Dosimetry questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rad Life 7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently enrolled in a radiologic science program (2 year to become a radiographer) and I am interested in learning more about dosimetry. This is technically a second career path for me and I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration (MIS). I am currently overlooking programs and I see many programs from certificate to masters programs. What is the difference between a certificate and a bachelor/masters? I know in radiology, for radiographers, there is technically no difference, unless you plan on going the route of management. I am very interested in becoming a dosimetrist, but I would rather take the route that will better prepare me to attain a career after the program. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dosimetry is a fantastic career. Our dosimetrists make high five to low six figures, work essentially 9 - 4, and many do not have bachelor's degrees. I have not been involved in any hiring, so I don't know if job market is competitive enough for certificate vs bachelors/masters to make a difference. I would just research job postings, and see what they require.

Many dosimetrists also rise to department administrators as well, so I think you have a lot of options.

Thank you both for the information!

@kimjongillest can you recommend any programs? I am attempting to contact SIU, but they aren't very responsive. I keep getting automated messages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question concerning the job outlook for a dosimetrist. Through my research, I am finding that jobs are few and far in between, especially in Texas where I want to stay. I like this career and was recently granted an interview for a Medical Dosimetry Program but I am concerned that I won't find a job after graduation. Can a current dosimetrist please provide me with information on how easy/hard it was for you to find a job?

The job market is tight for dosimetrists and many of the same geographic issues for MDs also apply given the size of the field and limited number of openings at any given time. However, you can stand out by being good at what you do. There is a wide variety in dosimetrist skill, and MDs do not want to lose a dosimetrist whose plans almost never need revision and when they do they don’t complain.

Reactions: 1 user