Double Concentration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone completed a double concentration or know how common it is to do so? It seems to me that certain combinations (e.g. maybe epi/policy or epi/environmental science) would be very marketable. Also, I'm wondering if you would have to formally apply to the second division or if you could just use your free electives to complete the requirements for the second concentration. I know each school probably has different requirements, but if anyone has any information about this I'd like to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Columbia has a strict policy against double concentrations. I wanted to double concentrate (even willing to take an extra year to do so) in Epi (so I could get a job) and history/ethics of public health (because I enjoy it). I was told by both the Dir. of Admissions and a prof. that this isn't allowed. I also talked to some current students who said they wanted to double concentrate and weren't allowed. In addition, both the history and epi tracks at Columbia only allow 1 or 2 electives outside their department, so there's hardly room to even take the courses.

I know that Columbia has a strict policy against double concentrations. I wanted to double concentrate (even willing to take an extra year to do so) in Epi (so I could get a job) and history/ethics of public health (because I enjoy it). I was told by both the Dir. of Admissions and a prof. that this isn't allowed. I also talked to some current students who said they wanted to double concentrate and weren't allowed. In addition, both the history and epi tracks at Columbia only allow 1 or 2 electives outside their department, so there's hardly room to even take the courses.

Is that the major reason that you aren't allowed to do it?

I don't know the official reason. The student I spoke with said it's because the school's aim is to get as many students in and out as possible, rather than ensure they have the best education.

As I said, I was willing to take an extra year to do a double, which would be feasible credit-wise given that the MPH core courses and few others would overlap. Still not allowed, though.