proportion how often is this happening? The other problem that never gets mentioned is that everyone keeps superimposing the notion that residency at a big academic university is the end-all-be-all of medical education and that everyone wants to train at these places, rather than considering that perhaps someone is mroe concerned with what they will be doing rather than where they did it. Now to add a qualifier (which people seem to be ignoring anyway) I understand that many people have different values and reasons why they may feel a university residency provides better training than a community program (and there are multiple reasons and not every community program has the same drawbacks nor does every university residency possess all the pros that get assumed by it being university -- in any case I'm not advocating one above the other). Just because the bias on SDN is for medical education in the stereotypical big city, big academic center with a big hospital, does not necessarily imply that everyone is looking for that or that when someone says they want derm, or ortho, or neurosurgery, or radiology means that they, like everyone else, are desiring to be at "the big allo programs".

I think it's time we found out more about the individual and gave some better, more direct answers than the standard pat "oh yeah, go MD for competitive specialties" or "man, if you go DO and work hard you can do anything."

I'm in a MD program.

My beef was with the notion that you can't get into a surgery residency (which isn't even all that competitive), unless you had stellar undergraduates grades and MCAT score. This is so far from the truth that it isn't even funny. Everyone starts medical school on the same page, and the level of work and dedication that a student puts in will directly correlate with their chances of getting into a competitive residency.

Do the work, and you will get the reward. Simple enough. Problem is that most people are slackers (by AOA terms), and are content with make B's throughout the first two years. When it comes step 1 time, they are already behind the curve (for base knowledge), and are going to have a more difficult time scoring well on that test (when compared to the 4.0 kids).

It's the same correlation that happens with MCAT scores. Most 4.0 students score well on the MCAT. Is it impossible to have a 3.0 and score a 35? No, but it's going to take a lot more work than the 4.0 kid has to do...

PS. I've never heard of an interviewer asking about an applicants undergraduate GPA and MCAT. Can you imagine going to a radiology interview at Duke and getting asked what your MCAT was, when you have a 3.9/250?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a MD program.

My beef was with the notion that you can't get into a surgery residency (which isn't even all that competitive), unless you had stellar undergraduates grades and MCAT score. This is so far from the truth that it isn't even funny. Everyone starts medical school on the same page, and the level of work and dedication that a student puts in will directly correlate with their chances of getting into a competitive residency.

I really don't think you're reading my posts.

Do the work, and you will get the reward. Simple enough. Problem is that most people are slackers (by AOA terms), and are content with make B's throughout the first two years. When it comes step 1 time, they are already behind the curve (for base knowledge), and are going to have a more difficult time scoring well on that test (when compared to the 4.0 kids).

So then since most are slackers, isn't it safer to make the assumption that those who pose questions are more likely to be slackers? The assumption is always made that they're at the top of their game.

PS. I've never heard of an interviewer asking about an applicants undergraduate GPA and MCAT. Can you imagine going to a radiology interview at Duke and getting asked what your MCAT was, when you have a 3.9/250?

I'm not sure how to respond to this since you're coming out of left-field with this statement. I think you may be reading my posts in a way that's causing you to interpret things in a much, much different way than it is actually being said.

Ideally, Ideally-UTHSC san antonio (allopathic) for med school, then same for Residency. Texas has 7 (?) MD school and 1 DO school. for ME wanting to stay in Texas- San Antonio preferably as my wife is military - MD may be the way to go.

AS i am also 37 now and forecasting i will be 42 when i start Med School, assuming i get in the first try, i want the best chance for me to get a residency in a surgical specialty (that isn't urology) Orhtopaedics, Oto, Neuro, Gen Surg pretty much in that order. Closest DO ortho residency is in OK City.

Ideally, Ideally-UTHSC san antonio (allopathic) for med school, then same for Residency. Texas has 7 (?) MD school and 1 DO school. for ME wanting to stay in Texas- San Antonio preferably as my wife is military - MD may be the way to go.

AS i am also 37 now and forecasting i will be 42 when i start Med School, assuming i get in the first try, i want the best chance for me to get a residency in a surgical specialty (that isn't urology) Orhtopaedics, Oto, Neuro, Gen Surg pretty much in that order. Closest DO ortho residency is in OK City.

Not to state the obvious, but that means you won't finish your residency until 53/54 years old, and even more if you do a fellowship in any of those fields. You'd be almost 56 with a Neurosurgery fellowship. Why are you putting off school for so long?

PS. Shouldn't this be in the pre-med forum?

Not to be agist, but the few people I have known who have started med school in their 40s have either gone into or plan to go into something with a 3 or 4 year residency that does not require a fellowship. Why? They're starting very late in the game, and they want to be an attending for as long as they can. Plus you have to remember that the shelf life of a surgeon isn't that long: I know plenty of practicing pathologists, psychiatrists, and dermatologist in their 70s, but I don't any surgeons (in my expereince), who have practice beyond their mid 60's.

That's some serious dedication/drive if you pull this off. Wow!

I'm 24, and I already decided based off my experience in the anatomy lab, standing hunched over a cadaver 3-4 hours a day that there's no way I (or my aching back/neck) would be able to handle a career in surgery, let alone a 5+ year residency/fellowship in it. I can't even imagine what it'd be like doing that in my late 40's/early 50's.

Prepare yourself for some ageism every step of the way.

DrBowtie,

Why do all MD/Phds and DO/Phds wear bowties?

Do I need a Phd to pull it off?

Not to state the obvious, but that means you won't finish your residency until 53/54 years old, and even more if you do a fellowship in any of those fields. You'd be almost 56 with a Neurosurgery fellowship. Why are you putting off school for so long?

PS. Shouldn't this be in the pre-med forum?

Long story.
It started as as "DO chances for surgical residency" thread.

"Prepare yourself for some ageism every step of the way."
Yep, but if you look at a lot of the non-trad applicants they can do pretty well.

Im looking @ 51 when i grad residency. and after 5 years of actual surgical practice being a General Surgeon for 10 years gives me 15 years of OR exp. Yes 5 will be as a resident, but hey Surgery is surgery! and i love it...that and the commitment to lifelong learning is a big part of what medicine means to me. i have over 500 surgeries as a Head/Neck OMFS Surgical Tech, and i miss the OR.

Ideally after 10 years in practice i would shift to teaching all the new young aspiring surgeons out there. Put into practice what i learned and shape future medicine in this country.

We will see!

Last edited:
So skimmed the thread and it looks like you got some solid advice from people contrasting the viewpoints.

I just want to add a couple things...

1- Grades prior to med school don't have $hit to do with the type of physician you become. I find it hilarious to watch people debate the intricacies of med school or residency application process on here. It's a crab shoot and as you are a non-traditional applicant you have no doubt received the life experience to learn that other people are sometimes not the best source of information.

2- Take what you read on these boards with a grain of salt. Many of the regulars on here have the "type A" personality that yes earns them AOA (similar to deans list for college). However that "type A" anal retentive personality is EXACTLY the kind that would get passed up for Ortho. The specialty is known for having laid back guys in it. Like I said it's a lottery and you just gotta get your ticket in the pot to have a chance of being chosen.

..... stepping off soapbox now..... please continue arguing frivolous details ;)

However that "type A" anal retentive personality is EXACTLY the kind that would get passed up for Ortho. The specialty is known for having laid back guys in it. Like I said it's a lottery and you just gotta get your ticket in the pot to have a chance of being chosen.

..... stepping off soapbox now..... please continue arguing frivolous details ;)

~30% of the 2009 US ortho matches were AOA. Average board score was a 238. I think there are a lot of "type A" ortho matches.

ENT ~36% AOA with a 242 avg
Plastic Surgery ~40% AOA with a 245

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

~30% of the 2009 US ortho matches were AOA. Average board score was a 238. I think there are a lot of "type A" ortho matches.

ENT ~36% AOA with a 242 avg
Plastic Surgery ~40% AOA with a 245

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

Absolutely true in the allopathic world. But the osteopathic world is a different ball game. Though it is rapidly going to progress to be more numbers oriented as the new waive of increased class sizes hits the residency stage of their education.

Absolutely true in the allopathic world. But the osteopathic world is a different ball game. Though it is rapidly going to progress to be more numbers oriented as the new waive of increased class sizes hits the residency stage of their education.

So it's "easy" (grade wise) to match into an ortho residency in the DO match?

What I think is interesting is how pre-med students have no perspective of what it means to have a 3.9/240. That's an unbelievable accomplishment.

What I think is interesting is how pre-med students have no perspective of what it means to have a 3.9/240. That's an unbelievable accomplishment.

Which is why we find it so perplexing when people act as if going from mediocre undergrad performance to 3.9/240 is the rule rather than the exception and that all one needs to do is "work hard" and they'll land whatever they want. While this to a lesser extent is true, you'll be hard-pressed to find a pre-med that doesn't think they'll put their pedal-to-the-metal and get high grades and board scores.

I believe DOs have a better shot at the OGME programs than MDs :p There are a fair amount of DO ortho residencies but keep in mind they're still super competitive. Good luck with your decisions.

I think AOA needs to get their act together and start putting out detailed statistical analysis of their match every year like ACGME does.

any thoughts as to what the best osteopathic Gsurg residencies are as far as quality and number of cases? thx

any thoughts as to what the best osteopathic Gsurg residencies are as far as quality and number of cases? thx

I have heard good things about Genesys hospital in Mi and PCOM in philly.

You all are crazy for even thinking about surgery, I am on my surgery rotation right now at an allopathic hospital and I am at the limit of my patience. I wake up at 4 am, don't eat, my feet hurt, chief resident is always on my ass, I can't seem to do anything right, I hate being the retractor bitch in the OR. Clinic and floor are not so bad, I atleast learn patient management. Urgh please GOD let me survive these next 2 weeks.... Surgery was at the bottom of my list and after this rotation it will be more towards the very bottom of my list. :laugh:

Since people were talking about specific numbers, I can provide some data which may help you:

In 2009 the surgical match results consisted of:

MD General Surgery Matches: 824
DO General Surgery Matches: 31

This is out of 1065 general surgery slots availbe, the other spots went to FMG's, 5th pathway, etc.

For the other surgical specilaities for DO's:

Ortho: 5
ENT: 0
Neurosurgery: 1
Plastic Surgery: 1
Urology: Not sure, they have a sperate match

So there were a total of 38 DO students who matched MD surgery in 2009. Now what I can't seem to find is how many applied for each speciality. However I believe there is something like 3300 DO grads every year, of which only 38 matched for surgery. Correcting for those not interest in surgery in these stats, you need to be at the top of your game to match.

Number of students matching DO surgery slots, as others have said we dont have stats like the NRMP, however I can assure you 100% are DO :)

Source: 2009 NRMP Match Statistics

Since people were talking about specific numbers, I can provide some data which may help you:

In 2009 the surgical match results consisted of:

MD General Surgery Matches: 824
DO General Surgery Matches: 31

This is out of 1065 general surgery slots availbe, the other spots went to FMG's, 5th pathway, etc.

For the other surgical specilaities for DO's:

Ortho: 5
ENT: 0
Neurosurgery: 1
Plastic Surgery: 1
Urology: Not sure, they have a sperate match

So there were a total of 38 DO students who matched MD surgery in 2009. Now what I can't seem to find is how many applied for each speciality. However I believe there is something like 3300 DO grads every year, of which only 38 matched for surgery. Correcting for those not interest in surgery in these stats, you need to be at the top of your game to match.

Number of students matching DO surgery slots, as others have said we dont have stats like the NRMP, however I can assure you 100% are DO :)

Source: 2009 NRMP Match Statistics

ouch

Lol no it's not fu*(in easy. It's as competitive as it gets and all you pre-meds keep in mind your new competition are the kids who didn't avg 24 on the MCAT ;)

I wrote my post more to indicate how stupid I think it is that everyone associates gpa with what kind of quality physician you become.

you'll be hard-pressed to find a pre-med that doesn't think they'll put their pedal-to-the-metal and get high grades and board scores.

This is what I mean. People who aren't in med school don't understand the amount of effort that is involved. I essentially "breezed" through undergrad by the terms of effort that I put in now. And I'm no where close to the top of my class.

I think AOA needs to get their act together and start putting out detailed statistical analysis of their match every year like ACGME does.

+1

I'm not sure why they don't already do this. How hard is it to hire someone with the sole job of putting together that kind of data? Certainly it's not that difficult to find someone with the skill set to do it. Also it's obviously not going to cost THAT much relative to the benefit it would give current DO students of having a better idea of what future residency positions they might be competitive for.

So AOA people (yeah I mean you student government/school admin people who read this) why doesn't the AOA do this? Or at least why hasn't it been brought up?

Lol no it's not fu*(in easy. It's as competitive as it gets and all you pre-meds keep in mind your new competition are the kids who didn't avg 24 on the MCAT ;)

I wrote my post more to indicate how stupid I think it is that everyone associates gpa with what kind of quality physician you become.

I'm not a pre-med, and I'm competing with all of the MD kids that did well on the MCAT.

I'm not going to address each individual question or statement but some of the stuff said here is ridiculous.

Ok first off-someone mentioned the best DO surgery residency is a middle tier MD residency. This is a stupid statement. First, if you base it off academic hospitals and their reputations sure, hopkns mayo etc are probably better. But that doesnt even mean those hospitals offer good training for residents. Many programs such as cleveland clinic, harvard are great to work at yet dont offer comprehensive training because people either dont start early enough in residency to train -fellows calling shots, or dont get enough operative time. Obviously this is not a generalization. But that even name brands dont mean anything.

So lets look at another key indicator-operative time. Obviously none of the programs compare to HSS or the other top 5-10. But which allo students are going to get in those anyway? Unless you went to a top ten ALLO school you hardly have a shot here. So saying that your residency program is middling compared to Allo is a wash. It adds no weight other than to crush a future doctor's opinion of what do residencies have to offer.

I know the poster of the above comment did not say that middling allo institutions are bad or anything to be ashamed of but nevetheless his comments are extremely misleading.

Finally, and MOST importantly, lets look at operative time. I know nothing about quality of DO residencies but if the best programs offer high operative time (which I hear they do especially for ortho) as compared to the better MD programs then you're fine. Ultimately its how much experience you get, not name, not nada.

Next, someone mentioned something about MCATs and GPAs. I'm going to a DO school yet I have a 37 MCAT-14 P, 11 V, 12 B. As you can guess, my grades sucked. I went through somethings, we all do. Just because you are at DO does not mean by any shot that you are stupid or average. To put things in perspective, my SAT score was 1520, my 8th grade school sponsored IQ score is 135. I'm certainly not dumb. Furthermore, I know kids from my high school who had sub 1200 SATs with no APs going to schools in the top 15 for med school.

Med school is NOT about intelligence. (maybe the MCAT to a certain degree is). But med school is about playing the game right. get a 32+ MCAT, a 3.8GPA+ score from a top 10 public undergrad school or top 30 private and chances are you can get into a top 30 med school if not top 15.

Now quit whining and enjoy life. :love::love::love:

You are incorrect on many points.

First off, you've decided that operative time is the sole determinant of program quality. This simply isn't true. Yes, a program that doesn't let the residents in the operating room probably is not going to turn out skilled surgeons. But that is far from being the only thing that makes a surgical program "good". What good is operative time if the attendings teaching you aren't very skilled? In general, the best surgeons are sought after by the best hospitals, and the residents in those programs benefit from their expertise. Also, higher quality programs tend to be in tertiary centers that get the tough cases. What good is getting lots of time in the OR at the Podunk Osteopathic Clinic if all the really difficult and interesting cases get shipped out to Big University Hospital? While any hospital will have tons of bread and butter procedures, it is seeing and managing the difficult cases that make one an exceptional surgeon (this is true for any medical specialty).

I brought up the issue of osteopathic board certification causing potential headaches for getting operating privileges in the past. The post is here.

So, I stand by my statement about the relative merit of "the best" osteopathic programs compared to ACGME. It is actually a paraphrasing of a quotation from Jeremy Weiss' DOs Eat Their Young - "the apex of osteopathic training is the nadir of allopathic training". For you to imply that the distinction between programs is only name recognition and otherwise irrelevant is disingenous.

I'm not going to address each individual question or statement but some of the stuff said here is ridiculous.

Ok first off-someone mentioned the best DO surgery residency is a middle tier MD residency. This is a stupid statement. First, if you base it off academic hospitals and their reputations sure, hopkns mayo etc are probably better. But that doesnt even mean those hospitals offer good training for residents. Many programs such as cleveland clinic, harvard are great to work at yet dont offer comprehensive training because people either dont start early enough in residency to train -fellows calling shots, or dont get enough operative time. Obviously this is not a generalization. But that even name brands dont mean anything.

So lets look at another key indicator-operative time. Obviously none of the programs compare to HSS or the other top 5-10. But which allo students are going to get in those anyway? Unless you went to a top ten ALLO school you hardly have a shot here. So saying that your residency program is middling compared to Allo is a wash. It adds no weight other than to crush a future doctor's opinion of what do residencies have to offer.

I know the poster of the above comment did not say that middling allo institutions are bad or anything to be ashamed of but nevetheless his comments are extremely misleading.

Finally, and MOST importantly, lets look at operative time. I know nothing about quality of DO residencies but if the best programs offer high operative time (which I hear they do especially for ortho) as compared to the better MD programs then you're fine. Ultimately its how much experience you get, not name, not nada.

Next, someone mentioned something about MCATs and GPAs. I'm going to a DO school yet I have a 37 MCAT-14 P, 11 V, 12 B. As you can guess, my grades sucked. I went through somethings, we all do. Just because you are at DO does not mean by any shot that you are stupid or average. To put things in perspective, my SAT score was 1520, my 8th grade school sponsored IQ score is 135. I'm certainly not dumb. Furthermore, I know kids from my high school who had sub 1200 SATs with no APs going to schools in the top 15 for med school.

Med school is NOT about intelligence. (maybe the MCAT to a certain degree is). But med school is about playing the game right. get a 32+ MCAT, a 3.8GPA+ score from a top 10 public undergrad school or top 30 private and chances are you can get into a top 30 med school if not top 15.

This post is wrong at many many levels. You simply do not have the experience to even know what surgical residency is, let alone what constitutes good or great training at one. While most DO surgical training programs are not bad, majority do not expose trainees to adequate variety to be very well trained general surgeons able to deal with everything. You can spend your entire 5 years in an OR, but if you are spending all that time doing inguinal hernias and choles, then you will graduate as a technician able to do good inguinal hernia repairs and choles, not a general surgeon.

Of course there are very good DO programs out there (Iowa, Michigan, PCOM) that have pretty good and broad training. But, unfortunately, they are the minority.

Remeber, AOA does not care about your education unless you are crouched over a patient, squeezing their skull to make their sacrum spin around a couple of times.

As far as big names not offering comperhensive training, that is horse doo doo. All programs must meet ACGME standards which are very high. While they don't offer training the same way a small community hospital may, they certainly will train you in their way to be extremely competent. Keep in mind, these places are not training surgeons to go to Wankerville for practice, but academic surgeons to take leadership positions at major institutions offering complicated and state of the art care for complex pathology. The training is longer (research fellowships, additional training fellowships, etc) and the road to completion much more difficult.

As far as your 2 paragraphs splaying out your digits, we get it, you are not dumb. Good job. Now drop the chip.

Last edited:
s. Many programs such as cleveland clinic, harvard are great to work at yet dont offer comprehensive training because people either dont start early enough in residency to train -fellows calling shots, or dont get enough operative time.

Lol. Cleveland clinic.. lol...

I stopped reading your post when i got to there.

I've bolded your comments, my responses are underneath
wannabe-
First off, you've decided that operative time is the sole determinant of program quality.

No, you're wrong, I never said that it was the sole determinant. You did. I said its ONE of the key indicators. reread.

In general, the best surgeons are sought after by the best hospitals, and the residents in those programs benefit from their expertise.

I agree with this statement. Also, the best program happens to be HSS. I dont know a single med student from a mid tier allo school (25+) going to the HSS for orthopedics. Does that mean all other students and their training are worthless? Does that mean they don't have adequate preparation to be surgeons? because last I checked HSS makes a handful of orthopedic surgeons a year. Most patients are just fine seeing other doctors. Your statement smacks against how most physicians are prepared-not at the rockstar programs.

So really, you cant compare DO training to the top 5 programs because lets face it...most allo students wont even get into those. Unless you went to Harvard, Columbia, etc. your chances of getting into the truly best programs (not based off rankings but common knowledge amongst the expert physicians which programs are the best) is slim at best (read-its possible, but highly unlikely).

In other words, you're best off comparing the DO programs to say the programs that fall after the top 10 in residencies.

Also, higher quality programs tend to be in tertiary centers that get the tough cases. What good is getting lots of time in the OR at the Podunk Osteopathic Clinic if all the really difficult and interesting cases get shipped out to Big University Hospital?

Seriously? what kind of generalized BS statement is that? are you even paying attention to what you write? Here's a residency program for orthopedics (statement directly from their website)-
Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo, Ohio, offers an AOA approved 5-year residency in Orthopedic Surgery, and provides broad exposure to orthopedic surgery cases. Residents receive training at a tertiary center, as well as at several community hospitals

Not all DO programs are at some "podunk" community center.

it is seeing and managing the difficult cases that make one an exceptional
surgeon

Really? how often does someone come across a difficult case and actually operate on? Do you have real figures or do you just throw these words out? What do you define difficult cases as? Is there a direct relationship or correlation between difficult cases and how common they present?

What about fellowships? Specialization in fellowships are often open to many doctors both osteopaths and allopaths through allo programs for orthopedics. I know of several who have trained at Mayo clinic, etc. And usually in these programs fellows get excellent training (while the residency may be questionable because of a lack of operative opportunity).

So, I stand by my statement about the relative merit of "the best" osteopathic programs compared to ACGME.

Again, it depends on which schools you're comparing to in the ACGME. if you're comparing to the best programs you can forget it...even the best allo students from mediocre MD schools wont get into those residencies or will have an extremely slim chance.

goober-

This post is wrong at many many levels. You simply do not have the experience to even know what surgical residency is, let alone what constitutes good or great training at one.

Fine, no disagreement here. So let me ask you an innocuous question: Do you?

While most DO surgical training programs are not bad, majority do not expose trainees to adequate variety to be very well trained general surgeons able to deal with everything. You can spend your entire 5 years in an OR, but if you are spending all that time doing inguinal hernias and choles, then you will graduate as a technician able to do good inguinal hernia repairs and choles, not a general surgeon.

agreed. I never said this isn't the case.

Of course there are very good DO programs out there (Iowa, Michigan, PCOM) that have pretty good and broad training. But, unfortunately, they are the minority.

Exactly. And if you think its a moral hazard for a student to join a lesser ortho program tell me again how its not wrong for a allo student to join a community allo ortho program? I think both should reconsider picking a program that may not offer adequate training. Finally, if there are fields with shortages in them then it is still necssary students receive training even at community centers. If so, perhaps they wont get fancy practices but they still provide a necessary service in rural or urban areas where otherwise physicians wouldnt serve.

As far as big names not offering comperhensive training, that is horse doo doo. All programs must meet ACGME standards which are very high. While they don't offer training the same way a small community hospital may, they certainly will train you in their way to be extremely competent.

I apologize for saying "comprehensive training" it was a poor choice of words. I was referring to the examples I gave-that residents may not get the best training experience they'd expect from a brand name because the cases are given to fellows etc. (this I know to be a fact). I have no doubt their training is excellent.

I've bolded your comments, my responses are underneath
wannabe-
First off, you've decided that operative time is the sole determinant of program quality.

Exactly. And if you think its a moral hazard for a student to join a lesser ortho program tell me again how its not wrong for a allo student to join a community allo ortho program? I think both should reconsider picking a program that may not offer adequate training. Finally, if there are fields with shortages in them then it is still necssary students receive training even at community centers. If so, perhaps they wont get fancy practices but they still provide a necessary service in rural or urban areas where otherwise physicians wouldnt serve.

So there are a few DO programs that are "similar" in nature to a mid-tier MD residency? If that's the case, most of the DO students can't actually match into these (see your HHS comments from earlier about MD students not matching into the 5 best sites) residencies either, so they are going to trickle down to much smaller, community based programs?

The other difference is that there are a TON of good MD residency sites in the country for Ortho (or any other field for that matter). Since MD programs offer more "good" sites, once could extrapolate that there are more MD students getting "well trained" with a wide scope of cases.

So there are a few DO programs that are "similar" in nature to a mid-tier MD residency? If that's the case, most of the DO students can't actually match into these (see your HHS comments from earlier about MD students not matching into the 5 best sites) residencies either, so they are going to trickle down to much smaller, community based programs?

The other difference is that there are a TON of good MD residency sites in the country for Ortho (or any other field for that matter). Since MD programs offer more "good" sites, once could extrapolate that there are more MD students getting "well trained" with a wide scope of cases.

Lol is this really a relevant comment? To begin with There a more allo students so necessarily there are more programs and as a result more better programs. Lol.

Also what does your last statement mean about Cleveland clinic. It's one of the best in orthopedics.

Lol is this really a relevant comment? To begin with There a more allo students so necessarily there are more programs and as a result more better programs. Lol.

Also what does your last statement mean about Cleveland clinic. It's one of the best in orthopedics.

See below!