How do away rotations work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parasiteeater13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, recent OMS-1 here,

Currently attending a DO school that is OOS and I want to practice in the Midwest in the future. Just wanted to ask: how do away rotations work and do I have to do them for my home state in IL?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally in DO schools you schedule 4th year yourself via VSLO or simply by calling or emailing the places you would like to rotate with. Your school may allow you to do some or all of your 4th year at your 3rd year clinical site.

Whether or not you “have to” or “want to” is specialty and individual dependent. Same for matching in a specific location. If you want to to FM or IM in Illinois, pass all your licensing exams on the first try and it shouldn’t be an issue. If you are looking at more competitive specialties it gets harder to be focused on a single region since you will likely have to apply to a large number of programs.

Try not to worry about it too much right now and focus on getting through year 1! Best of luck

Generally in DO schools you schedule 4th year yourself via VSLO or simply by calling or emailing the places you would like to rotate with. Your school may allow you to do some or all of your 4th year at your 3rd year clinical site.

Whether or not you “have to” or “want to” is specialty and individual dependent. Same for matching in a specific location. If you want to to FM or IM in Illinois, pass all your licensing exams on the first try and it shouldn’t be an issue. If you are looking at more competitive specialties it gets harder to be focused on a single region since you will likely have to apply to a large number of programs.

Try not to worry about it too much right now and focus on getting through year 1! Best of luck
Cool, thanks for the answer. Just wanted to ask, what are the different types of surgical selectives in terms of rotation? This is out of my own curiosity.

Cool, thanks for the answer. Just wanted to ask, what are the different types of surgical selectives in terms of rotation? This is out of my own curiosity.
Pretty much any surgical specialty that exists you could do a rotation in…Uber specific specialties like sex reassignment or, idk, face transplants might be pretty hard to obtain. it will all come down to applying early on vslo, networking, and luck.