DPA vs. TPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me a little about the difference between DPA and TPA. I know that one is diagnositic and one is therapeutic, but... can't say I really know what those words mean in reference to classes of drugs. I know that every state has DPA privileges available to optometrists, but are there still some states without TPA privileges? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

prettygreeneyes said:
Can someone tell me a little about the difference between DPA and TPA. I know that one is diagnositic and one is therapeutic, but... can't say I really know what those words mean in reference to classes of drugs. I know that every state has DPA privileges available to optometrists, but are there still some states without TPA privileges? Thanks.

I'm only familiar with SC, but its a start.

A diagnostically certified OD can only use medications for diagnostic purposes. In SC, those medications are limited to "anesthetics, mydriatics, cycloplegics, miotics, dyes, and over-the-counter drugs". So, basically, diagnostically certified ODs in South Carolina can diagnose disease but can't actually do anything about it, pharmaceutically anyway.

Therapeutically certified OD can do everything a diagnostically certified OD can, plus prescribe drugs. What drugs are allowed varies from state to state. SC allows all topical drugs (although steroids can only be used for 21 days before consulting an MD). Oral meds are limited to "antihistamines, antimicrobial, antiglaucoma, over-the-counter drugs, and analgesics for the treatment of ocular and ocular adnexal eye disease" and analgesics only for 7 days (plenty of time for corneal abrasions to heal up).

Last I checked, which was back in April, every state had therapeutically certified ODs with some Rx rights. What drugs varies considerably. The AOA has a page on their website that shows what states have what rights. Seeing as I'm not an OD, I can't access it. Perhaps someone else could look that up and post anything relevant.

VA Hopeful Dr said:
Therapeutically certified OD can do everything a diagnostically certified OD can, plus prescribe drugs. What drugs are allowed varies from state to state. SC allows all topical drugs (although steroids can only be used for 21 days before consulting an MD). Oral meds are limited to "antihistamines, antimicrobial, antiglaucoma, over-the-counter drugs, and analgesics for the treatment of ocular and ocular adnexal eye disease" and analgesics only for 7 days (plenty of time for corneal abrasions to heal up).
QUOTE]

What states allow oral antibiotics?

Members don't see this ad :)
VA Hopeful Dr said:
Last I checked, which was back in April, every state had therapeutically certified ODs with some Rx rights. What drugs varies considerably. The AOA has a page on their website that shows what states have what rights. Seeing as I'm not an OD, I can't access it. Perhaps someone else could look that up and post anything relevant.

I'm on it.... ;) I'll see what I can post by accessing the AOA Doctor webpage :)

oral.gif

cpw said:
I'm on it.... ;) I'll see what I can post by accessing the AOA Doctor webpage :)

Excellent :D :D ... I had a feeling that the answer might lie behind the mysterious door :eek: of the member's only page on the AOA website! No one else on the internet seemed to have a "summary" of the laws.

The controlled substance guidelines are in PDF format and it won't let me cut and paste it... sorry :(

cpw... What's going on in Florida? No TPA privileges? Or am I reading the map wrong? Possible... :oops: Edit: Sorry... didn't read all of the prior posts! Isn't it a general rule that states with optometry schools tend to have progressive laws regarding optometry? What's NOVA doing?

prettygreeneyes said:
cpw... What's going on in Florida? No TPA privileges? Or am I reading the map wrong? Possible... :oops:

Drops only... no oral meds (period)

So, I can treat glaucoma, manage red eyes,allergies (drops only), dry eye, use ocular ointments, etc.

But, no oral meds of any kind. Actually, you'd be surprised how few times you actually need it. Basically, there are different LEVELS of TPA... it's still TPA, but on a more limited scale.

prettygreeneyes said:
Isn't it a general rule that states with optometry schools tend to have progressive laws regarding optometry? What's NOVA doing?

Not really... look at Florida, New York, and Illinois.. all have big schools and are more limited scope of practice. usually it just means those states have HUGE AMA sections to lobby against optometry. (especially Florida)

prettygreeneyes said:
cpw... What's going on in Florida? No TPA privileges? Or am I reading the map wrong? Possible... :oops: Edit: Sorry... didn't read all of the prior posts! Isn't it a general rule that states with optometry schools tend to have progressive laws regarding optometry? What's NOVA doing?
From everything I have seen Florida Optometry is not Optometry friendly. They REALLY do not want you to practice there. (ie ridiculous high test fees, exams that defy logic, forcing grads after 5 years to RETAKE the ENTIRE National Boards..give me a freaking break. Can you say turf protection?? And I grew up in Florida and did some college even,DAMN IT!! Boo FLORIDA BOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but go gators!) :D

drmhyde said:
From everything I have seen Florida Optometry is not Optometry friendly. They REALLY do not want you to practice there. (ie ridiculous high test fees, exams that defy logic, forcing grads after 5 years to RETAKE the ENTIRE National Boards..give me a freaking break. Can you say turf protection?? And I grew up in Florida and did some college even,DAMN IT!! Boo FLORIDA BOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but go gators!) :D

But our daily rate here is muuuuch higher ;) (unless you reaaaaly wanna live in Miami )