• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

DrLeoMarvin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi guys, I've also been accepted to the Downstate Class of '11!

I'm 75/25 that I'm going to attend Downstate (choosing b/w AECOM and Downstate). I'm trying to find evidence that Downstate students do just as well as AECOM students during the match process b/c I really want to go to Downstate (want to live in Brooklyn instead of the Bronx and in-state tuition is a huge draw). I have looked at the match lists for both schools but I don't know much about residency programs so they don't really tell me much.

Where do Downstate students do there Pediatric training? As of right now I think I want to do a pediatric residency followed by a fellowship in Allergy/Immunology or Endocrinology or something else. I really liked the The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore at AECOM and was wondering if Downstate had something similar.

Thanks for the help...look forward to meeting everyone!

samwise2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey there. Here is my 2 cents. Einstein students definitely get more competitive residencies by and large. That being said, you need to think about what you want. Going for peds is not as competitive as many other specialties, partially due to the low pay. Plus at the end of the day, the way I figure it, you do best where you are happiest. I think probably the hospital facilities are better at AECOM, but I do know the ER is supposed to be awesome at Downstate. And from what I hear you get a lot of hands on experience. Best of luck! :)

Hi guys, I've also been accepted to the Downstate Class of '11!

I'm 75/25 that I'm going to attend Downstate (choosing b/w AECOM and Downstate). I'm trying to find evidence that Downstate students do just as well as AECOM students during the match process b/c I really want to go to Downstate (want to live in Brooklyn instead of the Bronx and in-state tuition is a huge draw). I have looked at the match lists for both schools but I don't know much about residency programs so they don't really tell me much.

Where do Downstate students do there Pediatric training? As of right now I think I want to do a pediatric residency followed by a fellowship in Allergy/Immunology or Endocrinology or something else. I really liked the The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore at AECOM and was wondering if Downstate had something similar.

Thanks for the help...look forward to meeting everyone!

applyingsucks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think AECOM is a better school. Better match list, the school has more money, better research, better facilities, better housing. But i like Brooklyn over the Bronx. And I'm a state school kind of guy.

Tough decision, but I'd go to Downstate. Especially if your not looking at Derm, Rads, Plastics, Neuro, Surgery for your residency. If you want the basic internal medicine, peds, ob, etc (the less competitive ones), save your money and go to Downstate.

Again, this is just my opinion

About the Ads

DrLeoMarvin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think AECOM is a better school. Better match list, the school has more money, better research, better facilities, better housing. But i like Brooklyn over the Bronx. And I'm a state school kind of guy.

Tough decision, but I'd go to Downstate. Especially if your not looking at Derm, Rads, Plastics, Neuro, Surgery for your residency. If you want the basic internal medicine, peds, ob, etc (the less competitive ones), save your money and go to Downstate.

Thanks so much for the help...I think the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on Downstate is the 5% of me that thinks I may want to go into a more competitive residency. But I have to make the decision based on what I'm thinking now and I can always change in the future (and if I do change I'll have a little more money in my pocket...or be less in debt).

In order to get one of the competitive residencies do you need to be in top 10% on the USMLE? I know it isn't a true science, but how competitive are they?

Thanks!

jsnuka

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
AECOM is P/F for the Basic Science years, correct? I believe that Downstate has 4 descriptors when in comes to grading intervals.

BellyDancingDoc

Rump Shaker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
AECOM is P/F for the Basic Science years, correct? I believe that Downstate has 4 descriptors when in comes to grading intervals.

Not only is AECOM P/F, but they're unranked P/F. That's super important.

Whether it's important enough to pay the extra money, though... I dunno. That'll be for the OP to decide.

drc243

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
First of all congratulations on having great options. Its funny you post this because when i applied I knew that such a decision would be tough. However, i only got into downstate, which i am psyched about, but didnt interview at einstein or nyu, so the decision was made for me.
In my opinion you should definitely go to a second look day for both schools and try to picture yourself in each school. Find out about all of downstate affiliated hospitals and if they stack up to einstein. At the end of the day you should go where you will be happy. I think that this residency match lists idea is not as important as people make it out to be when comparing a school like downstate and einstein. Getting a competitive residency will eventually boil down to your board scores, grades (btw downstate is not pass fail), recomendations, research, and the school you went to.
If you are a brooklyn loving guy like myself then go to downstate. You can live in parkslope, if thats your thing, and live in a pseudo NYU village like atmosphere. The 100,000 grand of less debt is also a big plus for downstate. Both school produce fantastic doctors so go where you will be happy and not where people tell you has a better match list.

Best,
Dave

AlberttheGator

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Gatorcountry
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Why would you say this? I have seen on their match lists that people match into these residencies at Downstate.

D

deleted89854

I'm a 5th year at Einstein (research), and I recall my original graduating class got whatever pediatrics residency they wanted. I can't speak for Downstate, since I've never been there. A bunch (4 or 5) went to Oakland Children's, one of the best programs in the country. CHAM is a pretty sweet hospital, and the Children's Hospital at LIJ is pretty fancy as well. If that's what you're into, I'm pretty sure AECOM would be a good choice.

I'm currently on vacation month, and lurking these boards out of sheer boredom. Feel free to PM w/ questions.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.