Thoughts on Double Majoring as a Pre-Med?

kameronaz

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post and was wondering what your thoughts were on double majoring or adding minors in college. I am a current senior in high school and want to pursue either some kind of joint MD degree (MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD) in the future. I already plan on majoring in Microbiology, but I was also thinking of adding a double major in Anthropology and then minors in Business, Chemistry, and Spanish. I wanted to do these simply because I have a strong interest in all of them and I think it will make me a better physician down the road (especially the Spanish because I live in a state with a high Spanish speaking presence). I planned this all out with my AP credit and it seems that as long as I take a few classes over the summer each year, I can finish all of it in 7 or 8 semesters.

I am coming here to ask you all what you think about double majoring and triple minoring. I do have an interest in all of these topics and I think the combination of all these would help me become a better physician, business professional, communicator, educator, etc. which I think are all important aspects of the medical field. Do you think this would be beneficial, and do you have any similar stories that you want to share? Any advice would be super beneficial, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn’t matter at all what your major in as long as you complete the prerequisites. Just do what you like best. Don’t overthink.

Reactions: 2 users
Do what interests you and will cover all of your pre-requisites before applying to medical school. You also do not want to overload yourself during undergrad to the point where your grades suffer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Getting any kind of a college education in business is mostly a waste of time, because you can learn what you need to learn on your own with minimal time invested, and no one will really be impressed with your degree/minor/major in business for this reason. This is why a lot of entrepreneurs often drop out of college: they have more important things to do with their time. Get your degrees in science, and follow your passion (which isn't always apparent when you are in HS) and the rest will take care of itself.

Last edited:
kameronaz said:
Hello everyone. This is my first post and was wondering what your thoughts were on double majoring or adding minors in college. I am a current senior in high school and want to pursue either some kind of joint MD degree (MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD) in the future. I already plan on majoring in Microbiology, but I was also thinking of adding a double major in Anthropology and then minors in Business, Chemistry, and Spanish. I wanted to do these simply because I have a strong interest in all of them and I think it will make me a better physician down the road (especially the Spanish because I live in a state with a high Spanish speaking presence). I planned this all out with my AP credit and it seems that as long as I take a few classes over the summer each year, I can finish all of it in 7 or 8 semesters.

I am coming here to ask you all what you think about double majoring and triple minoring. I do have an interest in all of these topics and I think the combination of all these would help me become a better physician, business professional, communicator, educator, etc. which I think are all important aspects of the medical field. Do you think this would be beneficial, and do you have any similar stories that you want to share? Any advice would be super beneficial, thanks!
Hi,

Minors and double majors aren't always necessary to become well-rounded. Often the requirements for double majoring and/or adding minors box you in, and that ends up having the opposite effect: you don't get exposed to as many things as you would if you just took classes that you're interested in.

Sometimes there is a problem getting a seat in a class that you need to graduate and this prevents you from graduating on time.

I'd recommend sitting down with a counseler at your undergrad's advising office to make a better plan for a single major. Remember, although you don't want to take multiple underwater basket weaving courses, you want to get as many A+s as possible. So choose your classes carefully.

Good luck with everything :)

Reactions: 1 user