• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Double Withdrawal: how does it look?

akademix

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
  1. Medical Student
Posting for a friend:

My friend registered for organic chemistry I last yr; however, due to poor marks, he ended up withdrawing for a course. This year, he decided to retake it, but after consulting his advisor who recommeded that he take it instead over the summer, he dropped the class again; however, since he was past the drop date, the class was recorded as a W. As university policy is very strict, they are not removing this W. Subsequently that summer he retook the course and received an A in orgo I and A in orgo II. How will this double withdrawal affect his chances of admission given the fact that he has a 3.5 gpa with several low grades that he retook? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would tell this "friend" that the prospect of withdrawing twice from the same course looks 100X worse than a normal withdrawal. That being said, the As received in the summer course is undoubtedly a mitigating circumstance. In my humble, esquirian opinion, I shall recommend that thee make the effort to have thy premed committee mention this in the case your school drafts a committee letter. If not, i would seek a recommendation from the professor in whose class you received the A, and have him mention this circumstance. It's my belief that these explanations sound better coming from an external source--as one might smell the foul odor of BULL feces when students explain these situations first hand (true or not). Anyways, I offer encouragement to you...err, I mean your friend.

Akademix Esq.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.