mrdrdrjp

Ph.D in Bastardology
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Forest City, NC
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I know that lots of you will say this is stupid and its not nothing I'm wanting to do, I'm just curious. Is it possible to be double board certified like House M.D. (yes I know the show is not real)? I've just always been curious because he said that he is double board certified in nephrology and infectious disease. I've searched everywhere and cannot find anything so I thought I'd see if anyone here knew...

OP
mrdrdrjp

mrdrdrjp

Ph.D in Bastardology
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Forest City, NC
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I didn't know if one was allowed to complete two fellowships or if there were any rules attached to it

scattun

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, definitely possible. There are even combined fellowship programs, i.e. hemo/onc and you can attach a Critical Care fellowship/board eligibility to several of the IM fellowship fields with just an additional year of critical care fellowship.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
Agree, it's possible, but it'd be a major hassle at a point in your life where you've just been dealing with back to back large hassles for the past decade.

But you could maybe go back down the line, or, as mentioned hit two complimentary certifications with a combined program.

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Mizzou Med
Status
We have a number of docs that are multi-boarded. For example, the ICU director here has his Pulm/CC and ID boards, and of course maintains his IM certification.

I know a guy who was FM boarded, practiced rural medicine for a while, then went back for IM/GI and now drives scopes for a living. That had to be painful, but he's happy now!

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
We have a number of docs that are multi-boarded. For example, the ICU director here has his Pulm/CC and ID boards, and of course maintains his IM certification.

I know a guy who was FM boarded, practiced rural medicine for a while, then went back for IM/GI and now drives scopes for a living. That had to be painful, but he's happy now!
Yep.... such combos as Pulm/CC are pretty common, really. Definitely happens.