DPT Admissions Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochi1620

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone know of an admissions counselor who works with DPT applicants? I have a non-traditional application (grades all over the place) and would like to hear from someone who is familiar with DPT admissions. There are a ton of admissions advisers for Undergrad programs, but I'm having difficulty finding someone who has experience with physical therapy graduate programs.

I'm applying to jobs now and have some big decisions to make; is it better to retake some classes or spend that time getting observation hours? Should I work full time as an aide at a PT clinic doing a fair amount of office work, or should I work part-time making (better money in a different field) so that I can volunteer part-time (experience would be in different settings and more client centered.)

I've contacted the program I'm interested in (USA) but felt like the advice was generic (do what you can to improve your application, anything you do to improve your application will help, it's a holistic review). I'm hoping if I speak with someone not affiliated with the school they'll be more able to be more forthcoming with honest advice.

I'm starting to feel some paralysis with all these big decisions and need to talk it out with someone who knows!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Does anyone know of an admissions counselor who works with DPT applicants? I have a non-traditional application (grades all over the place) and would like to hear from someone who is familiar with DPT admissions. There are a ton of admissions advisers for Undergrad programs, but I'm having difficulty finding someone who has experience with physical therapy graduate programs.

I'm applying to jobs now and have some big decisions to make; is it better to retake some classes or spend that time getting observation hours? Should I work full time as an aide at a PT clinic doing a fair amount of office work, or should I work part-time making (better money in a different field) so that I can volunteer part-time (experience would be in different settings and more client centered.)

I've contacted the program I'm interested in (USA) but felt like the advice was generic (do what you can to improve your application, anything you do to improve your application will help, it's a holistic review). I'm hoping if I speak with someone not affiliated with the school they'll be more able to be more forthcoming with honest advice.

I'm starting to feel some paralysis with all these big decisions and need to talk it out with someone who knows!

Thank you!
Posting your stats would probably help with trying to advise you what to do. This is probably the best place for recommendations, honestly.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you!
You can PM me if you want, I’m a non traditional student too, I have like 4 different transcripts, just going through interviews now, spent a lot of time on here figuring it all out.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you!

Definitely post your stats up here. What you decide do should depend on the strengths and weaknesses of your application (i.e. low GPA? retakes classes). Also, since you're looking at USA, I think they assign you an admissions counselor. Once you upload your grades and hours on their application site, they can make suggestions on whether or not you should apply for your desired semester or another cycle (or at least that's what they told me).

Thank you!

Feel free to PM me, I had grades all over the place and not ideal gpas