DPT programs that have any dance medicine focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer2DPT

Reaction score
I have my BFA in dance and now am applying to DPT programs. Does anyone know of any programs that offer electives/courses in dance medicine?

The only program I know of so far is UCSF that offers a dance medicine elective.

My goal is to work in outpatient ortho with a focus on dancers and dance rehabilitation.

Members don't see this ad.

Well in DPT school the focus is to make you a general practitioner in the field of physical therapy. Your courses are pre assigned and fit within a specific curriculum set forth by the school and regulated by CAPTE. There are no electives in DPT school. The closest thing would be clinicals but even then your school will send you to locations.

I have my BFA in dance and now am applying to DPT programs. Does anyone know of any programs that offer electives/courses in dance medicine?

The only program I know of so far is UCSF that offers a dance medicine elective.

My goal is to work in outpatient ortho with a focus on dancers and dance rehabilitation.

I don't believe Duke has in specific courses in dance, but they have, or did have, a PT on faculty that works with dance festivals. Some, but only a limited number, of programs do offer electives. You usually only have one or two throughout the entire program though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well in DPT school the focus is to make you a general practitioner in the field of physical therapy. Your courses are pre assigned and fit within a specific curriculum set forth by the school and regulated by CAPTE. There are no electives in DPT school. The closest thing would be clinicals but even then your school will send you to locations.

My school allows us to choose our rotations! Just an FYI, some schools allow you to choose :)
We also are required to do a doctoral project...so while it's self-taught and not a course you are taking, someone could choose to do their capstone on dance in some manner. We are allowed to choose topics, just has to be approved

I know Ohio State DPT has created a fellowship for performing arts.