Downtime before fall classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxprime

Higgs chaser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best thing (for application purposes) to do in the months before classes? I was just going to volunteer at a hospital, but a friend told me that there are EMT-B classes starting in January that I could finish before I leave - I figured that would give me better opportunities to volunteer after I move. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think this should get a bump as I'm in the same boat with some idle time. I'm taking an EMT class (to increase my opportunities as well) and volunteering at a hospital. But what about doing more unique volunteer activities in the summer? I've had a hard time finding programs to get on board with, yet hear about people w/little health exp. going to elaborate countries and doing some pretty great things.

Anyone know where to find the resources, being that I am no longer a "student" in the usual sense? Thanks.

Few questions about EMT-B:
How long is an EMT-B course? How much did it cost you? How demanding is/was it?

P.S. have you ever thought of mentoring? or doing an AmeriCorps project? some mentoring opportunities dont req. any commitments.