Doximity (in general, not just on residency rankings)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantasty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know where to start this conversation. It seems like all (or at least most) of the discussions on here re: Doximity have been about their attempts to rank and review residencies. So, I don't really want to rehash that.

But, in general - for any or all other uses of the site, do you use it? Do you think it's helpful in any regard? I mean, it seems like everyone should at least claim their profile and make sure it's updated since other databases are pulling provider information from it.

I haven't found much use for job searches and networking on there, compared to other sites. And, even though "XX% of my class" has registered (like they like to say in the emails), I don't really see much interaction of my classmates on there.

Am I missing something? Are there features I'm not taking advantage of? I met someone socially that pointed out she uses it for her professional fax number since she works at multiple sites. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think it's helpful in any regard?
No. It seems like a pathetic attempt at data mining from voluntary users without providing any useful service in return.

I mean, it seems like everyone should at least claim their profile and make sure it's updated since other databases are pulling provider information from it.
If Myspace went and created a profile for you and asked that you update it, would you? I wouldn't update my page on doximity for the same reason. It has no significance, but seems desperate to convince people that it does.

Reactions: 3 users
Am I missing something? Are there features I'm not taking advantage of? I met someone socially that pointed out she uses it for her professional fax number since she works at multiple sites. Just curious.
I haven't found a use for it. Seems like a massive circle jerk for the most part. I did update my profile 4 years ago for the reasons you pointed out, but haven't been back since.

They did just introduce a calling app that allows you to mask your outgoing number as your office (or I suppose, any) number so that when you're on call and calling patients, you don't have to *67 them (about half of the calls I make this way get blocked). I'm kind if curious to try it. I'll see if I can use "911" as the number I'm calling from.

I don't know where to start this conversation. It seems like all (or at least most) of the discussions on here re: Doximity have been about their attempts to rank and review residencies. So, I don't really want to rehash that.

But, in general - for any or all other uses of the site, do you use it? Do you think it's helpful in any regard? I mean, it seems like everyone should at least claim their profile and make sure it's updated since other databases are pulling provider information from it.

I haven't found much use for job searches and networking on there, compared to other sites. And, even though "XX% of my class" has registered (like they like to say in the emails), I don't really see much interaction of my classmates on there.

I like the free fax number you get on there...

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes they post interesting articles on the home page.... Otherwise.... Not too much usefulness comes from that site.

I haven't found a use for it. Seems like a massive circle jerk for the most part. I did update my profile 4 years ago for the reasons you pointed out, but haven't been back since.

They did just introduce a calling app that allows you to mask your outgoing number as your office (or I suppose, any) number so that when you're on call and calling patients, you don't have to *67 them (about half of the calls I make this way get blocked). I'm kind if curious to try it. I'll see if I can use "911" as the number I'm calling from.

I recently started using the dialer app and it actually works well. Unfortunately, you have to enter a 10-digit number to show up on caller ID so the 911 idea won't fly.

I haven't found Doximity useful for anything else. The salary map isn't helpful for new grads looking for jobs. In my specialty (like many of the others), the average respondent is 20+ years out of medical school.

Free fax number. I use it often.

Assume so, to. Just got mine this morning. Haven't tested it out yet. Yay - more crap to add to my business cards and email sigs! But it beats running around trying to find where your stuff is going [at least, I hope].

To your account. Email notice sent on arrival. Supposedly hipaa compliant.
Definitely makes it easier to do what you're supposed to do with Faxes...trash them.

Hey 21st century medical system in America...1986 called, they want their technology back.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely makes it easier to do what you're supposed to do with Faxes...trash them.

Hey 21st century medical system in America...1986 called, they want their technology back.
I'm set up where faxes come into the inbox of my EMR which I then assign to the proper patient. Its essentially paperless on my end.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm set up where faxes come into the inbox of my EMR which I then assign to the proper patient. Its essentially paperless on my end.

It's quite unfortunate that as an attending physician that is a responsibility you have (to manually assign the faxes you receive to a patient's chart within the EMR) on top of running your clinic or whatever your clinical responsibilities happen to be.

Reactions: 1 users
It's quite unfortunate that as an attending physician that is a responsibility you have (to manually assign the faxes you receive to a patient's chart within the EMR) on top of running your clinic or whatever your clinical responsibilities happen to be.
Meh, I could have my MA do it but this way I review it at the same time. It's functionally no different than you having to sign off on radiology reports or consultant notes.

Meh, I could have my MA do it but this way I review it at the same time. It's functionally no different than you having to sign off on radiology reports or consultant notes.
Oh my...I don't know how many FAXes you get a day but even my staff have trouble keeping up with it, so I can't imagine doing it myself. Besides, a fair bit of it is stuff I don't actually need to review (referrals, copies of insurance cards, even some SPAM).

So those of you who use Doximity for the FAX number, why? Do you not have a FAX number at work, or is it just that its not private?

Oh my...I don't know how many FAXes you get a day but even my staff have trouble keeping up with it, so I can't imagine doing it myself. Besides, a fair bit of it is stuff I don't actually need to review (referrals, copies of insurance cards, even some SPAM).

So those of you who use Doximity for the FAX number, why? Do you not have a FAX number at work, or is it just that its not private?

I can fax from home via a scanner and uploaded pdf. I don't use it for work.

For the sorting it yourself part of the conversation, like @VA Hopeful Dr mentioned: Is receiving faxes to EMR a part of meaningful use? (Or possibly on the horizon). It does seem like it would be helpful as the tool itself (regardless of who does the sorting). I was rotating at a clinic that was pretty efficient at it (MA's attaching... I think the EMR was eCW but not sure). [edit: this is a general question, I haven't been paying attention to the most recent meaningful use requirements]

For using doximity: I'm not sure how useful it'll be yet, but I do work at different sites and sometimes won't be back at the same site for a fairly long period of time. So, I've had to have one clinic fax something to a second clinic so I could sign [whatever it was that needed signing]. Plus, I do collaborate with researchers at different universities but am an adjunct faculty at a distant one. It seems like it would be helpful to have my non-clinical stuff going to a specific place than wherever I happen to be working at the time.

For the sorting it yourself part of the conversation, like @VA Hopeful Dr mentioned: Is receiving faxes to EMR a part of meaningful use? (Or possibly on the horizon). It does seem like it would be helpful as the tool itself (regardless of who does the sorting). I was rotating at a clinic that was pretty efficient at it (MA's attaching... I think the EMR was eCW but not sure). [edit: this is a general question, I haven't been paying attention to the most recent meaningful use requirements]

We use eCW and it is pretty easy to attach the incoming documents to a patient's chart; we get about 100 FAXes a day so it can pile up if you don't do it every day.

Meaningful Use requires that at least 10% of your Summary of Care be transmitted electronically. A couple of months ago I wanted to FAX something the old school way to my accountant (personal) and my staff couldn't even remember whether the FAX machine required that I dial a "9" first...lol that's how long its been.

Old school FAXes also are not HIPAA secure which is another issue with them.

For using doximity: I'm not sure how useful it'll be yet, but I do work at different sites and sometimes won't be back at the same site for a fairly long period of time. So, I've had to have one clinic fax something to a second clinic so I could sign [whatever it was that needed signing]. Plus, I do collaborate with researchers at different universities but am an adjunct faculty at a distant one. It seems like it would be helpful to have my non-clinical stuff going to a specific place than wherever I happen to be working at the time.

Seems like you should be able to sign things electronically like using DocuSign rather than physically printing things out and sending it back. Send documents via a secure server, upload to DocuSign and then send back securely. Ta dah!

I use a scanner app on my phone and can send as a PDF via email, text, "fax" etc.

Seems like you should be able to sign things electronically like using DocuSign rather than physically printing things out and sending it back. Send documents via a secure server, upload to DocuSign and then send back securely. Ta dah!

OMG, you ARE a wizard!

A dozen on a busy day, but you do have to remember that I run a very low volume clinic (a busy day for me is 10 patients).

Ah gotcha. Between my partner and I, we may move 80-90 patients through a day.
Which is why you have more staff than I do. Its me and a single MA, so I often do more clerical-type work than most physicians are used to. Why, sometimes I even answer the phone myself.

I also use the Doximity fax feature. Part of it is obviously just to have a personal fax number for whatever random fax I would need to receive instead of trying to maintain an landline/fax at home or get stuff at work. I mostly use it though at work to get outside patient records. For me it's just easier to call somewhere to request a cath or op report and have it faxed to me where I can pull it up electronically on my phone, tablet or any computer than trying to have it faxed to one of any number of physical fax machines in the hospital and then having to walk back to it to pick it up when I have moved on to a different floor.

I agree in that it would be nice to move beyond fax though until some sort of other electronic solution is adopted instead of just plain unsecured email I'm not sure when that would happen.

Which is why you have more staff than I do. Its me and a single MA, so I often do more clerical-type work than most physicians are used to. Why, sometimes I even answer the phone myself.
Ha ha...I've been known to do the same myself.

But as one of my Chiefs used to say, "I'm the best damn intern (MA/receptionist) you've ever seen, but if I"m doing your job, why are you here?"

Sounds like it works for you. :thumbup:

Ha ha...I've been known to do the same myself.

But as one of my Chiefs used to say, "I'm the best damn intern (MA/receptionist) you've ever seen, but if I"m doing your job, why are you here?"

Sounds like it works for you. :thumbup:
Yep, the more I do the fewer people I have to pay to do it.

Last I checked, my overhead is only around 35% or so

I get a personal fax number through myfax.com for $10/month. Likely not HIPAA compliant but I don't use it for work. Would rather pay $10/month than sign up for Doximetry which I view with great suspicion for attempting to rank things which are difficult to quantify.

Seriously? Outside of DPC I rarely hear of anything under about 50%
Yep, I'm told ours averages 31%. A lot of it has to be volume purchases driving down the cost. Malpractice is pretty cheap here compared to other states. Like most, our biggest expense is employee wages.

What's DPC?

Yep, I'm told ours averages 31%. A lot of it has to be volume purchases driving down the cost. Malpractice is pretty cheap here compared to other states. Like most, our biggest expense is employee wages.

What's DPC?
I wonder if it's also due to surgeons generating significantly more gross revenue than us PCPs.

Direct primary care

I wonder if it's also due to surgeons generating significantly more gross revenue than us PCPs.

I'm sure that's it - we also have little overhead in terms of medical office supplies. We don't have medications, vaccines, etc in the office. A few syringes, needles and dressing supplies .

Direct primary care
Ah thanks.