DPT paid by Military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greco13

PT, DPT, ECS, OCS, ATC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of opportunities in the military to get school paid for while in school besides through Baylor University?

Members don't see this ad.

For PT, that is the only way. They offer loan repayment and scholarships for medical school, dental, nurse and PA programs so it is kind of sad that there aren't over options for PT.

I have a friend who was asking me the same question, so I'm glad someone brought this up.

My friend was thinking about joining the air force and becoming an officer and he was wondering if the A.F. would then pay for his DPT, but idk if that's possible.

Is it for sure that Baylor is the only program where the military will pay for the DPT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading, although I cannot find it now, that both the AF and Navy have two spots each available to them in the Baylor Program. The rest are for Army with a max class of 24. I spoke with a Army health care recruiter and he said the admittance committee weighs heavy on extracurriculars and GRE verbal. Also, looking at the mean stats of previous classes it's easy to see how competitive admissions is.

You have to be active duty to earn one of the spots for Air Force or Navy at Baylor. No branch will pay for your DPT and then you join after. You can get your DPT and license and afterwards you can join and they can help with your student loans, but that is the only way. The reason there isn't really anything for PT is because most of PT is contracted over to private sector. They pay for what they can use, so thats why the MDs, PA, etc. are more actively recruited.

BTW, I dont know you or why you are asking, but do not join the service just because you want school paid for. There are other options for you to pay for school. The servicemen deserve someone who legitimately wants to be there, not just do their time and get out. This is something that really bothers me, as I grew up a military kid and plan on joining to be 4th generation service.

I spoke with a Army health care recruiter and he said the admittance committee weighs heavy on extracurriculars and GRE verbal. .

Can you expand on what the recruiter said? I spoke to one grad who said they want you to make a certain minimum and if not you might be able to get a waiver for the verbal section. He wasn't sure what the minimum was and as far as extracurriculars, I haven't heard that. Most people I talk to say observation hours are especially important and the motivation statement.

It's true that the Baylor DPT prgm is the only military prgm where the military will pay for you DPT. Idk who your recruiter was who told you that they just want you to get the minimum and then you can put a waiver in for the verbal section but is absolutely FALSE! The one thing that is not negotiable for a waiver is the GRE scores. This prgm is highly competitive and selective, so they don't want people that need to put in waivers. In fact, chances are that if you have to put in a waiver, they won't take you. The military is down sizing and now it can basically be as picky and selective as it wants for anyone trying to join, but especially people that are applying to highly competitive medical programs. What I was told last year by the officer that did my interview was that the prgm put big emphasis on overall GPA/GRE, Interview scores, and Statement of Motivations. Hope this helps! btw, who was your recruiter?? I might know them bc I applied last year.

Baylor is currently ranked 5th for DPT programs, and is highly competitive. Go to the web site and you will find info and a contact per your region. My rep was very informative, willing to discuss your stats, and possibilities. You do have to sign up, do training and I believe you earn an officer ranking. Best thing to do is call and speak to the person from your region.

I was speaking to an Active Duty physical therapist who finished the program in 2009. She was the one who mentioned the waiver. I'm not sure what the minimums were but I was talking to her about retaking the GRE and she brought that up. Yes, from what I've heard you're right, GRE/GPA, LORs, and statement of motivation are most impt.