Double Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdterps83

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always hear about how little strength of schedule/major plays a role in this process. Well, my question is this does a double major pick up much? Just curious, not about to base a major academic decision around SDN. I guess it would go along with what adcoms look at on the AAMCAS transmit. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i think if anything - it helps you personally, and shows a broad base of academic study, in two fields. at the very least, you know more, and can talk about more at cocktail parties;) . i imagine that adcoms won't care very much about it as long as you don't mess up. also i think double majoring in bio and chem is different from bio and english - the latter shows a more rounded interest. otherwise its probably a moot point.

I really don't know, what kind of double major are you thinking?
I am doing bio/philosophy only b/c I couldn't make up my mind which I liked more.

It certainly couldn't hurt.

How's that for a helpful post? ;) :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should do a double major if it truly interests you. People who do a double major just to impress people usually end up dropping them.

i was a social welfare and bio major and interviewers definately liked chatting about it. So i dont think it can hurt in that respect. however they say statistically that double majors generally have lower GPA's.

How about having a major in one area and a minor in another? That is what I plan to do.

Damm school..I just like soo many things:D

I am a bio/dance major.. a minor in chem and criminolgy and a transaltion and interpertation certificate in spanish..Whew:eek:

It can be alot sometimes, but I find that I have no problem doing something I am interested in. My grades have not suffered becasuse of it.

Take a major becasue it intrests you, not because it looks good.:clap:

i'm with princess, do what you enjoy and what excites you, that way you'll do well and be content. i am majoring in both physics and math, with minors in economics and chemistry, and am very happy with my education. if you are happy, and you show it, then the adcomms will be happy for you and that makes for a good fit.

My brother is taking an extra year and getting a double (or triple, I can't remember) major and thinks that is going to impress law schools. My advice to him is to drop all but one major, graduate in 4 years, and get a master's degree. Then apply to law school. The master's degree is much more valuable and more scholarly.

My advice to him would be different, though if his majors were completely unrelated. Bio/dance sounds pretty cool. I would be impressed if I was on the adcom.

Originally posted by Ripley
I really don't know, what kind of double major are you thinking?
I am doing bio/philosophy only b/c I couldn't make up my mind which I liked more.

It certainly couldn't hurt.

How's that for a helpful post? ;) :rolleyes:

Whee, that's what I started out as. However, with premed requirents plus the double major, there was little room at ALL left for other classes I wanted to take (I love literature and language classes too), so I dropped bio down to a minor. Still fun though!

Does a psychology/chemistry double major sound impressive? or what about psychology major and minors in chemistry and spanish? I'm trying to think of what to do with all my extra credits I'll have after psychology and pre-med. And do ADCOMMs ask about fluency in a foreign language. :confused: :confused: :confused:

i think a degree (or a minor) in spanish would be incredibly useful, especially if you plan on staying in florida (or anywhere in the south). i had enough credits to minor in italian, but UNC only lets you have one minor (which was unfortunate, b/c i technically minored in music performance, italian, and chemistry). but i don't think all my italian classes are going to help me out :laugh: .

I was doin a double in biochem/economics but had to drop it for study abroad. I think double majors are great but you can acquire the same 'well rounded education' from taking a bunch of electives, plus you have time to do other kool things. Thats what I did at least.

BTW I know alot of double majors who got into top med programs. The guys were smart though and would have gotten in regardless.

I say, do what you feel like doing (of course, who am I to say :rolleyes: )

When I applied to undergrad, I was a psych major. Then, over the summer, I started stressing, thinking "What will the med schools want?" and switched to double bio/chem. Well, basically every pre-med in the country is using that same line of thinking. So...I thought about it, got some advice from advisors/friends/upperclassmen, and realized that whatever major made me happy would be the one that I should pursue, even though I'm pre-med. So, I dropped the bio major, and picked up Journalism. I still might get a bio minor, but hey -- at least I get the chance to study that which I really like, as opposed to bio, which is interesting but not exactly my life's passion. So, in summation...

So whatever the h@ll you want :cool:

Originally posted by exigente chica
and a transaltion and interpertation certificate in spanish..Whew:eek:

How do you get that certification? Can you PM me por favor? :)

oh p.s. asfafr as this thread goes, I was a double major in Spanish and Latin American Studies.....they kinda went together, but I ended up with lotsa knowledge in the area (and i talked about it at interviews) ;)