doubts about medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You think the fact that my face looks like a dick will be an issue at interviews?

Perhaps....but I KNOW having a penchant for a reply like this will.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I will be sure to keep the smart ass comments to a minimum during any interviews I am lucky enough to receive

I'm pulling for ya. I hope you are not among the type who have a pattern of "stealing defeat out of the jaws of victory." Used to happen to me when I had Sigmund about ready to "tap out" during our discussions over doppios in Vienna.

Edit: Probably should have said Wagner or Schopenhauer but whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
People who say MDs aren't smart people, are like the people who say anybody can run a 5 minute mile or bench 300 pounds if the just "try" and train hard. People like to downplay genetics gifts as hard work, because genetics aren't fair and hard work is.

Au contraire, at least Malcolm Gladwell has argued all you really need to win a Nobel prize is about an IQ of 120, like supposedly Feynman had an IQ of about that. And because of the Flynn effect it's likely that a 120 in Feynman's day would be a 110 or a 115 now. Hard work out competes genetics any day of the week.

At one time a four minute mile was considered impossible, but right after it was achieved a whole bunch of people started hitting it.

Certainly not everyone is "smart enough" to do certain tasks, but to delimit unnecessarily a whole set of individuals as unable to achieve a goal is Procrustean and unconscionable. I prefer to believe, even if it's slightly unjustified by experience, that the possibility is open to almost everyone to both run a five minute mile and to be a doctor. Why? Because we just don't know what's possible. People are surprising.

Last edited:
Au contraire, at least Malcolm Gladwell has argued all you really need to win a Nobel prize is about an IQ of 120, like supposedly Feynman had an IQ of about that. And because of the Flynn effect it's likely that a 120 in Feynman's day would be a 110 or a 115 now. Hard work out competes genetics any day of the week.

At one time a four minute mile was considered impossible, but right after it was achieved a whole bunch of people started hitting it.

Certainly not everyone is "smart enough" to do certain tasks, but to delimit unnecessarily a whole set of individuals as unable to achieve a goal is Procrustean and unconscionable. I prefer to believe, even if it's slightly unjustified by experience, that the possibility is open to almost everyone to both run a five minute mile and to be a doctor. Why? Because we just don't know what's possible. People are surprising.
It's also "possible" that I will grow a third leg, and yet I continue to buy my shoes in pairs