Dow posts worst Opening Day in 8 years

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by BLADEMDA, Jan 4, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. GA8314

GA8314 Regaining my sanity 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2014
    I mean if you see large run ups and you THINK the market is at a high (who can predict that?), then unless you NEED to rebalance which would warrant some selling (while keeping the rest of your % according to your rebalance (in spite of your thoughts on that asset class being very high)), you would stay vested.

Timing the market by "taking some off the table" and say, into cash, can lead to major missed opportunities. I don't have all the answers and have made the mistake of thinking I do in the past. But, aside from rebalancing, staying fully vested is the way to go because of the fact that most corrections in history (going back a long time) have happened in some very short weeks and months. And if you are on the sidelines then you can easily miss those corrections/gains (unless your timing skills are superhuman).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. facted

facted ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2008
    NYC
    With another thread asking for investment advice, it's a good time to check in on this. Still waiting for that 25-40% drop in "a few months" and silver up 26 as predicted. I guess I'll keep waiting. It's just bound to happen. ;)

4. facted

facted ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2008
    NYC
    [/QUOTE]
    Well, not quite a year but you have a lot of ground to make up on this one!

5. dr doze

dr doze To be able to forget means to sanity Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2006
    Haruspicy
    Ancient system of divination using the entrails of animals. One method was to sacrifice animals to the gods, then inspect the intestines, spleen, kidneys, lungs, gall bladder, and liver. The shapes, colors, and markings of entrails were interpreted. Skilled haruspices or diviners also claimed to be able to interpret the condition of entrails from the outward appearances of animals, such as colors and shapes of eyes, ears, and other organs.

See also market timing, lottery tickets, and stock picking.

facted likes this.
  6. BLADEMDA

BLADEMDA ASA Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Southeast
    Wells Fargo head of equity strategy on his bearish outlook

"Rich stock market valuations with historical low volatility in an extended period (years) of extreme slow economic growth with fiscal uncertainty of free-market growth policies is a prescription for a severe market correction at a minimum!" Conrad Kuhn wrote in The KonLin Letter as cited in the II report.

Retail investors have become even more cautious than the pro side.

In the most recent American Association of Individual Investors survey, bulls stood at just 29.3 percent while the bears were at 35.7 percent.

7. GA8314

GA8314 Regaining my sanity 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2014

This book is extremely simple to read but has very useful graphs and timelines showing you how trying to predict/time the market will hurt you in the long run.

8. BLADEMDA

Apr 22, 2007
    Southeast
    Second-longest bull market ever aging gracefully, but investors wonder how long it will last
    • Since the prior bear market ended in March 2009, this advance in equities is now the second-oldest on record without at least a 20 percent drop in the S&P 500.
    • The current trailing 10-year annual return for the index is only 7.6 percent. At previous major bull market peaks, this 10-year annual pace has routinely been above 15 percent.
    • There aren't many worrisome stresses in the capital markets at the moment. All asset classes appear similarly stretched in valuation – yet rationally valued in relation to one another.

Second-longest bull market ever aging gracefully, but investors wonder how long it will last

9. BLADEMDA

Apr 22, 2007
    Southeast