Downstate vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Dukes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure its my turn to start one of these threads...I'm trying to decide between NYMC and Downstate. I've listed both their pros and cons below, any additions or info would be greatly appreciated.

NYMC:
Pros: High USMLE step 1 (225, 99+% pass), early access to WMC clinical stuff (can "join" the transplant team), nice new building. Good clinical opprotunities (St. Vincent is crazy, WMC is big and good). Better match list.

Cons: Valhallah is boring for when you want to socalize. Not very good advising 1st and 2nd year (heard this from a second year) about residency options. Harder to get access to good research.

Downstate:
Pros: In NYC (I'm a city kid), Kings County, longitudional curriculum, very good clinical experience (lots of end stage disease). Tuition is much less than NYMC. Students seem to be very very happy.

Cons: Support staff (nurses et al)@ Downstate apparently suck (you have to wheel your patients to X-Ray and draw labs and stuff). Not as good USMLE as NYMC (they wouldn't tell me at my interview, which makes me think it isn't a good). Hard to get access to good research.

So...what do people think? Am I totally right or totally wrong? I've thought about this alot, but thought I would bring my decision making process to the masses to get input.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as having fun in Valhalla, yea it's pretty suburban, but that doesn't mean there are not things to do. And isn't Westchester/White Plains supposed to be fun? And then NYC is very very close if you have a free day. I think it will be great to be in a suburban area to study, and be close enough to one of the greatest places ever to have fun that you can get there whenever you want. I don't think that should be a big con for NYMC.

Consider the tuition. I believe the difference is at least 15K per year in favor of Downstate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think wheeling patients as a student is a big deal. At least it gives you something to do, and you can feel more empowered. Although I hope that you can learn and not just do scut.
You don't need resdiency advising in the first two years. Just keep an open mind and explore any interests you have with upper students, faculty and books/websites.
If you want to do research between 1st and 2nd years, it is nice if it is well set up, but if not, you can plan ahead and set yourself up on your own, even at another school. In the long run, you won't make much $$ over that summer.
$15k tuition differnce can really add up, especially when you are trying to pay for housing and pay back loans in residency (if you are there too long to defer) or you are gong into a less lucrative field.
I don't know if reputation on either of these makes much of a difference.
I don't think that the school will make much of a differnece for your step 1 if you are good at tests and study well; the biggest difference will probably be with your classmates and how "test focused" they are. This can be good or bad, depending on your opinion.

i think this particular decision thread came up recently, and the answer was downstate.

i think this particular decision thread came up recently, and the answer was downstate.

And why was Downstate the verdict?

I think location shouldn't matter for your first 2 years, as you will be so busy in medical school, that it wont matter if you are in NYC or sitting in your apartment in a blizzard on the coast of Maine!

I think the important part of deciding which school to attend is how comfortable you felt at the school and if you enjoyed the current students and applicants.

The key to medical school is enjoying your classmates and whatever free time you have, and enjoy the work, because what you study should interest you so much so that all the studying doesn't feel like such a chore.

And why was Downstate the verdict?

I think location shouldn't matter for your first 2 years, as you will be so busy in medical school, that it wont matter if you are in NYC or sitting in your apartment in a blizzard on the coast of Maine!

I think the important part of deciding which school to attend is how comfortable you felt at the school and if you enjoyed the current students and applicants.

The key to medical school is enjoying your classmates and whatever free time you have, and enjoy the work, because what you study should interest you so much so that all the studying doesn't feel like such a chore.

i'm being fecitious (sic), but it did seem as though people overall were siding with downstate due to $ and location issues. op should search and read for her/himself.

Its funny...I actually liked NYMC more. When I visited Downstate I was super psyched, but realized after the fact a lot of that had to do with being in the actual city, and not a lot had to do with anything to do with their education.
I sort of go back and forth every day, so was just hoping for any more info think about...