Doubts on acceptance to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pawsforever

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I am a college senior and was recently accepted into a veterinary school in the US. I'm keeping it private but I have a 3.7 GPA. I was initially interview, then waitlisted, then accepted. Despite my great GPA, I had sucky GRE scores. Anyhow, I am writing because I am doubting my choice on veterinary school..

I've worked in an emergency small animal practice for a couple of years and it hasn't really helped or deterred me off track, as you can tell because I ended up applying. The doubt started as a sophomore and I haven't been able to commit to a decision. I love animals, and I love science. But I don't know what it is that is creating this doubt. I don't know if it's the idea that I won't be able to do the work load, because I feel as though I have worked 10x than the average student to get where I am at in undergrad. Or maybe it is the debt which will be terribly high and long to pay off. Or it is the entire stress of the whole process that scares me.

I was also accepted into an animal master's program that only accepts 10 people. But it's not as science based which is a concern since my undergrad major in small animal science. I feel the pressure of everyone's joy for me because it is such an accomplishment but because of my doubts I've been unable to be excited. And THAT'S a concern. I should be screaming I'm in..

I have no clue what to do and I'm seriously struggling. I don't know if the doubt alone is enough to say well don't do it then and pass up such a huge opportunity. But what if I go and hate it and have missed out on my other opportunities? After all, loan payments kick in 6 months post graduation if you don't enroll as a grad student.

I need some serious unbiased advice. And before someone gets rude with me for being doubtful, just know I AM grateful for the opportunity. Just struggling with it.
 
Life is a series of choices and consequences. Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball and can tell you if you will be happier in a masters program over veterinary medicine, I can tell you though that many have doubts before vet school and worry if they are qualified to handle the course load. Heck, the first day of orientation I was sweating bullets because I was for sure they accidentally sent me my acceptance letter and would not have a packet for me.
I can tell you also that vet school is not fun, but anything worth doing is hard.

Perhaps take a trip to the school you were accepted in and tour it once more, talk to the students there, and see where that leads you. Good Luck :luck:
 
There's nothing wrong with not feeling excited for vet school. If you're not, maybe ask the school if you can defer a year to sort things out. If they grant it, get a job outside of vet med and see if that's something want to do. Or maybe doing that something else will make you realize that you do want to go to vet school after all. If they don't grant it, you just have to make a decision. Really, there's no such thing as serious unbiased advice. No one can tell you what's best for you. But if you have serious doubts, I personally wouldn't do it because you're setting yourself up for misery (not just during school, but once you hit repayment). If you're just getting jitters, then whatever, a lot of people do. You'll get over it once you become too busy to think about it in vet school.

If you get a job, you can start paying back your UG loans. Dude, if you can pay it off in your potential "gap year," all the better, since it'll allow you to go on PAYE instead of IBR which is a much better deal. If the school will allow you to defer, also check to see if that can make you an IS student (if you're currently considered OOS). Don't just stay in school just to avoid repayment... because you're just making the problem worse. It also sounds like you're not that excited about the master's program... so maybe don't do that? Though I don't understand why the program not being as science based is a concern just because your UG major was small animal science... You do the program if you like the program and think that it'll help with a future career you'd like to pursue. It's really not that complicated.

What I don't understand is why you felt the need to post your stats, and the fact that you got accepted off the waitlist. Or the fact that the master's program only accepts 10 people (FYI though, that's true of many master's programs). Or that all of this is such an accomplishment and that you should be grateful for the opportunity. Are you feeling like you don't deserve it? Because if you got in, who cares. Really, that's a stupid reason to become doubtful (unless your school has a high attrition rate and you really wonder if you wouldn't be able to keep up academically). Also, just because someone gives you an opportunity, it doesn't mean you have to take it no matter how prestigious it is or whatever. You do what is best for what you want in life. So really. Do you want to be a vet or not, given all the baggage that goes along with it? One thing we can't do is do your soul searching for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both of you actually did give me good advice. My whole concern with the master's program is that I love science, and would feel cheated that I didn't get to apply it as much. I think a lot of it is in fact jitters of whether I can actually do it and be a good vet. Nothing is written in stone if I choose this path and have made a mistake. As of now though, I'm starting to feel like this is the right path for me.
 
I think a lot of it is in fact jitters of whether I can actually do it and be a good vet.

I still have "jitters" about if I will actually be a good vet or not. I don't want to be one of those vets that misses and obvious diagnosis or something. It is normal to be nervous about this. I would be more worried about someone who did not any nervousness going into a professional school and was completely sure of themselves that they will do awesome.

I second what someone else said though, if you need to defer to make up your mind, then do so. Work a different type of job, pay back a little on your UG loans, maybe do a little work at a vet clinic just to get enough of a reminder of what it is like. Then after that time off, you can decide if it is still right for you.
 
I think everyone experiences some level of doubt about going to vet school for any reason (debt, moving, academic rigor, etc). I still doubt myself every now and then. But look how many people before you have become veterinarians - there's got to be at least one person that didn't work as hard as you, or isn't as smart as you, or whatever. And they made it, so you can too.

I really can't say if your level of doubt is more than "normal" because I don't know you or your previous decisions. To me, the most important thing is to make the decision and stick with it, make the most out of it. If you do decide to do the Masters, own it and put vet school out of your mind and vice versa. The grass is always greener and all that jazz.
 
Both of you actually did give me good advice. My whole concern with the master's program is that I love science, and would feel cheated that I didn't get to apply it as much. I think a lot of it is in fact jitters of whether I can actually do it and be a good vet. Nothing is written in stone if I choose this path and have made a mistake. As of now though, I'm starting to feel like this is the right path for me.

Imposter syndrome. Very common in high achieving people, especially females (not sure if you are male or female OP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Don't let it eat you alive.

Let me tell you, I am 4 years out of vet school and I STILL feel that way sometimes. Like one day they are going to "find me out" :laugh:
 
Imposter syndrome. Very common in high achieving people, especially females (not sure if you are male or female OP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Don't let it eat you alive.

Let me tell you, I am 4 years out of vet school and I STILL feel that way sometimes. Like one day they are going to "find me out" :laugh:

This is SOOOO real. I've been working as an engineer for 5 years and every day I feel like I'm going to be found out! :nailbiting: None of my engineering coworkers know about my vettie stuff occupying basically all of my time outside of work

Ditto everyone's advice above 🙄
 
I'm on to you, WTF. :naughty:

When-someone-touches-my-laptop-screen-when-pointing-something-out.gif
 
Hey all,

I am a college senior and was recently accepted into a veterinary school in the US. I'm keeping it private but I have a 3.7 GPA. I was initially interview, then waitlisted, then accepted. Despite my great GPA, I had sucky GRE scores. Anyhow, I am writing because I am doubting my choice on veterinary school..

I've worked in an emergency small animal practice for a couple of years and it hasn't really helped or deterred me off track, as you can tell because I ended up applying. The doubt started as a sophomore and I haven't been able to commit to a decision. I love animals, and I love science. But I don't know what it is that is creating this doubt. I don't know if it's the idea that I won't be able to do the work load, because I feel as though I have worked 10x than the average student to get where I am at in undergrad. Or maybe it is the debt which will be terribly high and long to pay off. Or it is the entire stress of the whole process that scares me.

I was also accepted into an animal master's program that only accepts 10 people. But it's not as science based which is a concern since my undergrad major in small animal science. I feel the pressure of everyone's joy for me because it is such an accomplishment but because of my doubts I've been unable to be excited. And THAT'S a concern. I should be screaming I'm in..

I have no clue what to do and I'm seriously struggling. I don't know if the doubt alone is enough to say well don't do it then and pass up such a huge opportunity. But what if I go and hate it and have missed out on my other opportunities? After all, loan payments kick in 6 months post graduation if you don't enroll as a grad student.

I need some serious unbiased advice. And before someone gets rude with me for being doubtful, just know I AM grateful for the opportunity. Just struggling with it.
I think you need to sit down and talk to someone and find out the true source of your doubts about school.
If, as WTF, points out, it is impostor syndrome, then you can probably just move forward..
but there may be something else there too.

Better to figure it out now, than later i say.