DPM (application deadline), researchers DPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nihitmehta

Osteopathic Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DPM, first and foremost,
1. When is the next DPM application deadline? (what time does it admit for, i.e. what month can you join the school)?

2. My scores as follows, 29 MCAT, 3.72 GPA. Is that good for a Dual Degree program along with a DPM degree?

3. What schools are best for DPM degree?

4. Is there any scholarship for DPM school? (specifically and what kind of requirements do DPM need to fill)

Members don't see this ad.

Google is your friend....

Reactions: 1 users
What kind of dual degree are you looking for, out of curiosity?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Look it up.
2) You'll have no difficulty garnering an acceptance to any podiatry school with those stats unless the seats are already filled. I would strongly discourage you from pursuing a dual degree during school. Note - I am not saying I would discourage you from doing research in school.
3) Two years down - I would choose DMU again.
4) Schools call them scholarships, but I don't buy it. Its essentially a tuition discount - a marketing gimmick. Watch out for the fine print - specific GPA, class rank, and any other catches.

Hello,
Thank You, all of you for your response. I am considering the MPH degree

I think that would be a total waste of your time and money. If you want to do podiatry then commit yourself to it. If you are truly motivated then there is always something more you could be doing in your classes. There's always more journal articles and surgery textbooks that you could be looking at. There's always something you've already covered that you could look back on to hammer in. Get your DPM. Get an awesome residency at a place of your choosing - perhaps at a large academic medical center. Then use the connections you've developed to get an MPH when you are at the height of your knowledge where you want to do it. Don't "fall" into one of these programs because they are "convenient" or "its just another year". This is something you should go into eyes wide open with a plan. What doors will this MPH open for me. What will be different about my skill set when I finish this additional, expensive, time consuming program. I have an MPH (not from DMU - prior to podiatry school) - none of the classes I took during it matched the difficulty of a single science class at DMU. Too many of the classes were terribly unfocused. There weren't enough classes in my discipline. I didn't have a plan - it was convenient, easy, and worthless. Don't settle for something. Don't fall into something. Develop a core strong knowledge set in podiatry and then open the doors you want to open.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that would be a total waste of your time and money. If you want to do podiatry then commit yourself to it. If you are truly motivated then there is always something more you could be doing in your classes. There's always more journal articles and surgery textbooks that you could be looking at. There's always something you've already covered that you could look back on to hammer in. Get your DPM. Get an awesome residency at a place of your choosing - perhaps at a large academic medical center. Then use the connections you've developed to get an MPH when you are at the height of your knowledge where you want to do it. Don't "fall" into one of these programs because they are "convenient" or "its just another year". This is something you should go into eyes wide open with a plan. What doors will this MPH open for me. What will be different about my skill set when I finish this additional, expensive, time consuming program. I have an MPH (not from DMU - prior to podiatry school) - none of the classes I took during it matched the difficulty of a single science class at DMU. Too many of the classes were terribly unfocused. There weren't enough classes in my discipline. I didn't have a plan - it was convenient, easy, and worthless. Don't settle for something. Don't fall into something. Develop a core strong knowledge set in podiatry and then open the doors you want to open.

Would you say the same thing about a MHA during pod school? I would like to one day run my own practice and I think it will be beneficial to have a MHA along with my DPM. And it is convenient to get both done in the same amount of years. I do understand it will be in addition to a heavy course load already.

Last edited:
Would you say the something about a MHA during pod school? I would like to one day run my own practice and I think it will be beneficial to have a MHA along with my DPM. And it is convenient to get both done in the same amount of years. I do understand it will be in addition to a heavy course load already.

I don't claim to know much about MHAs, but what does "beneficial" even mean. What exactly will it do for you? And why exactly would you need to acquire it in school and not down the road? Ask yourself these questions. Our schools tend to be fixated on tuition - its how they keep the lights on. Why here? Why now? How much? How can it be "convenient" to take extra course-work during a time where you are already getting hammered with coursework and should be devoting yourself to reinforcement and mastery. The vast majority of podiatrists are in small practices. Do they all need MHA degrees? Are you hoping to be an administrator or is this supposed to open academic doors? If you want to open academic doors then it seems to me a degree from a more prestigious institution would be in line or that you should consider that old rule about not having all your letters from the same place. Do you believe this will somehow allow you to more efficiently monetize a small practice? Could there possibly be better or cheaper ways to improvement the management through online coursework or accounting/marketing classes? Last of all - do you believe an MHA would help you acquire a residency?

I don't claim to know much about MHAs, but what does "beneficial" even mean. What exactly will it do for you? And why exactly would you need to acquire it in school and not down the road? Ask yourself these questions. Our schools tend to be fixated on tuition - its how they keep the lights on. Why here? Why now? How much? How can it be "convenient" to take extra course-work during a time where you are already getting hammered with coursework and should be devoting yourself to reinforcement and mastery. The vast majority of podiatrists are in small practices. Do they all need MHA degrees? Are you hoping to be an administrator or is this supposed to open academic doors? If you want to open academic doors then it seems to me a degree from a more prestigious institution would be in line or that you should consider that old rule about not having all your letters from the same place. Do you believe this will somehow allow you to more efficiently monetize a small practice? Could there possibly be better or cheaper ways to improvement the management through online coursework or accounting/marketing classes? Last of all - do you believe an MHA would help you acquire a residency?

Thank for your response. I definitely don't believe a MHA will help with acquiring a residency. And I'm not interested in academia, at least not yet. The sole purpose of my pursuing a MHA is so that I can efficiently run my own practice when the time comes. I haven't completely set my mind on a dual degree program. I agree that if need be, I can always take coursework in finance/business or whatever else I'll need to understand the business side. I appreciate your input.

Thank for your response. I definitely don't believe a MHA will help with acquiring a residency. And I'm not interested in academia, at least not yet. The sole purpose of my pursuing a MHA is so that I can efficiently run my own practice when the time comes. I haven't completely set my mind on a dual degree program. I agree that if need be, I can always take coursework in finance/business or whatever else I'll need to understand the business side. I appreciate your input.
Just a thought, but you could save yourself the time/money during podiatry school and take a one-year, online MBA course at some point to fill in whatever gaps you feel you're missing in business savvy. This could be something you do at any point since it's online, thus eliminating any interruption in the key years when focus should primarily be directed toward your specialty (in my opinion).

Reactions: 1 user