karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
just out of curiousity,

are there any other DO's out there who matched/interviewed for anesthesiology this year? if so, just wondering how you ended up doing.

i know a few kids from my school pre-matched at some mid tier programs, but thats just in the chicago land area....wondering what the situation is like elsewhere, as we usually have to perform a bit better to be competitive....input? comments?

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
just out of curiousity,

are there any other DO's out there who matched/interviewed for anesthesiology this year? if so, just wondering how you ended up doing.

i know a few kids from my school pre-matched at some mid tier programs, but thats just in the chicago land area....wondering what the situation is like elsewhere, as we usually have to perform a bit better to be competitive....input? comments?
I matched, but will be able to give you more info tomorrow (if I'm not still partying...then maybe Friday).

I was doing the couples match so I overapplied (60 programs), got 44 interviews, went on 20. As long as you have good board scores (key)/letters/etc, the bias is just not that extreme against DOs in my opinion.

Would I have received invites at a few of the more top tier programs (Brigham, UCSF, etc) if I was a US MD with my application? Certainly. But I'm not going to worry about that because I know I'll get great training at any of my top 8-10 programs on my ROL.

Feel free to PM if you want any specifics or have any other Qs.

gclax30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
just out of curiousity,

Yeah man, I'm also a D.O. and ended up matching allopathic anesthesia. PM me tomorrow and we can chat a bit more. :thumbup:

SukaNeNauka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Also a DO who matched allopathic anesthesia. I personally do not know of any DOs this year who did not match anesthesia, many matched with just a COMLEX score, some even with no away rotations and no step 2 scores and no USMLE. As long as you are not trying to match into an elite allopathic program (UCSF, Duke, Columbia, Cornell, Mass Gen...), DO thing should not matter all that much. Having said that, having a decent USMLE score will make this process a lot less stressful for any DO (more interviews, greater chance of matching somewhere)

Last edited:

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
seems like as DO's we've really gotta squash the step 1 to be competitive. got mine in about ~ 11-12 weeks coming up. i'm hoping to get past that 230 hump, i know for a fact that DO's at my school who scored in the 220's and lower had trouble - although a few ended up pre matching without a usmle score even. just depends i guess...u guys will definitely be hearing from me after thursday. congrats on your success!

Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys!
I'm a DO and I matched in the allo match and I also matched for an osteopathic prelim. I had great success during the interview process. I got a fair number of really competitive interviews and was very happy to see that I was rarely the only DO applicant there on my interview day. I'm not sure yet how my classmates have done. Here's hoping we all get our first choice tomorrow :) Cheers!

Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys!
I'm a DO and I matched in the allo match and I also matched for an osteopathic prelim. I had great success during the interview process. I got a fair number of really competitive interviews and was very happy to see that I was rarely the only DO applicant there on my interview day. I'm not sure yet how my classmates have done. Here's hoping we all get our first choice tomorrow :) Cheers!

TeamZissou

jaferd
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would those of you who went through the match this year mind sharing the names of programs you found to be DO friendly? Especially those who accepted COMLEX only.

Also for those who pre-matched were you given a contract prior to the AOA match or did you choose to forgo the AOA match without knowledge of pre-matching somewhere?

kazuma

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Congratulations to all the DO's that matched this year. I'm a 3rd year DO and I will be applying to Anesthesiology programs this summer, so I'm thankful for all of the helpful advice everyone has contributed to the forum. I have 8 weeks of electives scheduled and 4 pending, so perhaps I will see some of you this fall.

ChEdog

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a DO and matched allo anesthesiology. applied to 40+ and got 12 offers and went on 5 (traveling expenses was an issue). I took USMLE I and scored around the mean. I did well on COMLEX I and II.

I did have one program say they would have like to have seen USMLE II to help objectify the application.

But all in all board scores never even came up in the interviews. hope this helps!

yasha83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DO from the northeast here, I matched into a categorical allopathic anesthesia program. Being from the northeast, I applied, nearly exclusively in the northeast. As such, only a few programs in Boston and New York were really closed off to me to begin with, so being a DO really wasn't an issue for me. I did well on both COMLEX, I did not take STEP 1, but took STEP 2 and did well. Good LOR's, no publications. I applied to 30 programs, Interviewed at 10 and ranked 9. If any DO's out there have any questions by PM, I welcome them.

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
I was doing the couples match so I overapplied (60 programs), got 44 interviews, went on 20. As long as you have good board scores (key)/letters/etc, the bias is just not that extreme against DOs in my opinion.
20 interviews is overkilll and ridicuolus and incredibly expensive.

On the other hand, you matched, don't have to scramble and your future is secure. I think the overkill was worth it.:)

PulseOx

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
I am from a DO school. We had 13 out of 13 people match into allopathic anesthesia. The class above me matched alot of anesthesia as well including Penn and Hopkins

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
20 interviews is overkilll and ridicuolus and incredibly expensive.

On the other hand, you matched, don't have to scramble and your future is secure. I think the overkill was worth it.:)

I think so too. I would hardly advise this to anyone else. Even if you're couples matching, 15 is probably fine. I rationalized the number because I did 3 while on away rotations at the place, 1 in my home city, etc.

Couples match was a very expensive (but fun) process. We were lucky and went on about half of our interviews together due to fortuitous scheduling.

wmc24

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
im a DO and matched. i believe everyone else i know in my class going for gas also matched.

SukaNeNauka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Would those of you who went through the match this year mind sharing the names of programs you found to be DO friendly? Especially those who accepted COMLEX only.

Also for those who pre-matched were you given a contract prior to the AOA match or did you choose to forgo the AOA match without knowledge of pre-matching somewhere?
These were DO friendly programs in my experience:
Cleveland Clinic (program director and a chair are both new, I have a feeling that this program is on the rise academically, not sure what this means to DOs)
Case Western UH (one of the program directors is a DO)
Penn State Hershey (program director is a DO)
UPMC Mercy (but they will be merging with the main campus, so things may change)
Temple (Program director is a DO)
Drexel (Program director and Chair are both DOs)
Rush U (actually all Chicago programs are DO friendly except for Northwestern, and you will have to take USMLE if you want to get University of Chicago)

This was just my experience, I am sure there are more programs that are DO friendly

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student
So forgive me for being nosy, but for the sake of us 3rd years nervous about our chances for anesthesia, do you mind posting your COMLEX/USMLE scores or at least kinda where you scored ( mean, above or below the mean) and how many interviews you got?
I'd love to do anesthesia, but if my med school is representative of the nation, anesthesia is getting much more popular, and I'm worried that they won't take little old me. Not that I'm not going to try anyway! :):):):)

Thanks, and may the med school gods reward you with easy call nights for your contributions to those of us 3rd years! :laugh:

Feb 25, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm a DO and matched allopathic categorical anesthesia this year! All of my classmates going allopathic matched today to their number 1 spots. I did take step I and step II and I was told that this was "the best thing I could have done for comparison sake". Is it absolutely necessary, no it is not. You can certainly match w/o taking both steps but I would recommend taking at least one. I think the best advice is to do an away rotation at the program you would like to go and do a great job! I think this really helped me. I did not experience much bias at all, though, and programs were very receptive to DO's. Don't be intimidated by Anesthesia if your a DO you have an excellent chance of matching!! If you want "Details" board scores, extracurriculars, etc you can PM me.

PulseOx

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
If you interested in todays match results from UMDNJ School of Osteopathic Medicine here it goes.

1 matched at UPenn, 2 at RWJ-Cooper, 1 at cleveland clinic, 2 at Hopkins, 1 temple, 1 Robert Wood Johnson, 1 at Temple, 2 at Penn state.

not to shabby!

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Where the grass is always greener
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats to you all! Hopefully I'll be in a similar position this time next year! Thanks in advance for all the help as well! :D

incrediblybored

10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats to all of the DOs who matched MD anesthesia this year :)

In my class (MSUCOM), I currently know of 11 people who applied to allopathic anesthesia at all. Three wound up taking DO spots. Of the remaining eight, we matched three at Henry Ford in Detroit, one at the University of Michigan, one at the University of Washington in Seattle, one at Johns Hopkins, and me at the University of Miami. If you're counting, there's one more guy that I'm not sure about since I haven't spoken to him, but I'm 99.9% sure he matched somewhere, as he did a lot of interviews.

For the M3s: Got low-to-mid 90s on USMLE Step 1 and 2 CK, did awful on both COMLEX exams because I'm terrible at OMM. Had two awesome anesthesia letters from an elective rotation at UMich, good ICU letter from elsewhere. Applied to a ton of programs, got 16 interviews, wound up doing 14. Interviewed at university programs almost exclusively...Miami, UMich, Cleveland Clinic, UF-Gainesville, Rush, UIC, UMass, etc. Would sincerely recommend taking at least USMLE Step 1, as a lot of PDs frankly don't know how to use a COMLEX score. Agree with previous list of DO-friendly programs, and would add Henry Ford and Arkansas to the list. I'm not on here super-often, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck,

--IB

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I am a DO and applied exclusively in the northeast with the exception of maimi. I matched in the allo match to a university affiliated categorical program in a big city, it was not my first choice, but I am happy nontheless. I regret not taking step 1 but made up for it with 99 on Step 2. I did well on both comlex with high 90s on both, but I dont think too many PDs cared. I had a lot of success with interviews, even interviewing in big name programs in Boston. There are some programs out there where the PD will never take a DO but they are becoming fewer in recent years. I was offered a prematch by one program but turned it down for personal reasons.

My advice to M3s would be that in addition to having good grades and steps, get good LORs from respectable known people (all the PDs know eachother), make your application unique, play up your unique strengths (no matter how odd), and apply to as many programs as you can, you never know who is gonna bite. Good Luck! :xf:

BobBarker

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I applied regionally, south to midwest. 99 step 1, 99 step 2. Slightly above average Comlex scores, 2nd quartile class rank. Applied to 28 anesthesia programs (all of which had a history of taking DOs), 5 preliminary programs. Received 9 anesthesia interviews (attended 8), and 2 prelim interviews (attended 1). I only took Step 2 because the PD at my number one told me it was "critical" that I took it. It was my first interview so I took it ASAP and that score become available mid november. Interview invites started off fairly strong, with my first invite coming from UAB and the second from my number 1. Things then slowed down and I didn't get interview invites from programs I expected to, like both Kansas programs, some Texas programs, and the Arkansas program. No interview invites after my Step 2 became available but several rejections. In trying to analyze why I didn't get more invitations I can think of a couple of possible things. My LORs where all very good, 1 IM Chair, 1 PP anesthesiologist, and 1 PP FM. All of these were from DOs who had trained at AOA residencies affiliated with my school and only one was from an academic attending. Perhaps that plus no USMLE Step 2 available in September played some factor. Interestingly enough, I matched at my number one choice (who said USMLE Step 2 was required) along with one of my classmates. He didn't have either USMLE Step 1 or 2, so who knows with that. I did 3 away rotations, 1 at UTSW and 2 at my #1. 1 mos I did just general stuff, and the second mostly OB and Pedes. My advice is leave nothing on the table. Go on at least 8 interviews, if it looks like you aren't going to get that many, CALL programs and ask them to "Check on the status of my application." Take both Step 1 and Step 2, and have your Step 2 available in September. Go on away rotations. They get your face known, and give you a much better idea of what type of programs you really like.

Green912

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
My advice is leave nothing on the table. Take both Step 1 and Step 2, and have your Step 2 available in September.
Essential advice. You are competing with many others for these spots. This is not the time to 1. save a few bucks 2. avoid another exam 3. think others should be satisfied with your COMLEX score.

yasha83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I couldn't agree more with Bobbarker and the above advice. Do everything in your power to allow your application to be compared "apples to apples" with the standard US allopathic candidate.

I interviewed at 9 places and think people should aim for around 8-10 interviews at least. I matched at the top of my list in a prestigious university setting, but in retrospect I wouldn't recommend what I did for 2 specific reasons:

1) Due to personal reasons, my ERAS wasn't in until mid-September, which already took me out of the running for interviews at some places that fill early. I can't stress this enough, aim to have your app submitted on September 1st!

2) I also didn't have my STEP 2 available until late september/early october. Once I did the doors at a few other places opened pretty quickly

Last edited:

justin5790

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Will i need my letters submitted by sept. 1st as well? Or do they offer interviews without them?

yasha83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Technically, your ERAS can be sent off without LORs. Even though an application is only a shell of itself without board scores, the LORs are important to have early as well. IMO its paramount to have your application submitted both as early and as complete as possible. Hopefully that means auditioning early enough to have a great recommendation in the bag come Sept. 1