Double Major or Graduate Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I am a junior at Loyola undergrad. I need some advice with my problem. I am deciding if I should graduate a year early with economic major or stay one more semester and get my second major in philosophy (If i stay i only need one more Phil class so i will be going part-time). My GPA is 3.8+ and Science GPA is also around 3.8. If i decide to graduate early i can get a full time mangement position job at A & F and work for a year while i apply to medical school. I haven't take the MCAT yet and gonna take it this june. Have plenty of volunteer experience and research experience (got published in an abstaract). Lets say if i got a 30+ on my MCAT would it be better for me to have a double major or single major with minor and year of non-clinical job experience? What course of action would improve my chance of acceptance to medical school? Let me know if i should stick around school or graduate and get a job. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,
I am a junior at Loyola undergrad. I need some advice with my problem. I am deciding if I should graduate a year early with economic major or stay one more semester and get my second major in philosophy (If i stay i only need one more Phil class so i will be going part-time). My GPA is 3.8+ and Science GPA is also around 3.8. If i decide to graduate early i can get a full time mangement position job at A & F and work for a year while i apply to medical school. I haven't take the MCAT yet and gonna take it this june. Have plenty of volunteer experience and research experience (got published in an abstaract). Lets say if i got a 30+ on my MCAT would it be better for me to have a double major or single major with minor and year of non-clinical job experience? What course of action would improve my chance of acceptance to medical school? Let me know if i should stick around school or graduate and get a job. Thanks a lot.

Med schools won't care if you have a single major or double major or a minor. Your time will be better used spending it building up your ECs or earning money for school.

Hey folks,
A double major likely won't make a significant difference, but it would certainly help more than hurt. You say it's only one more class? Could you take it and also work? If you've done enough work to be one class away from a second degree, it would almost seem a shame not to do it. You could maybe even tack on a minor to go full time if you don't want to work.

Also, if you make $40,000 this year, it may affect getting a subsidized loan next year. I know this isn't a great argument, but it is a little something if you're looking for one more reason to stay in school vs. working.

I really enjoy school and have little desire to go back to the working world until I'm a doctor. Is A&F the clothing store? That won't help your app either. I think being involved in academia, research, clinical, etc. is a more interesting, useful way to spend your time (money issues aside). You'll have plenty of time to work in the future.

Do whichever sounds more enjoyable or fullfilling.

I really enjoy school and have little desire to go back to the working world until I'm a doctor. Is A&F the clothing store? That won't help your app either. I think being involved in academia, research, clinical, etc. is a more interesting, useful way to spend your time (money issues aside). You'll have plenty of time to work in the future.

Do whichever sounds more enjoyable or fullfilling.

I agree with the above. Earning money is good, but unique opportunities for travel, service in the Third World, or research experience with publications (not abstracts) would look much better on applications. These kinds of stories will more likely convince admission committees to admit you.