Doubts on UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon213

X Factor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSF.

I wonder what is all the hype about UCSF. There are a series of doubts which I can pose for the school. Here they are:

* Despite the fact they proclaims diversity, the student body really is not. From what I heard, there are 40% Asians. I'm not knocking on Asians or anything by all means, but how can having 40% Asians in the student body leads to diversity?
The city of San Francisco is primarily Asian, so that may explains the data. But if the school proclaims diversity, I like to see more Blacks, Hispanics, and American-Indians.

* Research. Yes it is research oriented, but that doesn't mean that it is directly dental related research. It is a conglomerate of research and science, but how much of the research and funding is really passed of to the dental school.

* The dental school is shadowed by all the other health professions. It doesn't really have a core in itself. UCSF is known for its medical school, and people would kill to go there. But dental school? What have we heard about its dental school that really makes it worthwhile? We know it is hard to be accepted, but that's just the nature of CA schools, and that it doesn't imply the school is good in itself.

* Facilities are old, let's face it. It is not a clinically orientated school.

* Despite its location in SF, and you would imagine plenty of patient cases, but that isn't always true. Why is that?

* Governor is likely to cut funding in education? It's a question in my mind whether if that will affect the dental school?

* It is an overly competitive school that doesn't foster team work. Everyone who are there are there for super high grades, and their super desire to enter specialty. Instead of an environment where students work together and mutually support one another, people are cut throat to get the highest ranks. Despite the changes to a P/F system, I believe the atomsphere is too ingrained, and the student body are already chosen by admission committee that unconsciously selects students who are competitive. Hence, it is likely that the school is super competitive without much support.

* It's presence with medical school likely imply much inter-communications that will exist with them. Are they friendly? Or would they get on their pedestal and look down at the dental students with an arrogant eye?

There's enough question and doubts in me about UCSF to not make it my top choice. Perhaps NYU or Columbia seem to fit better. However, I like to hear what all of you have to say.

I'm sure there are positives about the school, but at this point the negatives is outweighing the positive by a landslide. Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck on this one. Your best bet is to find a current student and speak to them over the phone.

I'd post some comments in response to your individual points, but you probably wouldn't like what I have to say, and I have no first-hand knowledge of UCSF.

Members don't see this ad :)
anon213 said:
UCSF.

I wonder what is all the hype about UCSF. There are a series of doubts which I can pose for the school. Here they are:

* Despite the fact they proclaims diversity, the student body really is not. From what I heard, there are 40% Asians. I'm not knocking on Asians or anything by all means, but how can having 40% Asians in the student body leads to diversity?
The city of San Francisco is primarily Asian, so that may explains the data. But if the school proclaims diversity, I like to see more Blacks, Hispanics, and American-Indians.

* Research. Yes it is research oriented, but that doesn't mean that it is directly dental related research. It is a conglomerate of research and science, but how much of the research and funding is really passed of to the dental school.

* The dental school is shadowed by all the other health professions. It doesn't really have a core in itself. UCSF is known for its medical school, and people would kill to go there. But dental school? What have we heard about its dental school that really makes it worthwhile? We know it is hard to be accepted, but that's just the nature of CA schools, and that it doesn't imply the school is good in itself.

* Despite its location in SF, and you would imagine plenty of patient cases, but that isn't always true. Why is that?

* Governor is likely to cut funding in education? It's a question in my mind whether if that will affect the dental school?

* It is an overly competitive school that doesn't foster team work. Everyone who are there are there for super high grades, and their super desire to enter specialty. Instead of an environment where students work together and mutually support one another, people are cut throat to get the highest ranks. Despite the changes to a P/F system, I believe the atomsphere is too ingrained, and the student body are already chosen by admission committee that unconsciously selects students who are competitive. Hence, it is likely that the school is super competitive without much support.

* It's presence with medical school likely imply much inter-communications that will exist with them. Are they friendly? Or would they get on their pedestal and look down at the dental students with an arrogant eye?

There's enough question and doubts in me about UCSF to not make it my top choice. Perhaps NYU or Columbia seem to fit better. However, I like to hear what all of you have to say.

I'm sure there are positives about the school, but at this point the negatives is outweighing the positive by a landslide. Thanks for all your help.

Where do you want to live after graduation?

152 views, but not a single meaningful response. Yikes. There got to be UCSF people out there, or people who don't like UCSF. Does Dr. Badvibes like UCSF?

jk5177 said:
152 views, but not a single meaningful response. Yikes. There got to be UCSF people out there, or people who don't like UCSF. Does Dr. Badvibes like UCSF?
Here comes Dr badvibes hootin and hollerin. i can smell him coming.

jk5177 said:

Hey!

He never answered me.....if he wants to live and practice in Utah vs. Cali - makes a difference!

And what is your recommendation since you live in San Jose?

I agree, we do nee more non-asian, non white students. But,we probably have more non-asian and non-white students than other dental schools. Even within our asian student body, we got people from Lao, cambodia, burma, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Japan, korea.....You get the point. All asians have different backgrounds.

UCSF has the most dental research funding in the nation, period.

World class faculty and research. Relatively low tuition. very comprehensive program. good location. assess to med school's facility.
clinically oriented school doesn't really make you good clinically. What you do after class, how much more effort you put in, and how you learn from your professor are more important.
Don't know anything about that. I rarely hear people complain about lack of patients,though.
Don't know much about that.

That is not true at all. Not everyone is competitive. You just needed to find your niche. My class is fun and friendly. The admission commitee really just trying to put most well rounded, and most qualified people together.

We rarely interact with them. They are cool. You can't tell which field they are from anyways.

I am not sure about NYU and Columbia would be good choices for you, if above points are your concerns. Columbia is two floors of their medical teaching abiltiy. Students seems to be under alot of stress when I was there for interview. And NYU isn't really a research school. Tuition is twice as much. The facitlity is even older than ucsf. Both NYU and Columbia are not diverse at all. I am sure they got plenty of asian and even less non asian than UCSF.

Contact me if you got any concern. I think UCSF is a great school

Ali is correct in all that he has said/written. Just a few points to add/reinforce:

- Yes, UCSF has a lot of "asians" (about 40%), but what about the remaining 60%? The remaining student body is very diverse - more diverse than most other dental schools. And within the asian race there are certain ethnicities that are still considered under-represented in dental schools - Filipino, Vietnamese, Laotian, Cambodian, etc... UCSF has these students as well.

- We also do get the most research grant money from the NIH (and have ranked #1 in funding for the past 13 years)... if you want to do research - dental related or not, it is definitely available to you.

- I am a 3rd year student and in my opinion, there is no lack in the patient pool. I am swamped with patients and have been giving away my patients to my classmates and 2nd years. Yes, they may not all require root canals or crowns, but they are good patients.

- I agree the pre-clinic and clinic could use some modernization. But that is in the works... last year they installed new flat-screen monitors at every workstation and we're able to see all the demos from a central station. They are working on replacing the lab benches, etc. We also have the manniquin heads at each station (the kind that UOP and other "sim lab" schools have). In the clinic, they are installing computer stations in each cubicle so that we can go paperless... they project that it should be done by March. No more charts, etc.

- I don't believe that the admissions committee "unconsciously selects students who are competitive." I was on the interviewing committee, and the selection criteria used was more about the overall person - grades and stats aren't emphasized as much. The P/F system has done A LOT to eliminate MOST of the competition - but eliminating ALL competition is virtually impossible at any school! I have seen the 1st year class interacting, and they foster a very friendly and non-competitive atmosphere. Honestly, it depends on the dynamics of the class and the individuals within the class.

These are just my opinions and experiences... and obviously I am biased because I go to school at UCSF. But since you did have questions... hope I was able to shed some light.