Double-Majoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammmeyeam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does double-majoring look good for med-school? I mean, I know that it does... but.. to what extent?

If I am double-majoring in Neuroscience and Physci & graduating in 4 yrs... does that appear like a huge accomplishment?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it may look impressive to *some* but it will not be a significant difference IMHO (after all, you aren't generally taking any more units than those who don't double major)and will not make up for a less than average gpa and MCAT. You also run the risk of ruining your science gpa (given that you will be using some of your otherwise elective courses to take more science courses in one of the majors) since you are taking more courses.

Only do it if you are truly interested in both fields and can do well. Otherwise you are missing out on some valuable time to take underwater basketweaving or wine tasting.

Best of luck. :)

Believe it or not, double majoring is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage. It may "look" better but in the end you are doing the same amount of credits as someone who is majoring in only one area (you've basically replaced your electives with the other area of concentration).

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubled in Biology and Exercise Physiology and discovered that most apps won't give you enough characters to list both as majors. I don't think it helped me any, and frankly, now that the whole thing is over, I wish I would have done the second major in philosophy instead of bio.

electra

Just my 2?

I think you should major in something interesting, off the beaten-path (for-premeds) and exciting to you (unless the beaten-path is exciting, at which point, yahoo!)

If you go to med school, you will never really have a chance to do the things that you can do now. So, take music classes, art history, a wine class, a dance class, play an intramural sport, do something outside of the sciences. Make it so that you can speak intelligently about more than just your "double major" stuff.

I don't know you, so I am making certain assumptions, but you will be a more interesting person to an interviewer, and anyone else for that matter, and a more well-rounded individual in general (my god! is that important to anyone else but me?). There are just so many truly boring people out there....

Take it or leave it really. Just my opinion.

Cheers!

Good advice Pergrin!!! Med schools do not favor eggheads, not that you are one sammeyeam :D!!
They like to see someone who is well rounded. Cliche, I know, but true. Let me explain. You will be dealing with non-science people...your patients. You should be able to relate to them in some way. An egghead who has had his nose in the books for 8 years could feel very awkward around patients. Then again, not all MDs work with patients of course. What I am trying to say is that a double major with a non-science (art, music, history, etc) would probably receive more attention. Now, if you truly love neuro and phys than go for it. But don't JUST do it because you think it will turn some heads.

I did a double major in Molecular Cellular Developmental Biology and Marine Biology, so I speak from a little experience. First, don't do it because you think its impressive, its not worth it. I did both because I was trying to decide which one I was more interested in. I'm glad that I did it because it made me more sure of my decision to enter medicine. I regret that I did in in some ways because I neveer really got to do in depth study of either because i was too busy fufilling the requirements of both. Also, i got bored with marine biology and some of my grades suffered because of that.
Just my 2 cents