ODB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
Status
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some feedback regarding this manner. I'm trying to decide between attending SUNY Downstate or SUNY Stony Brook and I have to make the decision shortly. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ODB said:
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some feedback regarding this manner. I'm trying to decide between attending SUNY Downstate or SUNY Stony Brook and I have to make the decision shortly. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much.
The environments between these two schools is like night and day.. i would think that should be a huge influencing factor.

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
the giggle pit
Status
yeah, i think it comes down to location. i have some friends at stony brook and they are happy there. but if being 1.5 hours from NYC is a serious concern of yours then perhaps downstate is a better pick. if it were me, i would go to stony. it's a great school, great people, great professors, lots of exciting research in the area (if you are into that sort of thing) and nice suburban environment with green and trees.
i'm would love to be at stony brook.

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
DOWNSTATE....HANDS DOWN........Stony brook can't compete with their clinical experience or reputation.

jjmack

15+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
LA
Status
MD/PhD Student, Resident [Any Field]
While I agree that downstate may have a more diverse patient population everyone I know in the medical field feel that stony brook as a much better reputation in terms of research and medicine.

Bigsheed920 said:
DOWNSTATE....HANDS DOWN........Stony brook can't compete with their clinical experience or reputation.

rachel711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
definitley DOWNSTATE

- its closer to nyc
- better reputation among nyc hospitals
- students seem happier (not a commuter school like stony brook)

Drdrums

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status
rachel711 said:
definitley DOWNSTATE

- its closer to nyc
- better reputation among nyc hospitals
- students seem happier (not a commuter school like stony brook)
I am kinda confused why people keep saying Stony Brook is a commuter school? By that I assume you mean students don't live in university-provided housing, but that is the case for all of the schools I am familiar with in rural or suburban locations (I guess because in cities university housing is cheaper than what people could find on their own). My understanding from speaking with people in research and medicine that Stony Brook has a real edge over the other SUNY's. I prefer not to put much weight in US News, but they seem to confirm this.
I also don't know how you figure they have a better rep. among NYC hospitals, or even what that means. As compared to private schools in NYC?