Double Major vs. Easy Semesters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm a Math major pre med (finishing up sophomore year). I just realized that I can double major in Statistics for only 12 more credit hours. At the rate I'm going, I need to take about 13 credit hours a semester to graduate. However, double majoring would shoot this up to 17. Do any of you have suggestions/opinions? I will be taking the MCAT next year, so that's another factor. But then again, if I don't get into med school, having a double major in Stats would be very useful. Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's useful: Yes

If it's not useful: No

Stats and math as a double major looks like getting two degrees in:

Biology
and
Medical MicroBIOLOGY and Immunology

i would do it only b/c:
a. its four more classes (that's not that that much you have to go out of your way for)
b.i dont know how it works at your school, but at my school, tuition is based on a bracket-type scale, ie. if you take 13 credits or 17 credits, you pay the same tuition...so, you get the most for your buck (lol..:D )
c. i tend to waste time if my semester's not that busy..im used to taking 17+ credits per semester,

i guess it depends on how much coursework you usually take on and if you wouldn't mind taking classes in statistics...

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the opinion that a Math/Stats double major is quite similar (of course, that comes from the unlearned over here).

I talked myself into double-majoring in Econ and Bio the exact same say. I was always a premed econ major, but then I told myself "oh, it's only one more semester... I enjoy the classes anyway...might as well get a biology degree, too"

I kind of regret it. Not only did I end up taking some wildlife and ecology -type classes (which I don't really like) but I don't think it helped me too much with admissions. I really don't have too much more under my belt for having gone ahead and gotten the biology degree, probably because I had to take those stupid wildlife classes. I did, however, get the degree. According to the signalling theory of education, that is worth something. I guess it is impressive to people who don't know how many pre-req's you have to take to get into medical school, though.

I'm obviously undecided on the situation.

Dont do it to impress medical school commitees...they wont care and would probably prefer you put your time into something like research if you are interested in it...or get a minor in some other subject you find interesting such as philosophy or english...that they would like...math and stats are too close for them to care

what about a majors like molecular biology and psychology? although they are different in content, they are both sorta related...at least more so than bio and econ

would you consider these two majors "different?"

what about a majors like molecular biology and psychology? although they are different in content, they are both sorta related...at least more so than bio and econ

I would consider them different and i think med schools would because few courses would overlap...and psych is more of a social science and understanding peoples thought processes which is useful as a physician...completely different than biology

Yeah, I probably would consider them different as well. Not as different as Econ and Bio, but definitely more different than Biology and Medical Microiology. Probably more different than Math and Stats, too.

I would definitely categorize psych as more of a social science than a hard science. In fact, psych is in the "College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences" at my school (along with econ).