DO's in humanitarian work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got into my top choice DO school.... im as happy as it gets :D

the biggest reason i joined the medical profession was to help people in underserved areas not only in the US but all around the world... which means joining a group like Doctors without borders could be a venture of mine...

Doing relief work has always been a dream of mine...but i've heard some things about the D.O. degree not being internationally recognized and thus preventing D.O.'s in doing international relief work....
please tell me this isnt true.... if it is then im really going to start doing some heavy thinking...
while i Love the DO approach, if it prevents me from doing what I really want to do... then im feeling a little double minded
Does anyone have any information regarding DO's and their involvement in relief work. Please, dont tell me what you think... tell me wat u know

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, if you go to another country within a group like Doctors Without Borders, it is fine to practice as a DO - no restrictions. But if you go by yourself and set up shop, it may not work too well for you. That's how others have explained it to me.

UHS has a rotation in DOCARE i think. DOCARE goes to south american countries and runs clinics. At my interview at AZCOM I was told that one of the prof. there also organizes DOCARE trips. I think that MSUCOM also has ties to DOCARE. I don't know what your dream school is, but check with them.

I am pretty sure that andrea is correct in that an osteopathic physician can only practice (as a physician)outside of the united states under the auspices of a recognized agency.

Good luck.