DOs having harder time for finding a match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. MD or DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've done alot of research about osteopathic medicine but in the midst of my quest for complete understanding and prospect of osteopathic medicine, I came across a very discouraging fact that seems to be prevalent over lots of articles and publication. That is, DOs having harder time compared to MDs for residency programs (including specialty and other primary care). Even in Kaplans's guide 2001 editions clearly states that those who prefer persuing research or specialty are strongly discouraged to applying to osteopathic schools because it would be too competitive to find the residency programs. The diverse pool from many MDs, DOs and even foreign MDs, makes it exceedingly difficult to find any residency program. Is it true, for those who actually went through this process recently?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not one to answer your question because I have yet to start med school this August but I have met several D.O. docs who are specialized and had no trouble getting any matches.... I'm sure every story is different.... I say, if you want it badly enough you'll get that match.... You may have to bust your butt, but in my experience I've been bustin' my butt in everything I do.... thus being successful at things....

If you're going for "competitive" matches I'm sure that they will be competitive no matter what degree is after your name, thus the competitiveness.....

Is it harder for D.O.'s to get matches?.... from the docs I have talked to... that's not the case.... Maybe I've been lucky to have met D.O. docs who has had no problem with matching....

Anyone who has more experience regarding this matter, please share your experience!!! Much thanx :cool:

As a fourth year student, it is important to distinguish the Allopathic and Osteopathic matches.
Osteopathic is for DO's only, where as the Allopathic match may include, MD's, DO's, and IMG's. It only makes logical sense, and statistics support this, that the allopathic match is favored toward U.S. MD's. It is extremely difficult for a DO student to obtain a residency position in a competative specialty at a University Program.(ie General surgery at Indiana University). That is just fact.
If you want that spot, you had better rotate through the school, take the USMLE, and kick ass.
Other programs like FP, IM, Peds have so many spots each year, DO's can be found throughout. These are the more traditional places to find DO's entering the allopathic match.
But think about it, as DO students, you are discouraged from entering into the Allopathic match as soon as you enter into the doors at osteopathic medical school. The osteopathic match, because it is only DO's, gives a feeling of confidence...it is less competative. The MD match, sends DO students into almost uncharted regions of allopathic education. It can be a scary thing. The worry of NOT matching may keep many DO's from entering the Allopathic match...and staying with the Osteopathic match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I do not know if I can help. I have been lucky enough to gain acceptance to both allopathic and osteopathic programs. My goal was to be by family so I accepted at CCOm and declined 2 scholls in ohio and I am on the alternate list at GW. DC and Chicago are where I have family. Remeber about 55-60 % of DO's do allopathic residencies. I was asked by an interviewer at AZCOM who was an MD if I prefered MD's or DO's. My answer was neither and that i subscribed to the osteopathic approach and had a commitment to primary care and I looked at the individual not the degree. THere is still the stigma of Do's in some of the hard core Md specialties such as orthapedic surgery or Gen surg at some schools, but there are alot where you will DOs.If you look at CCOM's match list about half went into MD tarining. One guy matched at Rush in surgery. If you kick but it does not matter. The Army surgeon general is a DO and the head of EMS for the olypics in Atlanta was a DO. YOu can find a DO in almost any specialty area. There are 11 DO at the University of Chicago. They all are grads of CCOM, but obviously they must be outstanding to be there. Check out the post on people that declined allopathic fo osteopathic schools. Also if you do military you enter into ACGME training(MD). I would also recommend DO's by Norman Gevitz. At Azcom they placed somebody in Surgery at Triple Army med Center. You have to do well in school and rock on your boards if you want a competitive specialty no matter what your initials. Remember it is the individual and not the degree or institution. --Good Luck!!

As a recent osteopathic GRADUATE who participated in the allopathic match (matched to my first choice neuro program), I can tell you that things are not as bad as ewagner states. Of course there are a few specialties (ortho, ENT, Derm) that are especially difficult to get into, but for the most part, it's not that bad and it's certainly not impossible. Also, keep in mind that entry into a competitive specialty is just that...competitive...difficult for everyone...even MD students. I know many who participated in the allopathic match this year, and the VAST MAJORITY matched to UNIVERSITY programs...and not just primary care specialties. At my school alone, there were several who matched at university programs in surgery, radiology, med/peds, etc. :D

Also, at least at my school, we were NOT discouraged from entering the allopathic match, in fact, we were strongly encouraged and given lots of information and support.

Hope this helps! :D

Fourth year students from my school have been matching at residency programs like Johns Hopkins, Yale, University of Washington, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, USC, the Cleveland Clinic,and several other very competitive programs over the last few years. The sky is the limit. Competitive does not mean competitive as far as D.O.s are concerned--they are competitive for all who apply.

That's RIGHT!...Neurogirl is a *Graduate* now...(time goes by so derned quickly)

{{{{{APPLAUSE}}}}}

Kat :D

PS: I forgot, Neurogirl, did you take only COMLEX or both Exams? - K

Hi Kat,

Thanks! I only took the COMLEX. Of course, neuro is not especially competitive (although it's starting to get more popular) and all the programs I contacted said that those scores alone would suffice. However, since you're planning on going into EM (right?), you'll probably need to take both. Unfortunately, this year EM had a fill rate of 99%...higher than ortho! Who knows though...maybe things will have cooled off by the time you're applying. When the time comes, contact all the programs you're interested in and ask them about their requirement and/or preferences. :D

Your chances of getting into an osteopathic residency (e.g. dermatology, ophtalmology, radiology) are much improved if you are a D.O. Your chances of getting into an ACGME (allopathic) are improving because of limitations being set on International Medical Graduates being placed in U.S. programs. Your performance in med school usually has a lot to do with it too.

Neurogirl,

I am interested in going into neurology also and was wondering if you can share your experience as an neuro residency applicant. I would appreciate it very much if you can shed some light on what makes one a competitve neuro residency applicant (i.e. what kind of COMLEX score does one need for a neuro spot at an allopathic academic center, did you do research?, etc.)

Please email me at [email protected] if you rather respond in private. Thank you very much for your help.

Classic13,

As I've said before, neuro is not especially competitive, so you shouldn't have any problems. I was just an average student with average comlex scores and I only had minimal research experience (during grad school). However, I did have EXCELLANT letters (more than one interviewer commented about them) and clinical grades. Also, to improve my chances, I scheduled elective rotations with my top three choices and made sure I ran circles around my fellow students (not hard to do since most people don't like neuro). Hope this info helps. If you have any other questions just let me know. :D

If you are in NY, you won't have problems getting an allopathic residency. If you look at NYCOM's graduate residency matches you will find that most of the matches are into allopathic residency programs and DOs match into all kinds of specialties like Pediatrics, psychiatry, OB/GYN, Internal medicine, family practice..almost anything I can think of EXCEPT the really competitive ones like Gen. Surgery, Derm. etc. DOs have the options of applying to allopathic programs AND to osteopathic programs. Our residency options are not limited in any way (unless you want to go into Gen surgery etc).
I am surprised how Kaplan could publish such a thing as that in their books....If you really want true information about any residency program , just call up the medical school and ask for a list of their residency matches of the previous year. DOs have a lot of options...don't worry...if you want to be a DO apply to a DO school.
Good Luck.