DIY post-bacc student w/ B.A.Sc in communication sciences and disorders...to double major or take the bare minimum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neabby21

Reaction score
Hi! I am a senior about to graduate with a bachelors degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I'm currently taking pre-reqs along with my major requirements for med school. I'm going to school for an extra year to take some pre reqs.

In my extra year, I will be taking biochem, cell biology, anatomy, physiology, and genetics. This ends up being 10 or so credits per semester.

However, I am 10 credits away from a double major in Spanish, and 20 credits away from a double major with biology. The Spanish would be a lot easier, and something that makes me more unique in the Midwest. It also would allow me more time to work and volunteer more during my extra year.

However, I'm not sure if I'll want more intensive biology classes than what I have? I was just planning to take enough to get me through the MCAT.

Either way, I feel as though I should double major, since I'm so close and the cost of school doesn't change too much (tuition banding and independent filer).

Any suggestions/input is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you want to do. Don't worry about "how it looks" to others. But...

If it's not that much trouble to get that major in Spanish, go for it. IMO, it's not that Spanish will make you more "unique" among Midwesterners... it's that you will be more desirable by more programs in the long run if you remain in healthcare if you become fluent in Spanish, including those outside the Midwest. The Latinx demographic is increasing very rapidly over the next decade, so having Spanish is going to be valuable.

Reactions: 1 user
Take additional courses only if you think that your grade will be greater than your current GPA (e.g. if your current gpa is 3.65, don't take anything if you expect a grade of less than A-). Don't do the Spanish minor if the focus will be on Spanish literature, essay writing, and culture. That is not going to help you with patient care and can be a time sink.

I should add that I am fluent in Spanish and I have a 3.9ish GPA. A new class opened up for this spring regarding Spanish in Health care that I really want to take. Since this will put me 1/3 of the way to the rest of the credits I need, I think I'm going to go through with the Spanish major!