Double major...and electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therealdeall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
at my school students are allowed to have five elective slots (basically any classes you want to take throughout college) and also liberal learning requirements. If I was to double major in bio and psy.how would this affect the amount of courses I would have to take? And would the elective spots have to be put to use for fulfilling the majors?

Also, if anyone has any experience with this/or double majoring in bio and psy it would be awesome for some insight.

Members don't see this ad.

chem/psych double major... definitely happy with it. No time for electives that don't fit major requirements though.

so does your school bascially allow you to use those spots to fulfill the electives?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, we have major electives and electives required for everyone to graduate.

What I was saying was, outside of those electives, I haven't really had the credit space to add any other miscellaneous credits.

I'm happy with my choice, because I wanted to take all the psych classes I took, and I need the chem degree to apply for teaching jobs.

My advice is only major in something if
-There are no classes in that major you don't want to take that you wouldn't have to take to get to an upper level you want to
or
-You need the major to advance in something (pursuing a career in the field or higher education in the field).

Otherwise, you can just take the classes you're interested in and bail on the others. It would definitely be nice to have had space to take some more random electives.

anyone else have any insight/experiences...it would be appreciated.