DPT 2016-2017 Essay Prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on the new prompt for the upcoming 2016-2017 cycle

" What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program?"

I was so ready to nail the previous prompt, and this one just seems a little vague in comparison. Do you guys interpret it as "what is professionalism as a DPT student" which would be interesting... or "as a DPT student, what does professionalism in the PT field look like".

I'm just looking at how I should interpret and then go about this. Seems a little tricky to use this prompt as a "personal essay". Any input would be great and best of luck to everyone applying in the upcoming months!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's basically asking:
a. What does professionalism mean to you? You can tie in the behavior of PTs you've observed in the PT field in this part.
b. How will you exhibit these qualities as a DPT student, citing specific examples from your personal, academic, and work experiences.

I think it's basically asking:
a. What does professionalism mean to you? You can tie in the behavior of PTs you've observed in the PT field in this part.
b. How will you exhibit these qualities as a DPT student, citing specific examples from your personal, academic, and work experiences.
The problem is that this question doesn't address "you" the writer as past years questions. It is vague. I find it hard to tie in personal experience when it doesn't ask for it at all. I would be hesitant to do that because that's really not what the question is asking. That's just my interpretation though! Everybody interprets things different

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that this question doesn't address "you" the writer as past years questions. It is vague. I find it hard to tie in personal experience when it doesn't ask for it at all. I would be hesitant to do that because that's really not what the question is asking. That's just my interpretation though! Everybody interprets things different

I'm curious as to how you would interpret this question?

I'm curious as to how you would interpret this question?
Sorry if I came off as rude or anything like that.

For me, this question doesn't address the writer at all. That's why it's tricky. I'm confused as to why it didn't say something like " how will you exhibit professionalism as a dpt student if accepted into a program?"

I haven't decided how to tackle this yet.

Sorry if I came off as rude or anything like that.

For me, this question doesn't address the writer at all. That's why it's tricky. I'm confused as to why it didn't say something like " how will you exhibit professionalism as a dpt student if accepted into a program?"

I haven't decided how to tackle this yet.

No, not rude not all. I just thought the you part was implied in the question, because the essay is always about getting to know you as a person. I also remember a student that I knew who interviewed at LIU just last cycle that was asked a similar question during the interview: what does professionalism mean to you?

No, not rude not all. I just thought the you part was implied in the question, because the essay is always about getting to know you as a person. I also remember a student that I knew who interviewed at LIU just last cycle that was asked a similar question during the interview: what does professionalism mean to you?

Yep, basically i'm in the same boat as Wiscoguy. It's hard to tie in personal experiences due to the nature of how the prompt is asked. The previous few prompts, specifically last years made it easier to do so.

Anyways, thanks for your input! If you have anything else to add in the coming weeks/months leading up to application time feel free.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
I am super lost but how did you find out about this upcoming cycle's essay prompt?

Happy I got in already. I think you can tie some experiences in the essay. Last year I had an introduction that had nothing to do with the prompt and got in my top 2 schools. Not saying you should do that though.

Happy I got in already. I think you can tie some experiences in the essay. Last year I had an introduction that had nothing to do with the prompt and got in my top 2 schools. Not saying you should do that though.
That's awesome! I'm a much bigger fan of last years prompt, haha.

Do you remember if the character count accounts for spaces as well? And for your essays did you follow any particular format?

That's awesome! I'm a much bigger fan of last years prompt, haha.

Do you remember if the character count accounts for spaces as well? And for your essays did you follow any particular format?

Yea they count if I can remember right. Write it in microsoft word first. Get it corrected many times. No format make sure you answer the question and also stand out. My 3 sentence intro definitely pulled the reader in.

Yea so what the above commenter stated, they want you to incorporate your views or professionalism and your past experiences. What the question is right out asking is What is [your view/opinion of] professionalism in the context of being a student in a DPT professional program. They just assume that you know the topic is supposed to be towards you. PTCAS always likes to leave the question very vague because that allows for different essays. If they asked a very direct question, they get all the same essays basically from every student. They want to see how creative students are in working with vague ideas and creating something that stands out, because that will show your creative side which is used in many parts of PT. Even during the previous essay I had one girl tell me everything I wrote about in my essay wasn't what they were asking, yet every interview I went on they said they specifically remembered my essay because it stood out and really brought new ideas alongside answering the question. For this years essay, I personally would set up my essay with a visual story in my PT experience when I was volunteering/interning/working where professionalism stood out to me. Then I'd continue on to how that's shaped my professionalism up until this point in life today. I'd move on to how I foresee that professionalism used in school, and talk about what areas maybe you could gain great knowledge regarding professionalism, and where you see yourself as a professional in the future and what you may plan to be doing.

Reactions: 1 users