Dpm/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any opportunities for a DPM with a MPH to practice in international health?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of any opportunities for a DPM with a MPH to practice in international health?

One must remember that many professional degrees are unique to this country. DPMs, DOs, ODs, DCs, PAs, NPs, ect are American made.

Some countries make it easy to earn privledges, others are not as easy. But anything can be done with a little work. I do not think that a MPH is necessary to get this accomplished.

Actually, yes. There are some schools that offer a 5 year DPM/MPH program such as Temple University College of Podiatric Medicine.

If you're interested in joining the military as an army-podiatric physician afterwards...thats also a good career path to go with a DPM/MPH.

Other areas also include positions in the:
CDC
NIH
multiple biomedical engineering firms (Johns Hopkins, Marquette).

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, yes. There are some schools that offer a 5 year DPM/MPH program such as Temple University College of Podiatric Medicine.

If you're interested in joining the military as an army-podiatric physician afterwards...thats also a good career path to go with a DPM/MPH.

Other areas also include positions in the:
CDC
NIH
multiple biomedical engineering firms (Johns Hopkins, Marquette).

You don't need to go into a five year program. Most schools have a dual degree that can be achieved in 4 years.

You don't need to go into a five year program. Most schools have a dual degree that can be achieved in 4 years.

Really? Personally I've been looking towards Barry, Temple, Scholl and Ohio podiatry schools and so far only Temple offers a joint DPM/MPH degree in 5 years. Which is kind of wierd how they operate is in that the first two years the student will complete his basic science requirements and afterwards will take a 1 year leave to finish the required courses necessary for the MPH at Temple. After that 1 year, the student goes back and finishes the remainding 2 years and graduates with a dual DPM/MPH.

I personally want to get into Temple's DPM/MPH program particularly in my interest to work internationally (south east asia/ asia-pacific) and provide much needed podiatric care in those regions; considering the podiatric facilities in some countries in that part of the world is sub par or nonexistant. Scholl mentioned something about that as well when I talked to the councilor, but didnt really talk about international care. Perhaps you could point me to the right direction?

At Scholl, we have this joint program where you get your DPM and masters in healthcare management in four years. The masters program will be online courses, so you could take the courses during your free time.

Really? Personally I've been looking towards Barry, Temple, Scholl and Ohio podiatry schools and so far only Temple offers a joint DPM/MPH degree in 5 years. Which is kind of wierd how they operate is in that the first two years the student will complete his basic science requirements and afterwards will take a 1 year leave to finish the required courses necessary for the MPH at Temple. After that 1 year, the student goes back and finishes the remainding 2 years and graduates with a dual DPM/MPH.

I personally want to get into Temple's DPM/MPH program particularly in my interest to work internationally (south east asia/ asia-pacific) and provide much needed podiatric care in those regions; considering the podiatric facilities in some countries in that part of the world is sub par or nonexistant. Scholl mentioned something about that as well when I talked to the councilor, but didnt really talk about international care. Perhaps you could point me to the right direction?

DMU offers a four year dual degree program in either MPH or MHA. The classes are offered on the weekends and at night. Some courses are alos offered online.

It is tough to "point" in the right direction b/c you will be paving new ground. While there are pods that do work on missions; I don't know many that are dedicated to international medicine. If I was to give you any advice I would email doctors without borders or other large international groups that would have better knowledge in the area.

DMU offers a four year dual degree program in either MPH or MHA. The classes are offered on the weekends and at night. Some courses are alos offered online.

It is tough to "point" in the right direction b/c you will be paving new ground. While there are pods that do work on missions; I don't know many that are dedicated to international medicine. If I was to give you any advice I would email doctors without borders or other large international groups that would have better knowledge in the area.

Thanks mate for the referral to DMU's dual programs; I will be seriously looking into that. By the way, my apologies if Im straying off topic, how is the student life in DMU (academic as well as social)?

Best,

Thanks mate for the referral to DMU's dual programs; I will be seriously looking into that. By the way, my apologies if Im straying off topic, how is the student life in DMU (academic as well as social)?

Best,

I can tell you are new to SDN, we never stay on topic. :laugh:

I really like the environment b/c I don't feel that there is a cut throat feeling to the college. By that I mean, the student usually work well together to achieve more as a class. Class achievements like board pass rates are important to everyone.

I'm not sure if this is b/c of the integration of the program with the DOs (i.e. we like to work hard to try to out score our counterparts on exams; a friendly DO/DPM rivalry), or what is that cause.

As for social, there are a lot of married DPMs. But you have to remember that even if half the class is married (i.e. 30 students) you have all of the DO, PA, and DPT students to hang out with also. I know that we have members of my class that are married or are dating another student in all of the programs that I listed. So the chance of finding a nice mate, mate, are very good. The close ties that I feel with my class extend out the the other programs. I have partied with them all. :thumbup:

DMU's dual degree program is a good deal that I'm still debating but leaning towards not doing right now...

All classes will be offered online within the next year or two for the convenience of the students so one could even complete it during residency (although I wouldn't want to try...). The tuition rate is half off for students or those that have just graduated from the program. I can't remember the exact credit hours but some overlap with other classes in the DPM program so you take a bit less then if you were just taking the MPH or MHA degree. Towards the end, one is required to do an internship that brings together all of their knowledge that they have learned from the program. Again, not sure how many weeks though.

I'm sure if you were curious then you could find more information or details on DMU's website or those of any of the other schools for that matter.