"Commit to enroll" and then withdrawing - how badly does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

icedlattelover

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted into California Northstate School of Medicine for matriculation in 2024. While I would love to attend, it seems like I will not be able to afford it due to astronomically high private loan interest rates. I have to "Commit to Enroll" very soon on AMCAS. What happens if I commit to enroll but later find out that I can't afford it? What will that look like on AMCAS to other medical schools in the chance that I have to reapply during the 2024-2025 cycle? Is "commit to enroll" the same as matriculating? Or, does matriculation mean literally showing up to class on the first day of school? Essentially, is it bad to commit to enroll but not attend due to financial reasons?
 
Yeah - backing out of CN"U" or maybe a Caribbean Crapshoot is the only real reason to turn down an MD acceptance and one of the few ways you can get away with turning an accept down!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted into California Northstate School of Medicine for matriculation in 2024. While I would love to attend, it seems like I will not be able to afford it due to astronomically high private loan interest rates. I have to "Commit to Enroll" very soon on AMCAS. What happens if I commit to enroll but later find out that I can't afford it? What will that look like on AMCAS to other medical schools in the chance that I have to reapply during the 2024-2025 cycle? Is "commit to enroll" the same as matriculating? Or, does matriculation mean literally showing up to class on the first day of school? Essentially, is it bad to commit to enroll but not attend due to financial reasons?
Could I connect with you? I have an interview on Tuesday and would love to pick your brain.