Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Downtime before fall classes

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Maxprime, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Maxprime

Maxprime Higgs chaser
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What is the best thing (for application purposes) to do in the months before classes? I was just going to volunteer at a hospital, but a friend told me that there are EMT-B classes starting in January that I could finish before I leave - I figured that would give me better opportunities to volunteer after I move. Thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dcb154

dcb154 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think this should get a bump as I'm in the same boat with some idle time. I'm taking an EMT class (to increase my opportunities as well) and volunteering at a hospital. But what about doing more unique volunteer activities in the summer? I've had a hard time finding programs to get on board with, yet hear about people w/little health exp. going to elaborate countries and doing some pretty great things.

Anyone know where to find the resources, being that I am no longer a "student" in the usual sense? Thanks.

4. Fantastik19

Fantastik19 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Few questions about EMT-B:
    How long is an EMT-B course? How much did it cost you? How demanding is/was it?

P.S. have you ever thought of mentoring? or doing an AmeriCorps project? some mentoring opportunities dont req. any commitments.