Pediatric dentistry on call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juniordentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering about possibly doing a pediatric dentistry residency. My main concern is the on call component. Wondering what it looks like and how hectic it would be in a 2year program?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies from program to program. I've met residents at some program where when you're on call, it's get pretty busy. Especially metro cities (I.e. Dallas, Los Angeles, etc). Other residents I've met, the calls are far and few in between. Mine was somewhere in the middle. It is good though to have that experience as pediatric dental trauma is a core topic. Lots of kids be injuring their front teeth whether it be sports or just being kids haha.

My main concern is the on call component.
IMG_0035.jpeg

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate? How do they structure it?
It is entirely program dependent. You may be on call one day at a time, or one week at a time. You may be on call by yourself, or you may be paired up with another resident. I think over the course of my residency I saw 80-100 after hours/weekend emergency patients. Even if it was something super minor, if I got paged into the ED, it was a minimum of 2 hours of my time. That doesn’t include hundreds of dumb phone calls I had to triage. To this day, if I hear a beeping sound even remotely close to how my pager sounded I look like this...

IMG_0037.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys, just wondering about possibly doing a pediatric dentistry residency. My main concern is the on call component. Wondering what it looks like and how hectic it would be in a 2year program?
Tried to PM you but it looks like you don't allow PM. Could you message me? Have some questions (and answers for some of the threads you opened).