DPT 2018-2019: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andkw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: University of Delaware
Major: B.S. in Health Behavior Science
Minor: Health, Physical Activity, and Disability
Honors: Summa Cum Laude (Will graduate this month)
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (So far... still have a few science courses to complete)
GRE: 154 V, 153 Q, 5.0 AWA
LOR: 1 from department chair, 1 from professor, 1 from physical therapist
Observation Hours: 350 split between following settings: Outpatient orthopedics/neurology, outpatient pediatric, pediatric preschool, skilled nursing facility
Extracurriculars: Research assistant for intervention aimed at reducing weight among youth with autism spectrum disorder, fitness center supervisor at a senior center, mentor for students with disabilities in a land/aquatic physical activity program, camp counselor, group therapy facilitator for children who have lost loved ones
*Will be working as an aide at an outpatient orthopedic/neurology clinic during my gap year
Certifications: CPR/AED
Plan on applying to: Temple, Drexel, Widener, Arcadia, University of the Sciences, Jefferson

Concerns:

I am a bit concerned about my GRE scores... They aren't bad, but they aren't great. There is a bit of a discrepancy between my high GPA and average GRE scores. Should I retake?

I have not been able to find an opportunity to shadow in a hospital/acute setting, but I do not know how much this will influence my application.

Lastly, and my largest concern, I have taken a few of the science pre-reqsuities at a local community college mainly to save money (I am paying out of state tuition, and the core sciences were not included in my major of study), and the CC offers flexible night time courses which is more convenient for me, since I was completing two internships this past semester and could not go to school during the day. I have received all A's in these courses to date.

Any recommendations for improvement are appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Just make sure you keep the same GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Undergrad: University of Delaware
Major: B.S. in Health Behavior Science
Minor: Health, Physical Activity, and Disability
Honors: Summa Cum Laude (Will graduate this month)
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0 (So far... still have a few science courses to complete)
GRE: 154 V, 153 Q, 5.0 AWA
LOR: 1 from department chair, 1 from professor, 1 from physical therapist
Observation Hours: 350 split between following settings: Outpatient orthopedics/neurology, outpatient pediatric, pediatric preschool, skilled nursing facility
Extracurriculars: Research assistant for intervention aimed at reducing weight among youth with autism spectrum disorder, fitness center supervisor at a senior center, mentor for students with disabilities in a land/aquatic physical activity program, camp counselor, group therapy facilitator for children who have lost loved ones
*Will be working as an aide at an outpatient orthopedic/neurology clinic during my gap year
Certifications: CPR/AED
Plan on applying to: Temple, Drexel, Widener, Arcadia, University of the Sciences, Jefferson

Concerns:

I am a bit concerned about my GRE scores... They aren't bad, but they aren't great. There is a bit of a discrepancy between my high GPA and average GRE scores. Should I retake?

I have not been able to find an opportunity to shadow in a hospital/acute setting, but I do not know how much this will influence my application.

Lastly, and my largest concern, I have taken a few of the science pre-reqsuities at a local community college mainly to save money (I am paying out of state tuition, and the core sciences were not included in my major of study), and the CC offers flexible night time courses which is more convenient for me, since I was completing two internships this past semester and could not go to school during the day. I have received all A's in these courses to date.

Any recommendations for improvement are appreciated. Thanks!

SNF is considered in patient as far as I know, so your volunteering is set.
I applied to the same schools and got accepted pretty much everywhere with stats well below yours. I didnt get into Arcadia because my verbal GRE was 150 and they want 151.
One word of advice from my experience. DO NOT apply to u of sciences, because you will definitely get into every where else. Their tuition is something around 60k per year and they want like 20 pre reqs. Its by far the most expensive program out of all of them. Save yourself $50 bucks and apply everywhere else.
Widener accepted me next day after the interview, but i didnt like their campus and they don't have cadaver lab at all.
Yaaa. If you have any other concerns let me know. Just don't apply to u of sciences haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I agree about U Sciences, they have the highest tuition by far. Temple, Arcadia, and Drexel are my top picks as of now. Where will you be attending, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! I agree about U Sciences, they have the highest tuition by far. Temple, Arcadia, and Drexel are my top picks as of now. Where will you be attending, if you don't mind me asking?
I am going to Temple. I had very personal reasons though- 1. Drexel wanted 2 extra bio prereqs, while i was done for Temple, so i didnt wanna spend cash and effort on that. Also drexel begins in Sept, while temple starts in june. And ofcourse drexel semesters are super short since they have 4 of them.. i didn't want to b under constant stress of midterms and finals. The down side is the drexel is like 10 or 15 k cheaper than temple.

Congrats! Temple's program seems great. Maybe I will see you around there someday :)

Kindly forgive my ignorance. I am a girl student ( a USA citizen) but graduated from University of Toronto Canada.My cumulative GPA is 3.5 and subjects are Chemistry with Lab , Anatomy with Lab , Physiology with Lab , Physics with Lab.,Psychology, Statistics, Biology with Lab ,English writing,English Literature,Sociology,Developmental Psychology and Medical Terminology.
I will write GRE in this May2018 .I will do evaluation of my Canadian Bachelor Degree from WES (World Education Services ) Canada by end of May 2018 . I have combination of Grades,B,C,D. Low GPA. .I have 2 references fro professors and one from physiotherapist .I did not try in Canada s they r asking around 3.9 GPA . Kindly advise me which USA universities,must,I apply for admission in DPT (Doctor in physical therapy) .

There are several hundred DPT programs in the US, but what part of the country would you want to go to school in? Would you want to stay local to where you currently live, or would you be willing to relocate? This was how I chose the list of schools I want to apply to, since I definitely want to stay local.

There are several hundred DPT programs in the US, but what part of the country would you want to go to school in? Would you want to stay local to where you currently live, or would you be willing to relocate? This was how I chose the list of schools I want to apply to, since I definitely want to stay local.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much andkw for reply.
1- I will stay close to my parent in Toronto.So will preffer any University in northern USA .Easy to commute with Toronto.Can I transfer,in second year to any northern university of USA,,if I get luckily admission in any southern part university. ??

SNF is considered in patient as far as I know, so your volunteering is set.
I applied to the same schools and got accepted pretty much everywhere with stats well below yours. I didnt get into Arcadia because my verbal GRE was 150 and they want 151.
One word of advice from my experience. DO NOT apply to u of sciences, because you will definitely get into every where else. Their tuition is something around 60k per year and they want like 20 pre reqs. Its by far the most expensive program out of all of them. Save yourself $50 bucks and apply everywhere else.
Widener accepted me next day after the interview, but i didnt like their campus and they don't have cadaver lab at all.
Yaaa. If you have any other concerns let me know. Just don't apply to u of sciences haha
Off topic, but what do they do for anatomy without cadaver labs, do you know?? Just curious

Do you mean transfer from one physical therapy program to another? I don't think that is possible, but I'm not fully sure. Also, I would recommend looking into PT schools in New York state. I'm not familiar with any specific programs in NY, but I'm sure there are quite a few!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mean transfer from one physical therapy program to another? I don't think that is possible, but I'm not fully sure. Also, I would recommend looking into PT schools in New York state. I'm not familiar with any specific programs in NY, but I'm sure there are quite a few!
Dear andkw,
Thank you very much.. Transfer mean if I get admission in DPT in any universities in south , I may be able to transfer to any university in north,like Buffallo etc.My parents live in north in Toronto Canada. Otherwise kindly provide name of usa universities,in northern usa where I can get admission. I did not have Math and Calculus in my Transcript.My cummulat GPA is lower 4.4 .
There are 10 Physical therapy universities in Canada .Only 4 in my province Ontario but with GPA of 3.9 /4.0 and other provinces admit only their own province candidate..What a worse senario in Canada for physio students.Kindly provide name of all usa universties any where in USA who can give admission to me with lower GPA,please . I am USA citizen.

As far as I know most universities here in the USA do not accept transfers. You would have to start over if you decide to move to another state.
You should try UNE they are a very good northern university and they don’t require many pre requisites and there’s no minimum GRE score. Their minimum GPA is 3.0 for both pre requisites and overall.
I know many NY universities are kind of hard to get in because they Mostly accept in state students.

Off topic, but what do they do for anatomy without cadaver labs, do you know?? Just curious
They do it off campus. They share the lab with other university in Philly. I dont remember which one though.

Reactions: 1 user