Double major?

Biosyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to major in Biology and Computer Engineering. Is this a good idea? My goal is to become a doctor, but I am also really interested in computer programming and hardware hacking. Will I be able to do pre-med and handle the workload? Has anyone else done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend double majoring in Biology and Computer Engineering. Both are very intensive fields and often require many hours of study (or coding, etc.). Is it possible? Sure. Will you be able to do it? I don't think anyone here can tell you what you're capable of, since we know nothing of your work habits, abilities and motivations. But in general most people could not even do one of them, let alone both. My suggestion, based on what you wrote, would be to major in Biology while taking some intro/lower-division programming courses. On the off chance that you cannot survive in Biology or find programming more interesting, you can switch over. If you do stick with Biology, then perhaps you can take a minor in programming. Good luck.

Lower division programming courses are more time intensive than upper level programming classes though. But anyway, I don't recommend comp engineering as it is hard and will trash your gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really wanted to major in both that badly you definitely could, but would maybe need to take an extra year or two in college so that the workload isn't impossible.

Major in Comp but warning it may ruin your GPA and hopes of med school but you will have a nice career as a fallback. Majoring in Bio, you have to keep your GPA high and realize finding a job with just a bio major us hard if you don't get into med school (the vast majority of people who start off as pre-med don't ) but it prepares you for graduate education in nursing, pharmacy, etc.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a "useful" degree that isn't known to be a GPA killer and minored in bio.

Right, thanks for the responses!

Do I have to major in biology to get into medical school? I just need to complete the pre-reqs right?
I'm thinking maybe I should minor in bio and major in computer science or engineering.

Right, thanks for the responses!

Do I have to major in biology to get into medical school? I just need to complete the pre-reqs right?
I'm thinking maybe I should minor in bio and major in computer science or engineering.

You don't have to major in any science to get into medical school. You can major in almost anything you want and still get into medical school. I believe people major in sciences because they think it will show medical schools that they are more than just competent in a science or multiple sciences and already know the information, though some say it doesn't since you relearn the information. Some actually say majoring outside a science makes a better candidate than those who major in a science because they are a little bit different than the typical perspective medical school. I want to major in accounting or finance or even double major in both. I won't know until I know which college I get accepted to (either a BS/MD or regular undergraduate school) and the requirements to the school I attend. My information may be wrong because it isn't officially verfied, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hello,
I want to major in Biology and Computer Engineering. Is this a good idea? My goal is to become a doctor, but I am also really interested in computer programming and hardware hacking. Will I be able to do pre-med and handle the workload? Has anyone else done this before?

Your major doesn't matter - just make sure you do well in whatever you pick - and btw, bio is a rather easy major - computer engineering isn't the hardest - your proposal to double major isn't impossible but make sure that you don't sacrifice your gpa at the cost of double-majoring.

It sounds like you want to do computer engineering? If you really like it, why not just do that? Bio isn't required except for the pre-requisites, and if you want to add more, maybe add the minor.

> The time spent on a second major can better be spent doing other things, both for the application and for personal growth and enjoyment...unless all you really like doing is studying.