1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Double major or Post bac/masters?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by americanpierg, Jun 19, 2008.

1. americanpierg

americanpierg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I need more credits to raise my gpa in case of no acceptances this round. Should I declare a double major, which should give me an extra 30 credits to get 4.0s in, or should I apply to a masters...and have to write a thesis??? I'm looking for the easiest way out...not the way that would look the best on a transcript

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    A M.S. is usually more impressive and will give you more options in the future than a db major.

4. Hysteria24

Hysteria24 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a little confused by this statement. However, the easiest thing to do inorder to raise your GPA is to stay where you are and double major. Choosing something like psychology would be even easier.

And as you requested, neither of these would look as good as an MS on a transcript.

5. americanpierg

americanpierg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    lol...bascially I wanna raise my GPA through an easy method, ie take 30 more credits to get a second major (which in this case would be physiology and biology). This would be easier in contrast to going through a 2 years thesis masters, which would definately look much better, but a lot harder and more expensive.

The problem is if I do a 1 year masters, the grades from that masters program won't even matter becuase of the whole applly one year ahead thing. So the grades they get will actually be only through my 4 years of college (unless I update my grades the following spring...which would be too late anyways), and my performance in my masters program won't even play a role. The only way that I see a 1 year masters would benefit me is if I get rejected a SECOND time, and have to apply a third time...that would be when my performance from my masters program would be weighed into my application.

6. TeamGuo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Why are you already thinking about rejections?

I would be careful choosing an extra major just to raise your gpa, ie. choosing something easy to boost your gpa.

Why don't you take some more upper level bio or other science courses and raise your gpa that way? I think adcoms will like that better than taking additional load of non-science related courses that are considered easier.

but if you really want a better chance, masters would be good. I agree with the above posts.