Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DOs in Oncology?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by KrisE24, May 14, 2008.

1. KrisE24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi -

I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight as to what sort of opportunities DOs have in oncology. Would they have to apply to allopathic residencies? Does that mean taking the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX? Any input would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Frank l

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For osteopathic residency programs go here:
    http://opportunities.osteopathic.org
    and search for oncology
    There are at least 3 programs, I don't know how many slots.

For allopathic residencies go here:
    http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html
    and search for oncology.
    Click on the individual programs and it will tell you if COMLEX is accepted.
    Though your best bet might be to take the USMLE anyway.

3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, my understanding is that Onc is a subspecialty of IM, so you'd have to first attain an IM residency. To your preference, you can do an osteopathic or an allopathic IM residency. Then after that, you'd have to do a fellowship in Onc. I'm not sure what exists in terms of opportunities for osteopathic Onc fellowships, but my guess is that they exist. If you want to match into an allopathic Onc fellowship, I'm sure you could. It doesn't strike me as a particularly competitive field. If you want to go allopathic for your residency, it wouldn't hurt to take the USMLE Step 1, in addition to the COMLEX, to broaden your options. While allopathic residencies are supposed to take the COMLEX, it is much better to also take the USMLE so that they can better compare you to the predominate pool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    generally speaking, hem/onc is not a very competitive IM fellowship.

5. scdocusc

2+ Year Member

really? I always was under the impression that it was a competitive field. Thats interesting. If someone has any more info on fellowships for this that would be great.

6. schussboarder

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    from what i've heard from the residents in the hospital i work at....oncology is up there, but the top three fellowships in IM over these past years have been: cardiology, gastroenterology, and allergy....not sure of the order of these 3 though

7. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't have more info, but it isn't as popular. It is kind of a romantic speciality from the outside. "Oh. I help people with cancer!". The problem is that many people are just so emotionally drained really fast with oncology.

With the regards to the OP. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. There are just a FEW steps before you start worrying about it. Osteopathic won't hamper you from getting any subspecialty after IM. Your residency determines it more than the letters.

8. Ki45toryu

Ki45toryu In this corner...
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There aren't many Onco res'...but 2 things should be noted.

1)There are a ton of AOA and ACGME unfilled IM slots every year...with many of the ACGME taking the COMLEX happily...so it isn't too much of an issue getting into IM first.

2)I was under the impression that if you did a bang up job in res, then it you should be competitive to get into an ACGME or AOA Onco fellowship. I am sure you have to do some extensive research while in school/IM residency to be considered. Someone correct me if I am way off base...its finals week and I am working on no sleep, and may have an electrolyte imbalance.

9. JMarie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I work for a renown osteopathic oncologist and he's done some pretty amazing work in his field. He's the director of the clinical trials program at Yale and he's really inspired me. I'm definitely pursuing oncology as an osteopathic physician and I really have few worries...

10. KrisE24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful insight! The links some of you provided pointed me in the right direction, and it's VERY encouraging to hear about DO oncs excelling in their field (thanks, JMarie!). Thanks again! :)

11. MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From what I understand (mind you I'm only a premed so take it with a grain of salt). Hem/Onc tends to be pretty middle of the road as far as Fellows are concerned for IM. Not as tough as Gi/Card but not as easy to get into as endo.

Check out this great link from the mentor forum http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=404764
    about IM and the fellowships involved. Alot of IM questions can be answered or even asked in this thread, though the knowledge of DO specific questions usually aren't able to be answered very well.

12. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    oncology is probably one of the only specialties i could never ever see myself going into. like you said, it seems emotionally draining. i dont think id' be able to handle it day in and day out for the rest of my life.

13. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well, not as competitive as card, g/i, and allergy as someone else mentioned.

it's not quite a simple as that. there are two types of IM programs: categorical and primary care. categorical tends to focus more on getting residents into fellowships while primary care residents are more focused on training general internists/hospitalists. not to say that primary care residents don't go on to subspecialize, but the type of IM program you are coming from seems to make a difference in getting into a competitive residency. i'd be pretty surprised if a cardio fellow was trained in a primary care residency program especially if it was at a community-based hospital.

14. Kateb4

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    IT IS! I worked in Oncology (in-patient and at the cancer care center) for almost three years and would not go back. It was soo draining to see patients daily, get to know them. See them have positive responses, then see them die, and see really young ones die too. It really takes a special person to be able to work in this field, and I will admit that it is not me!

I did see one of our residents that was a DO really do great, and she did end up in ONC somewhere on the east coast.

I must say that if you are interested in ONC, you should have some interest in research. Not that you have to be in the lab, but every one of our docs was involved in some way with clinical trials, and this is only going to increase in the near future.

15. Lamborghini1315

Lamborghini1315 Sleep deprived
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student

Yes that should be the toughest aspect for physicians..esp a field like oncology with so many terminally ill patients one has to be strong minded.

16. ViolinCello

2+ Year Member

Not as many people apply for heme/onc, but it is just as competitive as cards/GI in terms of acceptances. There are very few DO programs sadly enough, so probably better to go allopathic for residency. Your odds are best to do an IM programs where they have heme/onc fellowship. Heme/onc is unique: you either love it or hate it.

17. PokerDoc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I love all the info in this post.. unlucky for me my dream specialty is radiation oncology.. thats hard as heck even for an MD to match to