Downstate vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hlam84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what people think about these two schools... where would you go and why? Thank for any opinions in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering what people think about these two schools... where would you go and why? Thank for any opinions in advance.

depends on what you're looking for. tufts may have more of a research focus -- so if clinical investigation is one of your career goals, you may find that what tufts has to offer during your undergraduate medical years is greater in depth and breadth toward this end.

downstate, on the other hand, continues to brandish (with good reason) a status of second-to-none as far as clinical training is concerned.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're from NY, Downstate all the freakin' way.

I am going to make a simple point. Downstate costs 18,800. Tufts cost near 40,000. Do you receive twice the education at tufts, probally not.

Best,
Dave

I am going to make a simple point. Downstate costs 18,800. Tufts cost near 40,000. Do you receive twice the education at tufts, probally not.

Best,
Dave

I went to Tufts for med school and can vouch that the above poster is right on target. At Tufts, they will tell you on interview day to go to your state school, and they are right. Not just the tuition, but the snobbery and gunner mentality at Tufts is higher than many schools. If you are not Jewish, don't expect to fit in very well @ Tufts (although a very few rich Asian women managed to fit in OK I suppose). That said, parts of the clinical education are outstanding, and Boston is a beautiful (albeit expensive) city.

Last edited:
I'm at Tufts as well, and found my class to be very diverse in personalities. There are many down to earth kids who make for great classmates and friends. As with many med schools it is like high school all over again with the cool kids, sporty kids, loners, gunners, and clowns. A random student's opinion I suspect would fall along the same lines as if you asked person X in your yearbook what they tought of XHS class of 2002. Cash and cirriculum being a more comparable stat it is no secret the cost is high but the resources are pretty good. Anywhere you go be ready to be back in high school only this time around hopefully you get a chance to be the person you wanted to be... unless you wanted to be jewish and are not, I'm not sure what the rules are about that.

I'm at Tufts as well, and found my class to be very diverse in personalities. There are many down to earth kids who make for great classmates and friends. As with many med schools it is like high school all over again with the cool kids, sporty kids, loners, gunners, and clowns. A random student's opinion I suspect would fall along the same lines as if you asked person X in your yearbook what they tought of XHS class of 2002. Cash and cirriculum being a more comparable stat it is no secret the cost is high but the resources are pretty good. Anywhere you go be ready to be back in high school only this time around hopefully you get a chance to be the person you wanted to be... unless you wanted to be jewish and are not, I'm not sure what the rules are about that.

current 4th yr at tufts. i interviewed at downstate for residency and can offer this:
you are much less likely to get shot at tufts than at downstate.