Which Concentration for MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperballad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question regarding which concentration I should choose for my PH grad program.

My background: I have a B.A. in Public Health Policy so I am not savvy on math and science, per se. So I can definitely cross out epidemiology and environmental public health. However, I question my ability to successfully pursue a degree in Public Health Policy because of the emphasis on economics and statistics in order to properly analyze policy.

I'm really open to any suggestion on which route I should take because I am planning to take the GRE soon so I can apply to several grad programs.

To help, here are my interests: I am interested in any aspect of public health that is concerned with hospital quality assurance and helping underserved communities acquire proper healthcare. I would really love to help prevent medical malpractice and ensure quality healthcare. Aside from that, being an introvert, I do not really see myself in vastly important positions such as director or senior analyst, etc. Although it seems like the only available jobs are for those type of leader-like positions. I, on the other hand, enjoy working as a team or even alone (if I feel confident). But this all can change depending on how comfortable I am in the job I'm at.

So, do any of you have any idea what type of path I can take given my career interests?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Best regards
xx

Members don't see this ad.

I would say definitely look into health care administration!

Hi! This doesn't quite answer your question haha but do you happen to attend UCI? As far as I know, we're the only school with a major that's specifically called Public Health Policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say definitely look into health care administration!

I'll look into it, thanks Lindsey!

Hi! This doesn't quite answer your question haha but do you happen to attend UCI? As far as I know, we're the only school with a major that's specifically called Public Health Policy.

Haha yeah, I'm an alumnus--zot zot!

University of MN has the PHAP. which is public health administration and policy.

what level of math and stars do you have experience with?

University of MN has the PHAP. which is public health administration and policy.

what level of math and stars do you have experience with?

I got up to Calculus but barely passed. And I took stats and an epidemiology class and barely passed as well. Those classes are the only blemishes on my university transcript.

Try looking up the course requirements before you apply to a program. My school (University of Oklahoma) required MPH majors in all categories (including MPH in Health Administration and Policy) to pass their first-level graduate courses in biostatistics and epidemiology. The MHA degree does not have those requirements. My specialty is in epidemiology, so I'm not as familiar with health administration, but I think an MHA +/- law degree would be good for managing and preventing malpractice in a hospital.