DOs going into primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jorge921995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that most DOs go into primary care. Is that because they want to or because that's just where DO leads?

Members don't see this ad.

DO's main focus is primary care...their mission at most schools is serving in primary care. It doesn't mean you have to, but most go into primary care.

To answer your question, the answer is both.

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools only offer primary care rotations 3rd yr if im not mistaken.

Yep. Mainly pscyh, peds, ob/gyn, family medicine, etc etc

Reactions: 1 user
You are still required to do rotations in the core specialties that include surgery.

I think what you were trying to say was that many DO programs provide their training through preceptor based mentorship at community hospital/clinics as supposed to resident team based at university medical centers.

OP many DOs self identify an interest in primary care thus a good majority end up practicing primary care.

Reactions: 1 user

Sure, but that's also true at MD schools... 3rd year is generally comprised of core specialties. Number of electives in third year, number of weeks for each rotation etc. all can vary from school to school.

Reactions: 2 users
Another factor is that DO grads tend to be, on average, older than their MD counterparts. The increase in age leads to them being more likely to have a family, and thus, different priorities when selecting a specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
Another factor is that DO grads tend to be, on average, older than their MD counterparts. The increase in age leads to them being more likely to have a family, and thus, different priorities when selecting a specialty.
Maybe, but FM isn't exactly a lifestyle specialty. Or if you choose to make it so, it comes with a pay cut. In my experience with FM docs they would go straight from their office to see inpatients until 7 or 8 PM M-F, and they weren't really raking in $$$

I agree!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe, but FM isn't exactly a lifestyle specialty. Or if you choose to make it so, it comes with a pay cut. In my experience with FM docs they would go straight from their office to see inpatients until 7 or 8 PM M-F, and they weren't really raking in $$$
I can't really comment on the lifestyle-ness of FM but I think it is more lifestyle friendly than a surgical sub-specially. ie. nights, holidays, weekends off, etc. That's all I was getting at.

I can't really comment on the lifestyle-ness of FM but I think it is more lifestyle friendly than a surgical sub-specially. ie. nights, holidays, weekends off, etc. That's all I was getting at.
Oh definitely. Surg is the gulag of lifestyle

Reactions: 1 users