Double major An Advantage???

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
    Hey everyone, i was wondering if double majoring is an advantage for acceptancebecause I am A chemistry major, and im taking so many bio classes that i could easily finish a bio degree as well with an extra year of school.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 20, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      UCDavisdude said:
      Hey everyone, i was wondering if double majoring is an advantage for acceptancebecause I am A chemistry major, and im taking so many bio classes that i could easily finish a bio degree as well with an extra year of school.

It might be an advantage, but a very nominal one. Unless your GPA needs a boost from extra classes, your application will probably be better served if you use the extra year to do some solid research or other health related EC.

About the Ads

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jul 18, 2004
      Boston
      1. Medical Student
        I highly doubt that it would matter. Unless you were applying to a joint program of some sort. Then it actually could play a role. An MD/MBA program would probably favor some who has shown an interest in business in undergrad.

japhy

Ski Bum
        15+ Year Member
        Nov 9, 1999
        Alta, Ut
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          bull****, it totally helps your application. although in your specific case not as much as you would hope. the overwhelming majority of applicants (and acceptances) are bio majors, with chemistry far behind.

the students who seem to get the most bump from a double major are science/non-science types.

and just generally, why don't people bother to search the archives? this questions has been asked, oh i don't know, about 50 million times over the last 2 years. there are plenty of other threads about this.

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
          10+ Year Member
          Aug 15, 2004
          www.mdapplicants.com
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            UCDavisdude said:

Better go ask the advising office. My friend who was a biochem major wanted to double up on Chem. But they said he can't do that since they are "too similar" in nature so the university doesn't want to grant him two BS. BTW, he went to UCD also and I am an alum.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
            10+ Year Member
            May 21, 2004
            1. Attending Physician
              Uegis said:
              Better go ask the advising office. My friend who was a biochem major wanted to double up on Chem. But they said he can't do that since they are "too similar" in nature so the university doesn't want to grant him two BS. BTW, he went to UCD also and I am an alum.

I agree, that would be pretty silly.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
              Moderator Emeritus
              Verified Expert
              15+ Year Member
              Feb 20, 2005
              TX
              1. Attending Physician
                UCDavisdude said:

What I was hearing is a double major isn't really helpful but I think the OP was referring to a double degree - or maybe I'm reading that wrong.

Is that more helpful?

lakersfan

10+ Year Member
                Jun 14, 2004
                los angeles, ca
                1. Medical Student
                  I doublke majored and I don't think it helps at all. I mainted a 3.6 and had a 33 mcat and applied to 25 schools and still haven't got in anywhere so... If I had to do it again, I would just major in bio and put all my effort into that and try to get a 3.8+. If you can do that, you're way better off than double majoring.

drguy22

1K Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jun 4, 2004
                  www.mdapplicants.com
                  1. Attending Physician
                    bbaek said:
                    double majoring in science = pretty pointless

double majoring in science and non-science = better chances of not being pointless

im a double major in biology and psychology....ummm..i dont know if it helped..it may have some, just by the fact that im doin a double major in 3 yrs, a lot of people are surprised.

japhy said:
                    bull****, it totally helps your application. although in your specific case not as much as you would hope. the overwhelming majority of applicants (and acceptances) are bio majors, with chemistry far behind.
                    Relax, chief. If it helped so much, I guarantee that half of SDN would be doing it. But they're not.

beep

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Nov 6, 2003
                      i double degreed in a social science (public policy) and a science (interdisciplinary environmental science) and i think it helped. but i actually have 2 degrees, and they are in very different things, and i was able to write meaningfully about them both.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
                      10+ Year Member
                      May 21, 2004
                      1. Attending Physician
                        What annoys me about this thread is that its topic only concerns the double major in respect to admissions without consideration of personal enrichment. I realize that because of the competitive atmosphere of MD admissions it's difficult to take such an attitude but I think when it comes to minor admissions affecting decisions like what and how many majors you take it's much more important to go with the one that sounds enjoyable. I took an Organic Synthesis class last semester that wasn't required for my major or for Medical School. I took it because my friends were taking it and because I enjoyed synthesis. It was a really fun class and its allowed me to become a much more effective tutor. I'm really grateful that I took the class rather than go with the admissions safe decision of not taking adding extra difficult units to my schedule.

ellia08

Medicine + Math = Awesome
                        10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Oct 17, 2004
                        the lab! yay!
                        1. Medical Student
                          hmmm... some good points.

I doubled in math and molecular bio so, for me, I would have been doing biomath wether it was in the biology dept, in the math dept, or both. Getting certified by both departments was really more of a formality than anything.

I guess that if you like both subjects then double major, if not then dont. Point is that its certainly not a guarenteed or magical in, so you should only do it if you would enjoy doing it. (In which case its really fun :))

DrYo12

Y-bomb
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Jul 22, 2004
                          unfathomably much loved
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            Uegis is right, once again. I went to UCD and from what I have been told, the double major is usually granted to someone getting a BA and BS but for two BS degrees, I don't think they will do it.

I was a BioSci major at UCD and when I considered going back for a second baccalaureate, the only options for me were non-science bachelor's because I already had a BS.

Honestly, I'd say that while having the two degrees certainly won't hurt, I wouldn't say it would help any more than going out and volunteering or getting some 'life experiences' under your belt. I was only a foreign language requirement away from getting my second major in Political Science but the College of Letters and Science kicked me out when I reached the 225 unit limit, so that's another consideration. Because my primary major was nearly complete, they said that the second major was less critical and in the interest of getting my butt out of there, I didn't finish it.

It is possible to have an area of interest outside your major and not get a second degree in it. If you really feel like you need the second degree, get a minor in BioSci.

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.